Home

How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls

This is a discussion on How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How Madden NFL 25 Could Enhance Defensive Line Controls

I agree with the concept of bringing back some user determined control to the DL. I just really don't like the "modifier" idea, either for run free or anything else.

I think a better idea would be to bring back the PS2/360 control layout then;

X/A is sprint and tapping that would be bull rush
L/R shoulder buttons would be finesse moves with variances determined by
how long you hold the button, with a player that has a pass rush spin
move you would hold it down for a bit and he would spin on release
within that system you can then have different windows based on
ratings, the higher the rating the longer the "window" (time you can
hold down the button) if you hold to long you could slip/stumble/fall
R stick would be power moves again with variances for how long you hold it
and in what direction

I think the "legacy" control layout is far more intuitive and actually offers up more options and actually helps developers as most moves would require the user to let off the sprint button - thus making "foot-work" a natural part of the user's input to perform the moves.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Clint Oldenburg just tweeted that he read the article and thinks its a very good idea. Hopefully he gets this in for us.
This is not directed at you JP but at the notion that Clint or anyone else at Tiburon have just seen this premise the for the first time, in this write up, lol. Like others have alluded to, this type of player differential is nothing new to video games or sports sim video games.

I actually would be disappointed if this write up was the first time any dev thought of expanding this type of "modifier", ie player differential system, to other positions. It would seem like a natural progression to start out with ball carrier and defenders in general at first, then expand it out to each position. I posted this a few days ago and I know for sure it has been posted about long before this. Hell, GotMadskillzson has an entire thread about it in the NCAA forum. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hand-hand.html

The write up is good and the idea is solid, just as solid as it has been in practice by other games for some time now. Also to anyone seemingly getting caught up in the terminology being used about "combos" and "Street Fighter", you shouldn't. This "modifier" is nothing new or innovative in a sports video game, which is a good thing. It's just EA Tiburon marketing trying to package it as something new because apparently that's how they do. However it's a solid premise used in other sports games, tied to animations and ratings, to differentiate players, hopefully it's done well in Madden.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Rookie

BigBadTom's Arena

This guy gets it and I hope EA takes notice... Huge room for improvement and this guy nailed it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

This is all good stuff, but it's directly aimed at the user. I'm not saying that's a bad thing and more moves would always be better, it just depends on how the AI uses them. As a person who never controls the D-Line all of these moves and modifiers would go virtually unused. And if they weren't implemented into the AI very well, we'd have almost the same static line play we have now.

The same goes for the 'Run-Free' this year. It could turn out to be great for the user side of things but if it's not implemented well for the CPU and you have guys like Darren Sproles trying to truck & hop over everybody, it's going to be awful.

One thing I would like to see out of D-Line play is the lineman using these rush moves outside, or prior to being engaged. I definitely agree that O & D-Line pass play needs some significant improvement.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Yes please! Much needed! I'd like to see the same ability for linebackers when being blocked as well. It's amazing after all these years that something like this has not been implemented into the game. I hope to see this very soon! Good write up and ideas. I'd like to see a spin move be a circle in a direction you want to spin on the right stick though.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Excellent ideas that I'm sure they'll implement in Madden 35.

Yes- 35
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

This guy David Light...give that guy a contract!! It was a really good article and I would like to see this implemented at some point if possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Awesome article....Agree with the whole article; also agree with many of the posts in this thread...There needs to be an overhaul of the def/off line interaction first....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »