Home

What NBA 2K13 Did Right

This is a discussion on What NBA 2K13 Did Right within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What NBA 2K13 Did Right

It can be hard to see the positive when things are working—it’s much easier to see what’s wrong. It’s a distinction that was first put into philosophical terms by Martin Heidegger as the difference between the ready-at-hand and the present-at-hand and, weirdly, it’s really really easy to see in video games. When the mechanics of a game are ready-at-hand, we perform an action with the controller and what we expect to happen happens; when things don’t happen the way we expect or want, we call them “broken” and they are merely present-at-hand. In other words, lying there in front of us and useless.

You can feel free to ignore that whole paragraph, though. Here’s what you need to know: having already dipped into what NBA 2K14 should look to fix, it’s time to turn a kinder eye on the series and look at what it already does well. Some of these things really stand out when you compare 2K13 to older versions of the game, even as recently as 2K10.

Read More - What NBA 2K13 Did Right
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What NBA 2K13 Did Right

I cannot read this article at the moment, but I look forward to it. I imagine game developers have to have some thick skin, for the closer they seem to move toward creating a realistic environment, the more the unrealistic portions of the game seem to stick out like a sore thumb.

I always wonder about 2K in particular. Someone from that company has to get frustrated with their user feedback at some point, right? We beg for classic teams, they deliver. Then we complain about the lack of classic team choices. Then they add more classic teams. Then we complain about the lack of a Dream Team. They add a Dream Team. Then we complain about the inability to edit shoes so it doesn't look like they're all wearing navy and red boxes. It's like they're constantly trying to plug an endless stream of holes, like in that one Kinect game:

While a lot of complaints are valid (I really did have an issue immersing myself with the Dream Team without a real opponent and box shoes), I sometimes worry the good gets overlooked and 2K will assume their small improvements are in vain. We've had so many weird issues ironed out over the years that it's honestly tough for me to think of one off the top of my head.

Here's one: remember when it used to be impossible to shoot a corner three? How a player's feet used to always stand on the line? Or when the bounce pass didn't exist? When tip dunks didn't exist? When there weren't 15 individual custom dunk slots for every single player?

I definitely still have my quarrels with things missing from this game, alongside some questions about the direction they're heading, but I also very much appreciate their progress over the years.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
There is very little 2k13 did wrong. I would like some changes in Association, some new additions as there has been little of that in recent years, would love to see a weekly highlight show like in CH 2k8. Also I want to be able to wear whatever brand of shoes I want to (as I like Converse) in My Career mode.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8
The subtleties the "little things" the small movements and gestures that the could have ignored and still got a great passing grade but they wanted to be better and be called the best. That hands down to me is what's overall impressive. Especially with no competition to still be the best video basketball game ever imo makes me wonder what the future holds. They are def things that should and could be better but the way they top themselves over and over again makes me sure most of my gripes will be fixed.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
There is very little 2k13 did wrong. I would like some changes in Association, some new additions as there has been little of that in recent years, would love to see a weekly highlight show like in CH 2k8. Also I want to be able to wear whatever brand of shoes I want to (as I like Converse) in My Career mode.
I agree. While I haven't played 2K13 as much as 2K11-12, that's more due to a lack of gaming time than my feelings towards the game. NBA 2K and MLB The Show are the two sports franchises I can count on to put out quality games every year.

The commentary and presentation in 2K are standard-bearers for the sports game genre. The CPU AI is better than what you find in most games. The immersion factor is really high. Legend teams was a terrific addition to draw in fans of my generation that may not care for today's NBA. The new R-stick controls were a nice addition, even if it means giving up the Shot Stick (not a fan of the modifier).

I think 2K will continue to grow the game as the PS4/720 systems are rolled out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I just had an opportunity to read the article and I thought it was well done. In fact, I think the great things mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. 2K13 does a ton right (though I remain steadfastly anti-Jay-Z & Friends presentation and soundtrack cornering, which was mentioned as a possible positive in the article).

Here's a question though - do you guys feel 2K13 had as many "little things" additions as with previous 2K's? The Little Things thread here seemed to drop into the cellar pretty quickly and in my own regard, it didn't seem like I was seeing as many of those new inclusions. Maybe I've just grown numb to them, but I do not think so.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I just had an opportunity to read the article and I thought it was well done. In fact, I think the great things mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. 2K13 does a ton right (though I remain steadfastly anti-Jay-Z & Friends presentation and soundtrack cornering, which was mentioned as a possible positive in the article).

Here's a question though - do you guys feel 2K13 had as many "little things" additions as with previous 2K's? The Little Things thread here seemed to drop into the cellar pretty quickly and in my own regard, it didn't seem like I was seeing as many of those new inclusions. Maybe I've just grown numb to them, but I do not think so.
No, but I think that's because it's just small tweaks and refinements from 2K11-12. Same thing with MLB 13 The Show. It doesn't look a lot different from 12 but there are a lot of small changes.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 33

To me, each version of the game has been an improvement, when looking at the overall package ... not that all versions show the same improvement jump from one to another ... in fact, each version has some regressions on some portions of the game ... I can even understand that introducing new features can lead to these regressions but what I cant understand is why do they take away things that worked ... why not expand or evolve based on them.

What 2k13 mostly did good was to sustain the level of sales in a depressing videogame market, to bounce back and successfully insert itself into the current trend of micro transactions and to introduce their game into the consoles downloadable digital world ... it did many other things good tho, or otherwise it wouldnt be an overall improvement.

What 2k14 must do right, specially within the next generation of consoles is to:
- Take full advantage of the new consoles processing and memory ram power
- Take full advantage of the discs space
- Provide a nearly flawless online experience
- Add new features/content and build/refine upon them, not take away anything
- Provide a physics engine or a better alternative than current one
- Build and expand on customization/editability/options
- Provide the same features and level of control and customization for offline/online
- Provide valuable DLC, even if paid DLC, like an official roster/my career/association editor ... not just the fancy microtransactions
- Fix recurring bugs/glitches
- Provide more signature animations, tendencies, ratings, playbooks, team strategies, hot spots ...

And most importantly, it needs to ...
- Provide us with what we need and not only with what we want.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 04-11-2013 at 01:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »