Home

How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls

This is a discussion on How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls

GoMadden has posted a very good read on how Madden NFL 25 could enhance defensive line controls.

Quote:
Yes, there are user-controls currently available to the defensive line, but no, they’re not good enough. Keep in mind that when I say user-controls are “not good enough,” I’m not saying you can’t get pressure while manually controlling a DE or DT. In fact, I know you can. But it’s simply not enjoyable, not as impacting as it could and should be, and you rarely ever feel like you’re doing the things that you’re intending to do. When players can often find themselves doing the opposite of their intent, it’s a good sign that something needs to change.

I have no problems with Madden NFL playing out the ratings as the DL and OL collide, but it shouldn’t make user players feel like they’re trapped in a simulation without any control over the moves their player attempts to do. In order for Madden 25, or any future Madden for that matter to really include all the superstars that we know and love on defense, the controls need to be completely revamped to enhance the usability of the defensive line.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: How Madden 25 Could Enhance D-Line Controls

I've been talking about this for a while. I like how in 2k you can choose what moves you want to do. If I want to speed rush then hit the OT with a spin move ala Freeney & Mathis, then I should be able to do that. If EA is looking for authenticity, this is a major priority. It all starts in trenches as we know.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Rookie

reddogmaddogbul's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How Madden 25 Could Enhance D-Line Controls

This is a fantastic write up about" D-line modifiers!"This is a must read and a must have in M25!Someone from the dev team should see this idea and get started on this idea right away!!!Times a wasting!!!

Mega
Football is in the building.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls

Madden is in desperate need of this, however I would not expect it to come until they have a complete OL/DL overhaul. (Particularly to the animations)

Right now Madden does not have the functionality, or animations to make DL play fun. Right now, it is as static and boring as watching the OL/DL dance animation that plays out every time.

Madden desperately needs a re-write to the trenches in general. The DL controls certainly need to be a big part of that. They literally need to add hundreds of animations to the trenches to make them look and play out realistically. Once they do that, they could add a modifier and add 20-30 new DL/DE moves to make playing that position fun and rewarding.

(This should be tiered to the ratings, but not just 90+ should have special moves. There should be moves that only 60+, 70+, 80+ and 90+ can have access too. This should go for the RB's, WR's, OL, DB's, LB's, QB's etc..) This is how EA needs to start differentiating players. Add TONS of specific animations that only players rated in specific rating levels have access too)

EDIT- Great write up by this guy though!! Is he a Gamechanger? If not, can we make him one or have a gamechanger take this directly to a developer for next-gen Madden. This would do wonders for the DL play, as long as they add appropriate animations and overhaul the OL animations as well. The days of this static dance, and one player gets a win animations have to end. Not only does it look horrible, but its makes playing D-line and the running game boring. No lanes really open up and it just seems like a big mash of players in the middle.)

Last edited by ch46647; 04-30-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Very good read and very good ideas by the author. Don't want to minimize his ideas, but I think that they are all fairly obvious extensions of getting real DL and OL interactions. As an example, a lot of those suggestions were already in the other game that shall not be named.

Again, don't want to minimize his ideas as they are really good and well thought out, but once you do proper OL/DL line interactions and get rid of static animations, I think that all of those things become fairly obvious. It's just that what we have now is so terrible that there is no point to even contemplate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Rookie

balljonesjr's Arena

OVR: 8
All for it ... And I've been wanting the strip sack in the game since the phrase was coined.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Clint Oldenburg just tweeted that he read the article and thinks its a very good idea. Hopefully he gets this in for us.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

JP, this will absolutely not be in Madden 25. I am sure he means for future iterations. This would require a complete overhaul the the control scheme and a ton of new animations as well.

Hopefully they will get this in to start next-gen though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »