Home

NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Procedural awareness ? Oh God I hope that means the scrambling QB and returners on special teams don't run directly into defenders anymore and actually try to AVOID being tackled. Last year in the beginning that had scrambling QBs done right, then they broke it with their patches to the point every time the QB tried to scramble he went directly into the defensive tackle.

But anyway, nothing pissed me off more then to punt the ball, they would have all this space to the left and to right of them and they would just run up the middle into 3 defenders.
I listened again and he seems to say "conceptual awareness", not procedural awareness, so my bad. In some other video they do claim that the CPU will utilize moves though and learn through a new "real AI" tech circa FIFA/NHL, so hopefully that works out.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
My favorite part was the mention of hand fighting and procedural awareness so players are aware of other players when moving through traffic. Hopefully this transitions to the WR/DB interactions too. Least favorite part was the end discussion about that dreaded "balance" of "fun" vs realism, please just let that notion go, realism IS fun in a sim. The straw man of an unexpected fumble in a big game as a reason for capping capable realism should stop. Fumbles and mishaps period are a part of football, so there needs to be variety in a football game, not just oversimplified win/loss.

For example, there can't be just two shotgun snap animations, one that playsout for a high snap over the QB and one for a successful snap. There needs to be several types of snaps ranging from ideal to potentially disastrous. In a basketball video game with passes and lobs for dunks, there are variations of these things in-game so when one of these result in a complete mishap, ie pass flying well over the intended targets head, it seems dynamic and organic, not like a win/loss dice roll.

For all the strides they seem to be making that "fun" balance POV is still holding EA football games back from being as good as the top sports sims, imo.
I can't disagree with anything you've said. I also feel that more realism is fun. I think though the conflict comes into play when execs see the potential to market beyond us/the hardcore. I imagine some suit, fresh from a board meeting or marketing/sales mtg., stops by and says something like, "Ben, how can we expand our demographic and increase sales? The hardcore players are locked in. How can we make it less intimidating for the casual crowd to jump in." Then you get the developers trying to balance arcade "fun" with sim realism.

Last edited by Ziza9Noles94; 04-03-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7

You guys have to realize that he has a point. We demand realism to the T with every sports game we play no matter what it is, but most guys/girls aren't hardcore sim players. Most people are casual buy Madden every year because they want to sling it around type people. We make up a small group of the people that buy this game and/or Madden. We are just the more vocal goup
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
he har

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I also feel that more realism is fun. I think though the conflict comes into play when execs see the potential to market beyond us/the hardcore. I imagine some suit, fresh from a board meeting or marketing/sales mtg., stops by and says something like, "Ben, how can we expand our demographic and increase sales? The hardcore players are locked in. How can we make it less intimidating for the casual crowd to jump in." Then you get the developers trying to balance arcade "fun" with sim realism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
You guys have to realize that he has a point. We demand realism to the T with every sports game we play no matter what it is, but most guys/girls aren't hardcore sim players. Most people are casual buy Madden every year because they want to sling it around type people. We make up a small group of the people that buy this game and/or Madden. We are just the more vocal goup
I understand and respect the business side of it but that shouldn't mean everyone is forced to play within their subjective balance, there should be options/settings, not just sliders. In that video he specifically uses balancing things as reasoning for not having something like fumbled snaps but instead they should be in the game with an option to disable them. I am not suggesting they create a toggle for every little detail, just simply one toggle option for "variance" or "human error", that can be turned off or on.

That's the kind of approach I think they need to take, including, an all encompassing simulation setting where the balance for realism vs fun is removed and the game is preset to play as realistic as possible.

Anyway, that's been my battle cry for a long time but it's still good to see the things they have added. I am just concerned about that fun balance watering this stuff done in the final build.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Rookie

SaintBrees's Arena

OVR: 0

One interesting thing I saw in this article, is there is going to be a stamina meter per play and stamina is going to play a bigger role throughout the game. Hold on to that sprint button every play and you wont have any energy in the 4th.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
MVP

CcAaRrSsOoNn3's Arena

OVR: 26

NO MORE SOCK GLITCH!?!?

Thank you Jesus!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I get they want to balance fun versus realism. In light of that, I think botched snaps would be fun and part of the game. On of my best memories in football gaming was watching a snap sail over my quarterbacks head in APF 2k8. I only seen it happen once and didn't even know it could happen. It was shocking to see. It would be okay to add if it rarely happened and there was an option to turn it off. Although poor snaps could making recruiting and who you play at center more interesting.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
MVP

CcAaRrSsOoNn3's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
I get they want to balance fun versus realism. In light of that, I think botched snaps would be fun and part of the game. On of my best memories in football gaming was watching a snap sail over my quarterbacks head in APF 2k8. I only seen it happen once and didn't even know it could happen. It was shocking to see. It would be okay to add if it rarely happened and there was an option to turn it off. Although poor snaps could making recruiting and who you play at center more interesting.
Agreed. Would mean you cannot just plug and play any player at Center.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »