Home

MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 2
I might pick it up after it's patched a couple times and it's down to $20....maybe.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
A review is based upon the value a game brings. If a game offers essentially the same experience as the year prior but at a significantly higher price, you can't give that game a solid recommendation. Games on here and elsewhere, are reviewed based upon what they do that's both new and good. Take into account MLB 2K13 doesn't offer online leagues, which is now a staple of our genre, is a 'patched' version of the last edition, and still has the same bugs as the series' prior games -- it's hard to find a reason to give a game a high score just on those factors alone. Just some thoughts, I didn't personally review the game but I do have final say in everything we put out -- but after playing 2K13 I had no problem with our score which indicates a below average experience on our scale (remember we don't grade games based on their letter grades, so a 4 is more akin to a D type of score in most outlets).
Chris I said this in the actual OS Review thread & I'll say again, with everything we knew about 2k13 & I mean everything we knew about it, 2k13 should have gotten an incomplete grade with an explanation why.

We all know this game was never slated to see the light of day, yet we are killing the game because 2k was basically forced to put this game out by the MLB because MLB didn't want the XBOX to be without an updated game.

Yes it's inexcusable to remove Online Leagues & 2k should be banged for it, but is it fair to kill this game for being what it is knowing the circumstances of how this game was made

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

Thanks for the reply Chris. I feel like this may be the one year a number can't justify via review of a game. Why I say that is this...

You have the same game with updated rosters, colors, and fixes. So the game, despite the legacy issues is actually better? Yes a mode was removed that shouldn't have been. Never played 12 to give this more thought. Yet I agree fully on the practice of it and understand the review. I also understand the articles against it, but it would almost seem justifiable to make the review incomplete/do not buy, and then do articles like this justifying how no score can be provided? Simply I'm not sure a situation has been like this in gaming. I'm guessing this is why IGN didn't review it.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
Thanks for the reply Chris. I feel like this may be the one year a number can't justify via review of a game. Why I say that is this...

You have the same game with updated rosters, colors, and fixes. So the game, despite the legacy issues is actually better? Yes a mode was removed that shouldn't have been. Never played 12 to give this more thought. Yet I agree fully on the practice of it and understand the review. I also understand the articles against it, but it would almost seem justifiable to make the review incomplete/do not buy, and then do articles like this justifying how no score can be provided? Simply I'm not sure a situation has been like this in gaming. I'm guessing this is why IGN didn't review it.
By not reviewing the game or by making an exception, you give a company which chose the easy way out a pass. As a sports gaming site, we're here to hold companies' feet to the fire on issues such as this as much as possible, be it EA, Take Two, Activision, etc. When a company releases nothing more than a patched version of the previous years game and charges full price -- there's no reason you can give that game a good score. We don't make special exceptions because sooner or later, there will be more and more because that's just how things work. Instead we prefer to keep things on an even playing field and give each game the same chance to prove it's worth the price tag it's shipping at. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by RaychelSnr; 03-14-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
Rookie

SteelersFan09's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
No, 2k12 is still $39.99. I was just at best buy yesterday so I know this for a fact.
Yes it is $40 dollars at Best Buy but who would buy it there? Go to Gamestop and buy it used for $17.99. Or go on Ebay or Amazon and also buy it for under $20. Actually Amazon has it right no for about $15 dollars.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
Rookie

jhendricks316's Arena

OVR: 32
I am still enjoying 2K12.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
No analogy will please everyone but here goes anyway...if a student turns a paper in to me in September and gets a C+, then turns around in May and gives me the same paper with nothing changed but the date and the title, they will receive an F. You CAN'T seriously want better games AND be willing to give 2K a review that scores the game at or near the previous year's effort. it just "ridiculousness." 2k knew the situation from the jump, their lawyers can read just like the MLB's lawyers can read. They knew all along what they had contractually agreed to produce in terms of no games...it was no surprise to them that they had to put out a 2K13, so any talk about their "short development cycle" is just babble-blah. It's like the kid who says "I only had a week to do this paper!" Then the parent asks, "When did you first find out about the assignment?" Then the kid says, "A month ago." Yeah...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
No analogy will please everyone but here goes anyway...if a student turns a paper in to me in September and gets a C+, then turns around in May and gives me the same paper with nothing changed but the date and the title, they will receive an F. You CAN'T seriously want better games AND be willing to give 2K a review that scores the game at or near the previous year's effort. it just "ridiculousness." 2k knew the situation from the jump, their lawyers can read just like the MLB's lawyers can read. They knew all along what they had contractually agreed to produce in terms of no games...it was no surprise to them that they had to put out a 2K13, so any talk about their "short development cycle" is just babble-blah. It's like the kid who says "I only had a week to do this paper!" Then the parent asks, "When did you first find out about the assignment?" Then the kid says, "A month ago." Yeah...
Your wrong... They had no obligation to put out a game as their license agreement with MLB ended after they produced 2K12 and were not gonna release MLB 2K13.

Buy yeah let's just keep pilling on 2K because you know "It's the thing to do"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »