Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #193
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
That's what Ramone is saying...yes.

Actually....guys want there to be more separation...and what SCEA is doing allows for that.
Knocking down others doesn't expand the ratings to allow for more separation between players.

I do understand the confusion however.....

M.K.
Knight165

I'm also interpreting that as even if they "would" be rated as a 110 in a certain attribute, the sim engine only recognizes them as a 99.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #194
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
That's what Ramone is saying...yes.

Actually....guys want there to be more separation...and what SCEA is doing allows for that.
Knocking down others doesn't expand the ratings to allow for more separation between players.

I do understand the confusion however.....

M.K.
Knight165
Why does knocking down the ratings not do that for the players rated over 99? It wouldn't help for those rated below, in fact it would cause less separation for lower rated players if you scale it.

For instance if three players are rated 120, 110 and 99 the end user doesn't see this and doesn't know if the game rates one SS at 99 more than another at 99, even if one is 120 and one is 110 according to the game. To the player they are the same overall since they can't see what's under the hood.

If the game does think one player is better 120 vs 110, why not show this to the end user. So if 120 was the best player in the league it would be 99, 97, 95 or something for those three players. If its going to be there as a number, why not give the user this info? It does cause lower rated players to have less separation though if you scale it since its only an issue with players rated over 99. its just maybe people would be more accepting of the numbers on overall if all the top guys were not rated 99.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #195
Rookie

Bbush's Arena

OVR: 2
I like number ratings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #196
Rookie

Ligeann Dul Coileain's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Why does knocking down the ratings not do that for the players rated over 99? It wouldn't help for those rated below, in fact it would cause less separation for lower rated players if you scale it.

For instance if three players are rated 120, 110 and 99 the end user doesn't see this and doesn't know if the game rates one SS at 99 more than another at 99, even if one is 120 and one is 110 according to the game. To the player they are the same overall since they can't see what's under the hood.

If the game does think one player is better 120 vs 110, why not show this to the end user. So if 120 was the best player in the league it would be 99, 97, 95 or something for those three players. If its going to be there as a number, why not give the user this info? It does cause lower rated players to have less separation though if you scale it since its only an issue with players rated over 99. its just maybe people would be more accepting of the numbers on overall if all the top guys were not rated 99.
If I'm understanding everything correctly the reason that 120 and 110 overalls aren't displayed even though they exist is because you can look at the ratings of each individual attribute to decide whether the 120 overall player or the 110 overall player would be a better fit for what you want. So you don't really need to rely on the overall.

I understand what you're saying. It would make sense to have only the best be a 99 and have everyone else scale downward, but since you don't need any attribute to be a 99 just to be a 99 overall I think that the importance of the overall is really limited. It's nice to get a quick snapshot view of the value of a player at a position, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) tell you everything that you need to know about that player.

Suppose I want to upgrade at second base and would like to get more power in my lineup at the same time while I'm already good with team defense. Defense is probably rated as higher importance in the algorithm that decides Overall when compared to power for a second baseman. So I may end up wanting a secondbaseman with a lower Overall score, but who hits for more power and therefore has a higher Power rating.

I could trade for second baseman with the higher Overall, but he may turn out to not be a good fit for me at all. So since Overall is really essentially unimportant I think that it's acceptable for players to have higher than 99 overalls possible. It's the individual attributes that affect what happens on the field.

....If individual attributes could be above 99, on the other hand, I would view that as a bigger issue. Overalls over 99 mean nothing.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #197
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

But the overall number is there and its a number now so to someone who does not know what is going on behind the scenes, or that its relative by position a 99 means 99. They might see a 99 shortstop as being as good as another 99 shortstop since that is what the game is showing them. We on OS know these things and can understand what the ratings really mean and can interpret for ourselves. Maybe we want a more defensive SS over an offensive one. That's why some have said the numbers do more harm than good. I honestly have no strong feelings about the numbers, I'd actually say I like them being there than not. But I understand the issues people are having with seeing players being 99. Since I use edited rosters and then edit them further myself the overall numbers don't really bother me that much. But for someone who uses only the official ones I can see the issues.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #198
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

On the issue of limiting OVR to 99 for those who actually are computed to be above 99, it wouldn't be that much of an issue if it's just being displayed at 99 (due to the limited screen real estate, for example), but if the franchise game engine is actually seeing the players with 99 OVR as all equally rated, having too many 99 OVR may become an issue.

For the sake of argument, Verlander and Strasburg both are 99 OVR, but really the formula give Verlander to be 120 and Strasburg 101. Then Verlander should be much more valuable thatn Strasburg, when trading or determining player salaries. But if they are maxed out, then the game has no choice to value them equally, which could make some funny things happen if there are too many 99 OVRs.

Some part of the game appears to depend a lot on OVR ratings (player movements). So in general it's better for a rating system to *not* have too many players clustered around the maximum value... the very highest value should be reserved for the really the leading player among the group of players in the game.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #199
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
On the issue of limiting OVR to 99 for those who actually are computed to be above 99, it wouldn't be that much of an issue if it's just being displayed at 99 (due to the limited screen real estate, for example), but if the franchise game engine is actually seeing the players with 99 OVR as all equally rated, having too many 99 OVR may become an issue.

For the sake of argument, Verlander and Strasburg both are 99 OVR, but really the formula give Verlander to be 120 and Strasburg 101. Then Verlander should be much more valuable thatn Strasburg, when trading or determining player salaries. But if they are maxed out, then the game has no choice to value them equally, which could make some funny things happen if there are too many 99 OVRs.

Some part of the game appears to depend a lot on OVR ratings (player movements). So in general it's better for a rating system to *not* have too many players clustered around the maximum value... the very highest value should be reserved for the really the leading player among the group of players in the game.
That is part of what I am curious about. Does the game take its hidden overall rating into account at all? Or is 99 the max it considers? Or does overall never come into play and it only uses the individual ratings?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #200
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
That is part of what I am curious about. Does the game take its hidden overall rating into account at all? Or is 99 the max it considers? Or does overall never come into play and it only uses the individual ratings?
For regular player attributes (like Contact, K/9, etc.), it's ceiled at the max value (what you see in the game is what you get...). Don't know about OVR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »