Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 - Developer Blog: Career Mode

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 - Developer Blog: Career Mode within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Gameplay Designer, Justin Patel has posted a new developer blog on Career Mode. If you create a female golfer, you can choose which tour you would like to play in. The LPGA Tour has 22 events, while the PGA Tour has 31 events. New details on Q School and much more are included in the blog.

Quote:
We've added new features to Career Mode this year to make the mode better than ever. For the first time in the history of the franchise, the LPGA Tour is available. Golfers can test their skills against the LPGA’s best players, like Stacy Lewis, Paula Creamer, Suzann Pettersen, Natalie Gulbis, and Lexi Thompson. Male golfers will find a whole new path to the PGA TOUR, with the new qualification changes to Q School and the Web.com Tour fully integrated into this year’s game. The inclusion of the LPGA Tour, along with an updated career path, only scratches the surface of the mode.

Read more here.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Designer

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
Hey hands, I just read your blog. Looks fun and can't wait to play. I do have a question though.

With the addition of the money list and the new format with q school, is the career fully dynamic? Meaning do you actually have to earn your way into q school by your amatuer performance, and to move from web.com to PGA? Or will you automatically get moved up to each stage after playing so many tournaments in the previous stage? Also once your on the PGA tour, do you have to earn your card for future years? Can you get sent back to the web.com tour if you are not hacking it on the PGA tour? Or once your in the PGA tour you are there no matter how you perform?
We wanted to make it fully dynamic where you could be kicked back to the Nationwide Playoffs to re-earn your tour card but we didn't have the time to get that far with it. We tried to get an early start on all these progression changes but we had to wait for the new system to get finalized with the official rules and structure. That took longer than we hoped and we ran out of time to get the backwards progression into the game. So once you advance, you won't go back.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Pro

Taku's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 - Developer Blog: Career Mode

Looks really good, can't wait...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
You addressed the point oif not having to re-earn your PGA tour card but you weren't specific about whether we have to earn our way into the Web.com tour and then the PGA tour when you start your career rather than just being kicked up into the PGA tour simply because you played all the events regardless of how well you did.

Will there be a a notification alert like they had a couple of years ago which would post what the top of the leaderboard would be doing as you play?
I didn't own the progression changes, so I am not 100% on this. But I believe web.com Tour advancement works like this...
- You can win 3 events and earn the battlefield promotion, which is an instant PGA TOUR card.
- You can win the money list before the playoffs and earn a PGA TOUR card.
- If you finish 2nd-50th/75th (not sure which, but its one of them) you earn a spot in the web.com playoffs. If you finish top X (not sure what number that is either) in the playoffs you earn a PGA TOUR card.
- If you miss the playoffs or finish out of top X in playoffs you have to replay web.com tour.
- But once you do advance to PGA TOUR, you will never get demoted.

We don't have the specific notification like you saw in Tiger 11. However, the new broadcast presentation banners will keep you updated on scores/stats/etc. throughout your round and should provide you with a lot of cool info that hasn't been in the game before.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #5

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Can I still sue a belly putter but just not anchor it to my belly?
Still, this question is worth a comment.

We wanted to make belly putters usable on created golfers. But we weren't sure if they were going to bet banned or not. So we didn't want to do work that maybe needed to be cut. We only did the work for Keegan and we had our finger on the trigger to abort it up til the last second. Turned out we didn't need to remove it, so you will see Keegan with the belly putter. But only him and nobody else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

Quote:
I also would like in the 2/3/4 day tournaments what you've done on previous days on each hole.
I think this is one of the banners in the game. I know for sure it was in the design. I know that a some of the banners got cut cause we ran out of time. Not sure if it was one of them. I didn't own any of the banner stuff so I don't know for sure.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

Quote:
Nice, still sounds like a lot of fun. Is there an amatuer season like there is in 13? Also I read in your blog if you win the US Am, you get invited to play in the us open. Is this correct? Is there no option to play in the masters as an amatuer anymore?
You choose your amateur path, but you can only choose 1
- US - Win and get a spot in the U.S. Open
- British - Win and get a spot in The Open Championship
- Asian (Masters Historic Edition only) - Win and get a spot in the Masters

However, you only play the final round of the applicable major, and you have no shot at winning. You are actually in position to try and win Low Amateur at the event. We found that having you play a Major right away and likely win it (in the case of most users) took away from the experience of grinding your way to it in career. And we figured that winning the Low Amateur was a more realistic career milestone.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #8

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

Quote:
That's cool. So did I read correct that the only amatuer tournament you play this year is the us/British/ or Asian am. There is no season of amatuer tournaments you play through. Just start at whatever national am tournament? I hope that question made sense
Correct, 1 event.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »