Home

MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #153
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team

As an M's fan...

Ratings seem to be too high. Ackley is an 84 and Montero is an 85. Both are young and will hopefully turn into very good hitters, but that seems high when you look at the seasons they posted a year ago. Especially considering Seager was given a 73, which seems a bit low when looking at the other ratings.

I am sure there is an explanation because I don't think ratings are strictly black and white here, much like Madden...

Either way, we have the capability to edit ratings if we don't like them...

Very cool to see all of them. Can't wait until March 5!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #154
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
His WHIP was 54th according to ESPN, good theory on top 10 though. Weaver also had to pitch against the best or damn close to it lineup everytime he pitched in Anaheim. (or Texas whichever) Any more stats you want to makeup and/or cherry pick?
Ok so the other 5-6 stats were top 10, whoops. Get over yourself. How about he was 4th in WAR in the AL (above Weaver and Cain) pitching in one of the best hitting Parks and having a month of fewer starts? He was also ahead of Cain and Weaver for xFIP (which is a better indicator of how well he actually pitched compared to ERA and a better indication of well they'll do in the future), 10th in HR/9, 6th in Opp BA, and 2nd in K/9. So meaning his HR/9, K/9, and H/9 are all top 10 in MLB and will be on the game. Plus you factor in his velocity and movement of 6 different pitches and is it really hard to understand why he is rated higher?

But according to your logic, since he is 52nd in ERA, he should be the 52nd best pitcher in the game, regardless of where he pitches, how he pitches, how good his defense was, etc. Pitchers like Jason Vargas, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, etc. all should be rated higher than him since they have better ERA's right?

And I am not saying Cain or Weaver aren't great pitchers. They are and one of the best in the game. Weaver was one of my favorite pitchers to use in MLB 12 also. I am just giving facts and the reason why his rating is probably higher. They don't look at baseball card stats and give overalls to individuals based on that. They look at the entire picture and the sum of their attributes and whatever their final rating is..is based on a cumulative algorithm and not some subjective fan's perspective.

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 02-27-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #155
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Ok so the other 5-6 stats were top 10, whoops. Get over yourself. How about he was 4th in WAR in the AL (above Weaver and Cain) pitching in one of the best hitting Parks and having a month of fewer starts? He was also ahead of Cain and Weaver for xFIP (which is a better indicator of how well he actually pitched compared to ERA and a better indication of well they'll do in the future), 10th in HR/9, 6th in Opp BA, and 2nd in K/9. So meaning his HR/9, K/9, and H/9 are all top 10 in MLB and will be on the game. Plus you factor in his velocity and movement of 6 different pitches and is it really hard to understand why he is rated higher?

But according to your logic, since he is 52nd in ERA, he should be the 52nd best pitcher in the game, regardless of where he pitches, how he pitches, how good his defense was, etc. Pitchers like Jason Vargas, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, etc. all should be rated higher than him since they have better ERA's right?

And I am not saying Cain or Weaver aren't great pitchers. They are and one of the best in the game. Weaver was one of my favorite pitchers to use in MLB 12 also. I am just giving facts and the reason why his rating is probably higher. They don't look at baseball card stats and give overalls to individuals based on that. They look at the entire picture and the sum of their attributes and whatever their final rating is..is based on a cumulative algorithm and not some subjective fan's perspective.
The algorithm is subjective and was the basis of my entire original point. I never said, nor do I believe, that Sony should look at one player and individually change their ratings. I said there is enough blatant evidence in my opinion, that the algorithm, designed by a human being subjectively, needs substantial improvement. There is a whole other argument to be had about how subjective advanced stats really are, and how little the people who preach them actually understand that, but this is not the place for that argument.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #156
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

The overall isn't really subjective when they take into consideration of all of their attributes. Regardless of the algorithm, Darvish was top 10 in just about every major pitching category and has some of the nastiest stuff in the game, so just about anyway you cut it he is going to be one of the best pitchers on the game.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #157
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I know I'll be called a "fanboy" for this...but whatever....

I actually think that in the case of numbers...SCEA has come up with a BETTER algorithm than every other game(with the exception of perhaps OOTP....but because they decided to really expand their process(OOTP)...they have a natural leg up due to just the expanse of it and the many options they provide for it).
While I don't like the numbers per se....the way they are using them to provide the OVR is much better than other games I play(which is just about every sports title)(IMO)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #158
Rookie

3fiddy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I thought that would be the case. Why should Harper have a higher power rating against righties when Trout has higher SLG and OPS against righties for 2012???
I thought it was low for Harper at first. But it acceptable I think harper will hit longer homeruns than trout vs righties. For trouts case tho he has much better contact than Harper, so although Harper swings harder trout gets more wood on the ball it's gonna go further unless Harper centers it.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #159
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fiddy
I thought it was low for Harper at first. But it acceptable I think harper will hit longer homeruns than trout vs righties. For trouts case tho he has much better contact than Harper, so although Harper swings harder trout gets more wood on the ball it's gonna go further unless Harper centers it.
So you justify the difference based on what you think will happen. Maybe they think like you and that explains the difference?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #160
Rookie

3fiddy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
So you justify the difference based on what you think will happen. Maybe they think like you and that explains the difference?
I THINK its too early to tell for these guys. When it's said and done this year i THINK Harpers homers will travel further vs rhp than trouts. Idk trouts swing well but they can't be letting him swing like harper in the lead off spot. I guess I just looking for the feel of the game not just relying on slugging percentage alone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »