Home

MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

When Major League Baseball 2K13 was announced in January, the usual questions popped up about the game's ability to produce an experience that would be worth a $60 purchase to gamers.

Thus far, fan response has been rather chilly to the new game, as have gaming critics' reviews. In the build up leading to the release of the game, we were not given many details about what was coming, just a vague fact sheet leading up to release which contained features that were already in the franchise. Worse yet, Online Leagues were removed from the game with no announcement from 2K Sports.

Currently, MLB 2K13 is scoring an average of 48 on Metacritic, with our review similarly harsh on the game.

My Press Row Podcast Co-Host Mike Suzek had this to say in his review on Joystiq in summation of the game: "It's as much a shame on 2K Sports for releasing this game as it is for the MLB to carelessly stamp its name on it. Whether it was sheer apathy or contractual licensing obligations that caused MLB 2K13 to exist in this state, it certainly wasn't a love for baseball, sports games, or its fans."

Our own Dustin Toms concluded, "MLB 2K13 is not a bad game by any means, but rather this is more about the principle of the matter. When a company charges $60 for a game with little improvements over a release a year earlier, something has gone terribly wrong. Attaching a $60 price tag to this game is nonsense."

This, of course, leaves important questions to be answered as we move through this year's sports gaming release season. Will 2K Sports be releasing a game next year or will we find out that another company such as EA Sports has plans to develop baseball games to take MLB 2K's place?
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

It's very understandable... I purchased it. I see some nice things, but also much of the old. I feel like I wasted $60 bucks, as it was nothing more than a patched version of 12. Simply not worth the money. It has some good to it, but in the end I'm liking what we've done with 2K12 (360) to edit the players for smoother gameplay. As someone who has invested a LOT of time into roster & slider creating for 2K games since 2K10, I can honestly say I enjoy 2K12 more than all of them. 13 had potential, but I don't really care about small tweaks and slightly better coloring. If you like 12, just stay with it (or any prior version). 2K should have just walked away after last year...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

2k13 is nothing more than a slightly upgraded 2k12. The same issues in 2k12 as far as outfielding glitches and other fielding glitches that was in 2k12, is the same as 2k13. So I really don't know what 2k did in there development cycle. They did fix a lot of the colors in the uniforms and upgraded some portraits of players and upgraded commentary. Other than that, I really don't know. So if u enjoyed 2k12, you'll enjoy 2k13. Just don't expect much, at least till the patch come, if they do release one. r
Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
these game companies wonder why people get so pissed year to year and why their products don't sell better... people don't like paying $60 for roster updates. Too many games these days don't play well out of the box and require patches, too many games remove features people love, fail to evolve features and give minimal updates and expect people to be excited about shelling out $60 for mediocre games. MLB 2k, NCAA Football, NBA Live. Make real improvements and put out a quality game like NBA 2k & MLB the Show do and people will be more than happy to shell out the $60 because the games will be worth it.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9

Random thought and I'd like honest opinions from higher ups on here. 2k12 got a 7... Shouldn't a game with the SAME features and better tweaked get a better review? Take the online leagues out and make it a 6.5. I'm not sure how a 4 came out of the same game.

If what the company does is apart of the review then EA should never have a game over 6... Coming from a guy who has put hundreds of hours into NCAA and Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Rookie

SteelersFan09's Arena

OVR: 2
Be smart 360 baseball fans. No need to buy 2K13. Just go out and buy 2K12(which cost less than $20) and get the updated roster on 2K Share. The game is fun(not perfect) and it doesn't cost over $60.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
these game companies wonder why people get so pissed year to year and why their products don't sell better... people don't like paying $60 for roster updates. Too many games these days don't play well out of the box and require patches, too many games remove features people love, fail to evolve features and give minimal updates and expect people to be excited about shelling out $60 for mediocre games. MLB 2k, NCAA Football, NBA Live. Make real improvements and put out a quality game like NBA 2k & MLB the Show do and people will be more than happy to shell out the $60 because the games will be worth it.
Awesome you nailed it dude!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm still holding out hope that 2K makes a baseball game next year.
I know it's highly unlikely, but I really like their brand of baseball over any other that I've played in the past decade.

If 2K makes a next-gen ball game, I'll more than likely buy a next-gen console.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »