Home

EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

This is a discussion on EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

You read that headline right. As the Ed O'Bannon vs. the NCAA lawsuit continues onwards in the courts, both sides are jockeying for what could be a blockbuster trial by next summer.

In a recently filed study, EA and the College Licensing Company (CLC) claim that less than 25% of all men's basketball and football players were actually represented in EA's college athletic video games with their correct height, weight, home state and position.

EA and the CLC, while arguing against the fact they don't use college athletes is claiming that they do in fact use some college athlete likenesses right down to their correct height, weight, home state and position. This seems highly counterproductive simply because we don't know the exact boundaries for how the study was done. If it required an exact match, then a player being 10-20 pounds too heavy or light would mean they weren't exactly represented, which seems to actually indicate more players than claimed are actually somewhat well represented within the game.

Earlier in the winter, it was revealed that some NCAA e-mails tend to indicate that they knew about the use (but not use) of players likenesses in all but name.

"The issue for me is that the names and likenesses are rigged into the games now by illegal means, meaning that many of the video game players have the features, it's just that our membership doesn't benefit from it," then NCAA Vice President Greg Shaheen wrote.

The e-mails also revealed that the NCAA and EA have looked at trying to find ways to include real player names into the games, with no definitive ways to pull that feat off just yet.

Thanks to the O'Bannon lawsuit, talk about whether to pay college football players is becoming a hot topic. This morning, Oklahoma Head Coach Bob Stoops chimed in, "I don’t get why people say these guys don’t get paid. It’s simple, they are paid quite often, quite a bit and quite handsomely."

The O'Bannon and Sam Keller lawsuit alleges that the NCAA and EA Sports, amongst other entities, have been illegally profiting off of college athletes likenesses with no direct return to the athletes. This is an exceptionally important case which we have been following for several years now, as EA Sports stands to lose $1 billion if an unfavorable ruling for EA is handed down.

It is our position that if Keller and O'Bannon do prevail, college football video games will likely cease to exist due to much higher licensing costs and little return on investment.

Where do you stand on this case as of right now?
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

Just another game circling the drain.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27
This can't end good
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
i guess we better hope NCAA 14 turns out to be the enhanced game we've all been waiting for, could be the last
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Irish 69
i guess we better hope NCAA 14 turns out to be the enhanced game we've all been waiting for, could be the last
agree...i will be getting back on the NCAA horse. this game may end up being the new 2K8 college hoops game in that we may be playing and upgrading it for years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

I'm still confused why we can see a player on TV, on interviews, highlights for TV, Magazines, etc. Yet their name or likeness in a video game is over the lines?

Secondly, these players did not have to play football. They could live their lives normally if they want. They know what they signed up for. Free school, food, room and board, healthcare, some spending money, grants, and a chance at the NFL. If the players win, they might be screwing over future athletes.

Last edited by guitar4468; 04-10-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4468
I'm still confused why we can see a player on TV, on interviews, highlights for TV, Magazines, etc. Yet their name or likeness in a video game is over the lines?
This particular lawsuit is dealing with EA and their videogames, but if it passes the precedent will affect many other areas.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
This Greg Shaheen seems like one greedy douche. Likeness is being added illegally, please, it's not like the game is being hacked to add in names. All I'm reading is "we (NCAA) aren't getting even more money than we already are, and we clearly need more money so I, I mean we, can buy a new yacht."

I still believe this lawsuit isn't so much about the players getting paid but NCAA execs lining their pockets.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »