Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #169
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
They are definitely there. This doesn't mean playing at Coors will turn your hitting up .50 points either, but you can notice it. One thing you also can notice is pitch speeds. In DD I have 99 maxed out fastball velocity. At Coors when I pitch high in the zone I can hit 100 MPH. If I pitch at SD low in the zone it is only about 96-97 mph. Of course how tired your pitcher is and how much you put into your meter all affects this. Also breaking balls don't break as much at coors either.
Why wouldnt you compare throwing high in the zone in COL and High in the zone in SD as a comparison? In the game pitches high in the zone are generally faster and low pitches generally show slower speeds...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #170
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Still way too many 99's. Hamilton has no business being a 99. Tulo has no business being a 99. If anyone deserves a 99 its Votto. He's one of the 3 best hitters in the game.

Strasburg is a 99 as well? He's a good pitcher but aye carumba. He hasn't even pitched a full season yet. David Price has been much better than Strasburg and he's ranked lower? Trout also being a 99....No.
This is why I don't get too caught up in rankings before the game ships. They're whacky

Ratings people at SCEA are way too generous. The ratings need to be more spread out like they did with Madden.

Last edited by slickkill77; 02-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #171
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

No they should be like fifa where even messi and ronaldo dont go past a 96. No one is a 99, ever!!!

But you can edit the ratings so nothing to complain about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #172
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
Still way too many 99's. Hamilton has no business being a 99. Tulo has no business being a 99. If anyone deserves a 99 its Votto. He's one of the 3 best hitters in the game.

Strasburg is a 99 as well? He's a good pitcher but aye carumba. He hasn't even pitched a full season yet. David Price has been much better than Strasburg and he's ranked lower? Trout also being a 99....No.
This is why I don't get too caught up in rankings before the game ships. They're whacky

Ratings people at SCEA are way too generous. The ratings need to be more spread out like they did with Madden.
The ratings are plenty spread out. Just because someone has a 99 overall doesn't mean they have 99s all across the board. This game is great at differentiating the difference between plays in regards to ratings and accurately rates players who are bad at things and who are good at things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
No they should be like fifa where even messi and ronaldo dont go past a 96. No one is a 99, ever!!!

But you can edit the ratings so nothing to complain about.

The 99 overall literally means nothing. It's the result of an algebraic formula. They aren't going to artificially lower the specific ratings of elite level players just to be more like Fifa.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #173
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7

Then that means something in the formula isn't being weighed enough. What has Strasburg done to deserve a 99? Yes he is a very good pitcher but he's already suffered a major injury so his stamina/durability should be pretty low. What has he done that David Price hasn't already matched? Same thing with Tulo. Great player no doubt, but he can't stay healthy at all. Same thing with Hamilton. Also Hamilton strikes out a lot. That should be a factor.

99 ratings, regardless of what they represent, should only be for elite guys. Tulo, Hamilton, Strasburg...They are great players but they have faults that keep them from being elite. That's my problem with the ratings.

Plus this game struggles to show the difference between elite defenders and mediocre defenders. They either play like they are in little league (minors) or they all play pretty much the same (majors). I still think that is one of the major things holding the game back.

Last edited by slickkill77; 02-13-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #174
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I don't think Ramone's a 'stros fan, so you are alone in the world LOL. Oh wait, Lorne_SCEA is an Astros fan so OK, there are 2 of you.

I'm actually impartial to the Astros, and go to a good handful of their games, I accidentally rooted for them at least two times. My wife works for the Astros organization too, so they get some sympathy cheers. All jokes aside, the 'stros are OK with me too.

As for Altuve (and ratings in general) I wouldn't get too caught up in the OVR ratings, because of the way the algorithm is calculated. I can tell you that even not all the 99s play the same. Trout's 99 plays way differently than Posey's 99 or even Pujols' 99... actually Trout plays like he's at least a 115 rating!
While your joking that's not that far off from where he's rated. I think he was in the 110 118 range or something. When we looked at the spread sheet.

Also for the people who haven't jumped off the bridge already ( I think there are about 10 of you left :-) It's just a number and there are maybe 3 players in the game with almost maxed out ratings. For instance A.McCutchen ratings are

Con R 74
Con L 97
PWR R 68
PWR L 76

Visn 44
Disc 78
Clt 80
Dur 98

FLD 88
Arm str 75
Arm Acc 54
Reac 88

Spd 83
Br a 60
Br ag 56

Doesn't look crazy now does it. (I'm joking I know someone will have an issue with it I'll wait
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #175
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

Not complaining, but how does cutchs ratings then result in a 99?

Still dont understand how that adds up.

Once again can edit so not a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #176
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

yea please tell your competitors your ratings formula

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »