Home

NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Gameplay (TGT)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Gameplay (TGT) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Gameplay (TGT)

Tommy Gschwend, from The Gaming Tailgate, has posted a solid NCAA Football 14 pre-release Q&A on gameplay.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Rookie

carvis#15's Arena

OVR: 0
Will the foot planting play out on the defense as well? It would be terrible for just the ball carrier to plant his feet but then the defense is sliding to position everywhere to make the tackles. Also will more catching animations play out? Last year you guys said there were 430 catch animation. I personally did not see that many of them play out. I'd say about 30 at best and I played the game a lot.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NCAA Football 14 Pre-Release Q&A: Gameplay (TGT)

Guys, if you have any questions to add, feel free to ask them over at TGT. That said, I did want to stop in and clear up some of the misunderstandings that were in the original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Still bad CPU play calling......

Option game still not good.......
As mentioned, yes, while we were there in March CPU playcalling was still very bad in late game situations. However, also be sure to note that after leaving and having conversations with the devs, it sounds like it should be considerably better. Our focus was on late game situations just because those are absolutely the worst and easy to pinpoint as "atrocious". Obviously time will tell but I feel confident that we should at least no longer see the HB Draw with 5 seconds left in the game and needing to score.

For the Option game, as I mentioned, the overall option game is better. The CPU should run it more effective and after pointing out some of the problems with it in March, it should be even better by release. As well, the new blocking decision making logic should improve as well... I didn't test specifically but based on what has been said, I would assume we should see less of the MLB blowing through the line untouched against the triple option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovt
*Punters will still be effective blockers if subbed in along the line.
Just want to make sure that this is clear... it's not that they're "effective" but rather that essentially any player most likely will still engage in a blocking interaction. I didn't specifically test putting in a P/K at OL but based on how interactions work, they'll essentially always play out an engaged animation. Obviously that could just be the animation that the DL bull rushes through him or quick swim move, but as well I'm sure there will also be times where the P/K would more than likely hold the block for more than a second or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Then, people who have played the game say none of the glaring issues from the past 6 versions are fixed. Then, people say, it's an early build, they can tweak, just wait for the demo. The demo comes out, same issues are still present, people are up in arms about how it's just a demo on a low difficulty level and that retail will be much better.
I just want to clarify here... there is still time to tweak and adjust things, however you're right, there certainly isn't enough time to do any major overhauls at this point.

In general, I do want to make the point that NCAA14 played better overall than NCAA13 but then again it should. It's not the major leap that everyone wants to see each year but it is a better NCAA13.

Again, feel free to ask questions over at TGT and we'll do our absolute best to answer anything that comes through there... obviously at this point it's restricted to Gameplay.

Last edited by gschwendt; 04-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

How about a GCer on the OS staff? Seems like most only post here to say they don't post here.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Banned

GetReal's Arena

OVR: 0

Thanks for clear it up. I'm still a little hesitant and I'm hoping EA keeps their word
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwendt

As mentioned, yes, while we were there in March CPU playcalling was still very bad in late game situations. However, also be sure to note that after leaving and having conversations with the devs, it sounds like it should be considerably better. Our focus was on late game situations just because those are absolutely the worst and easy to pinpoint as "atrocious". Obviously time will tell but I feel confident that we should at least no longer see the HB Draw with 5 seconds left in the game and needing to score.
Appreciate all the info, but this falls into the "believe it when I see it" part of my consciousness. They "say" things will be better all the time, but until it's actually playable in-game and not just a concept on the blackboard, then I think it's fair to say it hasn't been fixed.

Thanks for really answering everyones questions with honesty. Breath of fresh air when so many others just blow smoke up everyones butt.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
How about a GCer on the OS staff? Seems like most only post here to say they don't post here.
An OS person can apply if they want to.

RGiles is a GCer for Madden.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Rookie

Tyler_Bullard's Arena

OVR: 4

Sucks about the OL/DL interactions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »