Home

Madden NFL 25 Cover Vote Down to B. Sanders vs. J. Rice and A. Peterson vs. A. Foster

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 Cover Vote Down to B. Sanders vs. J. Rice and A. Peterson vs. A. Foster within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 25 Cover Vote Down to B. Sanders vs. J. Rice and A. Peterson vs. A. Fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz
Why is Barry Sanders in the running? Last time I checked Emmitt Smith is the NFL's all time leading rusher. I guess 18,355 yards, 3 Super Bowl rings, league MVP & Super Bowl MVP isn't enough to get a mention for the cover of Madden. Proving once again that Madden doesn't represent the game of football.
Because Sanders is one of, if not the most exciting RB ever caught on film. From a "working with what you have" point of view, he's at the top of most people's list.

Better? Everyone has an opinion based on their own criteria. For me, I look for a combination of quantity & quality production. Though Smith has more yards, Sanders was more efficient AND more exciting while playing long enough for me to disregard Smith's advantage in games played and higher totals.

And like you said, it's a team sport. Some of those accolades come with being on better teams. As a RB, you'll get more carries & yards on a winning team. MVPs are almost always on the best teams. Better teams go to SBs, win, and have SB MVPs.

Other reasons Sanders impresses me more:
-The 2nd half of Smith's career looks average next to Sanders'. In fact, Sanders got better as time went on, rushing for 2K in his 9th year and 1,500 in his tenth. Yes, Smith played longer, but Sanders was at the top of his game longer.
-Sanders was named all pro 2 more times than Smith, playing 5 less years.
-Sanders is one of 6 RBs to rush for 2K. And he did it from the I-formation after many attributed his prior success to the run & shoot, spread formations.

If this was a vote for most productive players, I'm sure Smith would be in the mix. Madden covers seem to be more about popularity. Being arguably the more entertaining player, Sanders will always beat Smith in these types of votes.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 25 Cover Vote Down to B. Sanders vs. J. Rice and A. Peterson vs. A. Fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz
I do believe that football is a team sport. It takes more than one man to be successful.
It's even more eye popping that Sanders did it with crappy teams and crappy QB's.

If you are basing it on rings, Marino shouldn't ever be in the discussion of top QB's of all time.

Just saying.

A lot to love with Barry Sanders and he left the game when he was at the top of his game.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 1

Is Smith even top 5?

IMO, I'd take Brown, Payton, Sanders, Dickerson, and Peterson over him for sure.

Faulk and OJ are also in that conversation as well. Sayers didn't play long enough for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Is Smith even top 5?

IMO, I'd take Brown, Payton, Sanders, Dickerson, and Peterson over him for sure.

Faulk and OJ are also in that conversation as well. Sayers didn't play long enough for me.
This all the way. It's funny, even before Marshall Faulk got up there in terms of "best RB talk", he pretty much introduced me to the game. I was too young for Sanders and those before him, but Faulk was pretty exciting. Over time, after watching film and learning about these guys, I'd definitely rank Dickerson, Sanders, Payton, Brown & OJ in the top 5. But in a top 10 I'd definitely have Faulk & Peterson, and even still, at some point between 6 and 9, Emmitt Smith. I don't think you can disregard the numbers Smith has put up in his career.

Between Barry & Rice, it'd be nice to see them both on the cover, personally. But if I had to pick one, it's a tough choich, but I'm going with Jerry Rice.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Is Smith even top 5?
IMO, Sanders, Payton, Simpson, Faulk & Dickerson.

Quote:

Yeah, I nixed Sayers & Peterson for not playing long enough. And I always argue that Brown's dominance MAY not translate to different eras. If Sanders was playing today, he'd still be the most agile RB in the league, making defenders look just as silly as he did in the 90s. Not sure Brown would be bullying today's players like he did in the 60s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7
Guess I'll take a Ray Guy Custom Cover lmao
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

At least with AP or Foster the madden curse might be an injury or a **** season.

Dread to think what will happen to Sanders or Rice.....
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncatto
At least with AP or Foster the madden curse might be an injury or a **** season.

Dread to think what will happen to Sanders or Rice.....

Megatron broke the curse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »