Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #225
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Just because your AVG is derived from contact doesn't mean many other attributes do not affect avg. so comparing contact to contact shouldn't be wrong
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here... I didn't say average was derived from contact, I said the contact rating in-game is derived from the player's average in real life, those are two separate things. Contact% is more in tune with the vision rating anyway, try giving a player low contact and high vision (and vice versa) and see what happens.

Contact% and batting average have little to no correlation. Miguel Cabrera ranked 32nd in the AL in contact%, yet he was 1st in BA and most likely will have contact ratings in the 90's...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #226
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here... I didn't say average was derived from contact, I said the contact rating in-game is derived from the player's average in real life, those are two separate things. Contact% is more in tune with the vision rating anyway, try giving a player low contact and high vision (and vice versa) and see what happens.

Contact% and batting average have little to no correlation. Miguel Cabrera ranked 32nd in the AL in contact%, yet he was 1st in BA and most likely will have contact ratings in the 90's...
Ya sorry I reversed those in my original post, my bad, my point is that contact is more than a players real avg. And in my algorithm I guess I weight different things, and it plays well. And I thought K% and BB% were more relevant to discipline and vision..Im sure you're right that contact is more based on AVG.

Last edited by MLB Bob; 02-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #227
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Ya sorry I reversed those in my original post, my bad, my point is that contact is more than a players real avg. And in my algorithm I guess I weight different things, and it plays well. And I thought K% and BB% were more relevant to discipline and vision..Im sure you're right that contact is more based on AVG.
Yeah I just saw your edit, I personally use Bahnzo's calc (which is probably outdated now...) and it was a straight plug and chug of the usual stats. Average is the main source, but I believe the variability we see year to year in average (I think its +/- 20 points or so) comes from discipline and vision.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #228
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Ah, guys getting worked up about ratings. It's that time of the year.

I will never understand it. So long as the guy performs like he should, why does it matter what his rating is?
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #229
Rookie

OVR: 1
Can anyone tell me if individual pitches progress and regress this year. Pitchers do get better at certain pitches and sometimes get to old to throw some and are forced to change. I think it would be realalistic
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #230
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Ah, guys getting worked up about ratings. It's that time of the year.

I will never understand it. So long as the guy performs like he should, why does it matter what his rating is?
Because if Joe Blanton's control rating isn't exactly 4 points better than CC Sabathia's control rating then everything is out of wack!

Spoiler
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #231
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Wow awesome way to make your point, that swayed my opinion...thumbs up Im glad you set us all straight.

It might be that in the Algorithm takes into account a lot of things, like Pujols much better K% and typically better power numbers, less games missed, better ISO. other than one great year, Pujols matched or did better than Votto over the last 3 years, and that was 2010...there are legitimate reasons...and hey feel free to rerate your favorite guy to what you want...

Just checking the stats I checked Pujols contact% compared to Votto...since they use contact as a rating and not AVG..Pujols blows Votto away..Guessing 1 basemen are ranked by Power first, other batting stats second with durability, arm and defense being last...Votto maybe becoming the better all round player but the stuff that is being considered more heavily, Pujols pretty much wins it..
Yeah, but at the end of the day something is wrong with the overall stats as the components are not adding up correctly. If we look at the last three years which The Show is said to weigh stats for the last three years, yet over the last three years Votto's WAR has made him a considerably more valuable player than Pujols. Somewhere they are making judgement calls about what makes a valuable first basemen that doesn't jive with the actual weight those components have in the real life game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #232
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
Yeah, but at the end of the day something is wrong with the overall stats as the components are not adding up correctly. If we look at the last three years which The Show is said to weigh stats for the last three years, yet over the last three years Votto's WAR has made him a considerably more valuable player than Pujols. Somewhere they are making judgement calls about what makes a valuable first basemen that doesn't jive with the actual weight those components have in the real life game.
Baseball America has a chart in the front of their prospect book that scea probably used as a bit of a guide. It ranks the tools by importance by position. And WAR is probably not even looked at. Although I use many sabre stats, WAR is not the definitive stat or even A definitive stat. Looking at the 2 players stats its not that hard to figure out what they use its just a question of weights placed on each stat.

I'm almost certain WAR has very little relation to SCEA ratings

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »