Home

PES 2014 Details Have Arrived, New Physics Engine, Photo-Realistic Graphics & More

This is a discussion on PES 2014 Details Have Arrived, New Physics Engine, Photo-Realistic Graphics & More within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
PES 2014 Details Have Arrived, New Physics Engine, Photo-Realistic Graphics & More

The new EDGE Magazine has arrived early for a few subscribers and many sites have posted the first details on PES 2014. Thanks for the heads up fearwhatnow!
  • Engine based on FOX Engine
  • Engine referred to as “new engine”
  • New physics engine uses “Barycentre physics”
  • Barycentre physics: different body parts have different weights
  • Collisions are similar to FIFA
  • Impact strength of collisions depend on which part of the body is hit
  • Team is focusing on “photo-realism” for graphics
  • One closeup of a Japanese player’s face in EDGE shows detailed skin pores and individual eyebrows
  • Shirts are separate from the player models
  • Shirts hang from the players and flow and get pulled when jostling
  • Ball control radius in 3x bigger than current gen, providing more dynamic off-ball tussles while player’s legs try to get control of the ball
  • Can set a player’s “zones”
  • This allows you to have an individual player only be allowed to move in a small area of the pitch while defending
Barycentre Physics and Ball Control

The new engine allows for a larger separation between player and ball - three time the radius of PES 2013, where tight 'confrontation' zones are used to make tackling easier. A striker will be able to throw his body weight in one direction and use his opposing foot to push the ball in the other way, leaving defenders off balance and buying space for a pass or shot.
You'll be able to control your player's weight shifts at all times and use practice touches to push the ball away from your feet. We see a wireframe demo with more natural animations and fluid transitions than FIFA 13. You control the player and the physics drives the animation, not vice versa. It's hard to tell how this will transform the 'feel' of play, rather than just being admirable behind the scenes calculations, but there appears to be scope for a radical new control scheme - think of how Skate's right-stick motions mimicked real-life movements by exploiting dynamic physics, and how they compared to the digital button taps of Tony Hawks Pro Skater. This could be a revelation in football game control.

Contact and Physicality

Konami has pinpointed this as a weakness in previous games, but now players can jostle for space - even without the ball present - for headers at corners, or to dominate a smaller opponent.
You'll be able to tug shirts (cloth is now separate from the player's body and stretches) as well as elbow for room on the touchline. It works in tandem with the physics and precision control. Agile players can unbalance defenders with dropped shoulders or ball skills, and push the ball further ahead to exploit their acceleration. "Previously, body feints were more aesthetic," admits Masuda. "Now they're a key tactic."

Squad Emulator

Formations remain essential for success, but now you can set 'zones of play' so your key players focus on certain tactics in mission-critical areas. For example, you can set your front line to focus on possession and probing for gaps in from of a deep-lying defence. In theory, you'll be able to recognise your favourite teams pattern of play within a few minutes. The emphasis on defending and shape should allow weaker teams to create effective strategies, such as when Celtic beat Barcelona in the Champions League by defending deep, buoyed up by the home crowd.

Thanks to Pro Evolution Soccer's new Fox Engine, snow will return to the weather selection.

PES 2014 Licenses
Primera División, Ligue 1 and Eredisivie should remain fully licensed, while all Serie A teams should be individually licensed. While most English teams will remain with fake team names and shirts (as long as the league maintains an exclusive deal with EA Sports) another team might be added to join Manchester United as full licensed. This may not be one of the teams that have an individual partnership with EA (Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Newcastle, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur). German Bundesliga will remain absent apart up to two licensed teams. One of them should be Bayern while the other one is most likely the 2nd best team apart Dortmund who have exclusive EA deal, too.

Seeing Konami's huge sales success in Latin America it is extremly likely there will be another full league of the region. First option, logically, is Argentinian Primera División. The league was actually rumored to be in PES 2013 with Konami reportedly failing to get all teams' licenses in time.

Spanish Liga Adelante (2nd division) could well be added fully licensed, if rumors are to be believed.

There were also reports about a number of Brazilian stadiums to be in the game, including new Arena do Grêmio. Konami also declared its desire to add another league with fully licensed stadiums besides La Liga, with French Ligue 1 and Dutch Eredivisie the main options.

PES 2014 Modes
League & Offline Community modes are likely to return after all the negative responds Konami received after removing the two modes in PES 2013.

'Boot boosting' as seen in Pro Evolution Soccer 2013's Football Life modes is set to be removed altogether.

PES 2014 Editing
Edit mode will receive an almost complete overhaul if rumors from last year are believed to be true. The updates include the option of unlimited slots for graphics such as emblems or kit logos as well as for Edit mode stadium slots. PES 2014 should also see the addition of Third kits for various teams.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Rookie

Tobi's Arena

OVR: 6
Edge magazine has details on the new engine tomorrow.

I hope Konami return to form, I miss the game a lot and don't like FIFA in its current state.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
I am not buying ANYTHING Pes has to say about graphics until I see the game itself.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19
I was very happy to see this:

Squad Emulator

Formations remain essential for success, but now you can set 'zones of play' so your key players focus on certain tactics in mission-critical areas. For example, you can set your front line to focus on possession and probing for gaps in from of a deep-lying defence. In theory, you'll be able to recognise your favourite teams pattern of play within a few minutes. The emphasis on defending and shape should allow weaker teams to create effective strategies, such as when Celtic beat Barcelona in the Champions League by defending deep, buoyed up by the home crowd.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2014 Details Have Arrived, New Physics Engine, Photo-Realistic Graphics & Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Edge magazine has details on the new engine tomorrow.

I hope Konami return to form, I miss the game a lot and don't like FIFA in its current state.
I hear you, I didn't get to enjoy any console football gaming this year. The "boot boosting" really turned me off, glad to hear they are removing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
I was very happy to see this:

Squad Emulator

This is also very important to me as well! Glad to see they are pushing the limit with this. Also good to hear that edit mode is finally getting a complete overall, this is good for the console gamers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15
Are these details for PS4 only, as it seems, or PS3 will get the new engine too?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

dubcity's Arena

Re: PES 2014 Details Have Arrived, New Physics Engine, Photo-Realistic Graphics & Mor

Oh man, I can't wait for this. PES is reaching for that crown again. PES 2013 was the start of this. The "contact and physicality" improvements will be huge this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Rookie

Man, I'm so excited for this! If they manage to pull it off well I will run out and buy a PS4 the day this game is released! (I guess I'll just have to make due without textbooks for a term. lol)

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »