Home

EA is the 'Worst Company In America'

This is a discussion on EA is the 'Worst Company In America' within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: EA is 'Worlds Worst Company'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbaseball22
There is nothing wrong with an online pass. I am not sure how it all works, but when you buy a game used, the game developer is not getting payed for it, just the store you buy the game from. The online pass is simply a way for people that buy used, to give something back to the developer
If the game is used, then it's already been paid for. Why should a used game purchaser be required to "give something back to the developer" for something that's already been paid for?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
If the game is used, then it's already been paid for. Why should a used game purchaser be required to "give something back to the developer" for something that's already been paid for?
As a business I would be pissed that somebody is making money off of my product several times, but I'm only getting paid once.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2
I think EA definitely deserves the title of "World's Worst Company".

Tell the truth and shame the devil!

It looks like the people have spoken regardless of individual opinions.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
As a business I would be pissed that somebody is making money off of my product several times, but I'm only getting paid once.
Why? Once the product is sold, the one who bought the product owns it, not the company that produced it. If you bought a car and sold it used to your neighbor, should the neighbor have to pay a fee to ford because he bought the car from you?

You buy a used Ford at a GM dealer, after you pay the GM Dealer, are you sending another check to Ford Motor Company?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Why? Once the product is sold, the one who bought the product owns it, not the company that produced it. If you bought a car and sold it used to your neighbor, should the neighbor have to pay a fee to ford because he bought the car from you?

You buy a used Ford at a GM dealer, after you pay the GM Dealer, are you sending another check to Ford Motor Company?
While I'm not 100% positive if this is the case for console video games, for most PC software this absolutely isn't true, the consumer is actually only buying a license to use the software and he does not actually own it.

Use of software implies acceptance of its EULA, and given the terms of the relationship setup therein the producing company absolutely has a leg to stand on to the end of seeking money for the sale of a used video game.

Again, I'm assuming video game EULAs are the same as PC software EULAs here, I'm attempting to dig up more information that end and will update this post if I find something contrary to what I've argued.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Comparing used video game sales to used car sales isn't analogous. Imagine if people were reselling music on this scale.

The fact still remains that EA is losing out on sales. Its only logical to go after those sales that are, seemingly, readily available.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
While I'm not 100% positive if this is the case for console video games, for most PC software this absolutely isn't true, the consumer is actually only buying a license to use the software and he does not actually own it.

Use of software implies acceptance of its EULA, and given the terms of the relationship setup therein the producing company absolutely has a leg to stand on to the end of seeking money for the sale of a used video game.

Again, I'm assuming video game EULAs are the same as PC software EULAs here, I'm attempting to dig up more information that end and will update this post if I find something contrary to what I've argued.

All depends on how the PC Product is sold. Much of the Server based (Major) Business Software is licensed to a specific company. Most home software, you purchase the license and can do what you want with it. Including give the product to someone else.

Microsoft tried to go away from the one time license and wanted to start charging yearly for a perpetual license for there software, but they backed down.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Comparing used video game sales to used car sales isn't analogous. Imagine if people were reselling music on this scale.

The fact still remains that EA is losing out on sales. Its only logical to go after those sales that are, seemingly, readily available.
How can they be losing sales to something they already sold? And reselling music? If I sold a used CD to a friend, I'm not sending money to the record company.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »