Home

After 20 Years NHL 94 Remains One of the Best Sports Videogames of All-Time

This is a discussion on After 20 Years NHL 94 Remains One of the Best Sports Videogames of All-Time within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
NHL 94 on the SNES was far superior and I played them all on Genesis. SNES didn't have the weight bug, which made the grinders and tough guys of the league pointless.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: After 20 Years NHL 94 Remains One of the Best Sports Videogames of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends

It would be cool if they would offer it as a download.
It isn't featured in 13? I'm pretty sure it was in like 12 or 11, so I only assumed they kept it in.

But there is always this...

http://coolrom.com/roms/genesis/6203/NHL_Hockey_'94.php

http://coolrom.com/emulators/genesis/
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
One of the best games ever. NHL95 on PC... I played so much broke 2 controllers and the disc broke. Had some great tournaments with friends.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5
I hate hockey, but I enjoyed the hell out of NHL 94... fantastic game.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
i dunno if this is the 94 game or not can anyone tell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vHbOilhpc
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
NHL 94 on the SNES was far superior and I played them all on Genesis. SNES didn't have the weight bug, which made the grinders and tough guys of the league pointless.
I had both version as well and I agree. I enjoyed the SNES version way better.
There were other subtle changes as well like proper jersey's and a more realistic color palette. And I believe they had better scoring celebrations (could be wrong on that one though).

I still consider NHL94 to be one of the best sports games I've ever played and probably played that game more than any other hockey game as well.

I miss those days. I think our expectations as gamers has really hurt the pure joy that can be had with sports games these days.
And developers don't seem to have as much time to really put out a bug-free, completed game.
Every game has patches now.

Anyway, I guess my fond memory wasn't specific to one play or game, but my brother and I used to have some epic 7-game series against one another.
We'd even record stats and had sarcastic, hilarious game quotes (yes, we were that nerdy).
If I had to mention one specific memory that's burned into my head it was game 7 in OT with my Wings against my brother's Hawks.
Steve Thomas skates the puck down the ice where my defender goes to check him.
He fires the puck on net, skates around my defender and then plows into my goalie, who's still trying to handle the shot, and all three go into the net, sealing the win for my bro.
To say I was incensed is an understatement. He still brings it up 25 years later, haha.

My top hockey games of all time:
1. NHL2K3 (easily the greatest hockey game of all time. AI was absolutely superb).
2. NHL94
3. NHL07
4. NHL2004
5. Fox Champ Hockey 2000.

Honorable mentions: Mario Lemieux hockey (underrated game. Had full stats including 2nd assists), NES Ice Hockey and NHL2K10.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
MVP

oldman's Arena

OVR: 17
I am not a hockey fan, but as an 11 year old I somehow ended up with this game on Sega and I still remember it as being one of the greatest games I ever played!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I had both version as well and I agree. I enjoyed the SNES version way better.
There were other subtle changes as well like proper jersey's and a more realistic color palette. And I believe they had better scoring celebrations (could be wrong on that one though).

I still consider NHL94 to be one of the best sports games I've ever played and probably played that game more than any other hockey game as well.

I miss those days. I think our expectations as gamers has really hurt the pure joy that can be had with sports games these days.
And developers don't seem to have as much time to really put out a bug-free, completed game.
Every game has patches now.

Anyway, I guess my fond memory wasn't specific to one play or game, but my brother and I used to have some epic 7-game series against one another.
We'd even record stats and had sarcastic, hilarious game quotes (yes, we were that nerdy).
If I had to mention one specific memory that's burned into my head it was game 7 in OT with my Wings against my brother's Hawks.
Steve Thomas skates the puck down the ice where my defender goes to check him.
He fires the puck on net, skates around my defender and then plows into my goalie, who's still trying to handle the shot, and all three go into the net, sealing the win for my bro.
To say I was incensed is an understatement. He still brings it up 25 years later, haha.

My top hockey games of all time:
1. NHL2K3 (easily the greatest hockey game of all time. AI was absolutely superb).
2. NHL94
3. NHL07
4. NHL2004
5. Fox Champ Hockey 2000.

Honorable mentions: Mario Lemieux hockey (underrated game. Had full stats including 2nd assists), NES Ice Hockey and NHL2K10.
I get what you are saying about expectations, but at the same time a lot of us that grew up playing NES, SNES and Genesis were kids or teenagers. Videogames were still a new thing to us so we were just happy to have something that resembled the sporting events we watched on TV.

It's only natural that as the games evolved, our expectations for what to expect from said games would evolve as well. I do think that sometimes our expectations are unrealistic and that we can forget that we're supposed to play these games for fun.

NHL 94 definitely ranks as a top-10 all-time sports game for me. I played it for several years; tons of head-to-head matchups against friends (like you and Rudy, I also had league where we kept track of records, stats, etc. in a notebook) and of course, the CPU.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »