Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #233
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

I didn't explicitly ask the question at the CD event so I don't have an answer for this (I should've definitely asked...), but it's entirely possible that Votto was either underrated because of having less playing opportunities in 2012 (the year the most heavily weighted in rating calculation)... Ratings are mostly based off of last 3-year stats (recent year weighted more), but in those cases that take more care, like rookies who don't have enough playing times, missed opportunities due to injuries, SCEA doesn't necessarily follow cut-and-dry formula to come up with ratings.

Also, it's entirely possible that 1B as a power position OVR favors players with more power (i.e., HR here).

There's nothing really wrong with how those are calculated... SCEA just needs to standardize the method and no evaluation method is perfect... in some metrics certain players are overrated, while they become underrated by others... it's just the nature of difficulty in doing player evaluation itself. (that's another reason why true player attributes in game should not be exposed, to simulate how difficult it is to know a person exactly... but I digress, I just want this game to be very realistic too much, hahaha)
Old 02-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #234
Rookie

hysteria499's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

in my opinion i would of only made Cabrera a 99 and maybe a couple others. some of the guys you had up there havnt played a full season to be 99's though have the potential
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #235
Rookie

brewersfan84's Arena

OVR: 6

For everyone complaining about the ratings, SHUT UP ALREADY!! Thank you Ramone, for sharing this with us, it's too bad people can't handle information in the same way you gave it out, with respect and decency!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #236
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewersfan84
For everyone complaining about the ratings, SHUT UP ALREADY!! Thank you Ramone, for sharing this with us, it's too bad people can't handle information in the same way you gave it out, with respect and decency!
I can tell you right now this is not how to get it done.

Telling people to shut up doesn't provide the effect you might be desiring.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #237
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA

There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90
so how about those images???
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #238
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

This whole conversation is why I've always been for hiding the numbers.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #239
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1

I never understood the issue with ratings in a game that lets you fully edit any players individual ratings. Simple, if you do not agree, just edit them. The only time it would really be an issue is online but they arent that off to be making a big deal about.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #240
Banned

royals852's Arena

OVR: 9

Really hope Hosmer is rated to low. If he is i hope his potential is an A. Same for Alex Gordon. He was only a B last year i think and after two straight gold gloves and good hitting years he finally looks like the player he was projected to be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »