Home

EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns

This is a discussion on EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns

We're learning this afternoon that Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello is stepping down from his position at Electronic Arts effective March 30. Publisher of Madden NFL Football, FIFA Soccer, NHL and several other sports titles, Electronic Arts is one of the biggest sports gaming companies on the planet and this could have definite impacts on our genre's future.

The company is tapping former CEO and current Chairman of the Board Larry Probst to oversee the transition to a new permanent CEO.

"We thank John for his contributions to EA since he was appointed CEO in 2007, especially the passion, dedication and energy he brought to the company every single day," Probst said in a press release issued this afternoon. "John has worked hard to lead the company through challenging transitions in our industry, and was instrumental in driving our very significant growth in digital revenues. We appreciate John's leadership and the many important strategic initiatives he has driven for the company. We have mutually agreed that this is the right time for a leadership transition."

The reasoning for the resignation appears to be that EA is expecting to fall well short of revenue guidelines.

In a letter to Probst, Riccitiello said, "This is a tough decision, but it all comes down to accountability. The progress EA has made on transitioning to digital games and services is something I'm extremely proud of. However, it currently looks like we will come in at the low end of, or slightly below, the financial guidance we issued in January, and we have fallen short of the internal operating plan we set one year ago. EA's shareholders and employees expect better and I am accountable for the miss."

This transition in leadership comes at a time when EA is gearing up to take on a new generation of consoles amidst an expanding digital goods business, of which Riccitiello was a key driver and proponent of. EA's stock is up over 2.5% in after hours trading on the news.

Until we know of a replacement, we won't have an adequate idea as to what this means for EA's sports game lineup, if anything. We will update this story with additional details as they come available.

What do you think this means for EA Sports' future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Ion6 Studios

OVR: 5
Meybe they'll drop the NFL license?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns

With regard to the topic question, it could mean the official end of the maligned NBA LIVE / NBA Elite. Beyond that I'm not sure how much of an impact this does have on EA Sports, however, which by all accounts is reasonably successful.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
From being named one of the 50 most influential people in sports by SI one week, resign from that job the next...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns

Have to wonder if this is Sim City related.

And I don't see anything really changing with sports.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the new CEO might want to flex his muscles by getting a deal done with the NFL.

Last edited by PVarck31; 03-18-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Beat the Heat!

chi_hawks's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro78
Meybe they'll drop the NFL license?
Please let this mean the NFL exclusive license goes bye-bye.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Ion6 Studios

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
Please let this mean the NFL exclusive license goes bye-bye.
Nobody knows....let's just hope it won't be renewed....
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 30
Regardless, there were SOME hits with EA and EA Sports with this man at the helm but I am glad he is stepping aside and taking some accountability. Hopefully this will mean an even better EA going forward with next gen.

Sidebar - EA Sports has been damned quiet about Madden 25, not counting that now annual cover athlete BS, other than 2 minor stories about refs and that crap earlier today. I doubt if Madden 25 is coming to the PS4 and that's what I'm itching to know the most BUT what's also up with Live 14 for EITHER gen??? THAT'S a game EA really can't be quiet about at this point in time unless they are REALLY going hard trying to get the game together for this gen and possibly next gen. I have a sneaking suspicion they are bypassing this year or, at least, the rest of this gen with Live. This could be apart of why dude is graciously "bowing out".

I wonder what that golden parachute is looking like. Heh....

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »