Home

NHL 14 Official Trailer, Six New Features Announced

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Official Trailer, Six New Features Announced within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 14 Official Trailer, Six New Features Announced

Looks promising. Its always been a good series though. It really needs new commentary and graphics overlays though. That being said, please for the love of god don't get Mike Emerick to do the commentary. He's awful to listen to. I'd probably not buy it if he was in it. The commentary needs refreshing though, its been the same for what... 5 years now?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
I'm a pretty casual hockey fan but I have always enjoyed the NHL series. I still play NHL 12 and all I play is Be a Pro. I am interested in how much they have improved the mode. Just wanted to clarify for those who think that since they don't like BAP no else does.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Another NHL game where big hits happen every hit.... yay.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Really happy they changed the dekeing. Hopefully this means the stick handling in this game is better too. As great and fun as the control system is in the game, the dekes and stick handling are so unrealistic. No player extends his arms as far as they do in this game without losing the puck, at least in a game situation. I also hope that the players can keep moving their feet while stick handling. This could really be a big time addition for the game. The only way this is good though, is if only the top players can do the moves.

As for fighting, what a shocker. What a great gameplay addition! Why do people think this is so important? It's the one thing people ask for that just baffles me. It's one of those small details that should get worked on when the AI and gameplay is actually good. Fighting is a 30 second window of the game, and it doesn't even happen every game. To me it's an utter joke that this is even thought of with the issues the gameplay already has.

I'm a little interested on the new hitting physics. I still think it's a shame that for the past 3 years we've all heard about how the system they implemented in NHL 10 was going to redefine the game. Then they go out and supposedly "tune" it each year and bam, here we are with a completely new physics engine borrowed from a different game three years later. I will say it's probably the best way to do it though. The NHL team obviously doesn't have the amount of workers as FIFA, so that is a very smart move. As for the skating, it will also be interesting to see how it's improved.

I'm not going to say that the AI wasn't worked on because it's extremely early for that. I'm sure it did get worked on, but overall I am in no way holding out hope that the main issues with the AI are going to be fixed. If this ends up being the case there is absolutely no way I will be purchasing. I will wait for NHL 15 on PS4, if it looks good enough. No physics, skating changes, or BAP changes, will make this feel any different unless the AI is respectable. That's just plain and simple.

Oh may I add, it was great to see the goalies stuck in the same animations (Cory Schneider and Kari Lehtonen) we've had since NHL 07. I guess it's probably a little too late to redo something like this. Hopefully this is one of the first things worked on for Next Gen.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 04-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Really happy they changed the dekeing. Hopefully this means the stick handling in this game is better too. As great and fun as the control system is in the game, the dekes and stick handling are so unrealistic. No player extends his arms as far as they do in this game without losing the puck, at least in a game situation. I also hope that the players can keep moving their feet while stick handling. This could really be a big time addition for the game. The only way this is good though, is if only the top players can do the moves.
The bolded is my biggest hope for this game, the flow would be so drastically improved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
Rookie

Storm12's Arena

OVR: 12
I am interested in how BAP is improved, but I will wait until it goes on sale to get it, I'm not into buying a game right away anymore. I also wanna see how the fighting is changed (I'm still hoping for more of a catalyst to show when fights need to happen, but the third person will be way better than the first person they use now.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
Looks interesting, but I need to seem improvements to AI and presentation.
Me too, but I don't think either will be touched until next-gen versions come out.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyyt988
Yeah I know, but I also feel that's people's perception simply because they haven't done anything with it at all. I mean, it's virtually the same mode as it was in NHL 09.

When NBA 2k implemented "My Player" mode in NBA 2k10 the perception was the same; "that would be cool, but I think they should work on this or that"-- Now look at the mode? What happen?-- It became their most played game mode. I'm sure they weren't expecting that to be the case, but if you look at the way the mode is design, anyone can see why it's became such a hit. MLB RTTS is another great example of how this mode type can be a hit.

Now I could go all day about the things I think need to be implemented to make the mode a success but that's another story. All I know is this; if implemented correctly, NHL Be a Pro could have the same success, BUT for now, many people think it should be scrap or that "it sucks" and that is because it's so broken and poorly implemented that that's the taste left in people's mouth.
This is what I posted in the other forum about BE A PRO. I'm more than excited that they have implemented this into the game. To the posters that say "No one plays BE A PRO" that may have been true simply because the game didn't capture the idea correctly. This is definitely a step-forward and I'm sure people will enjoy this mode.

Last edited by hockeyyt988; 04-16-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Typo

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »