Home

NHL 14 Collision Physics Gameplay Trailer

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Collision Physics Gameplay Trailer within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 14 Collision Physics Gameplay Trailer

Not seeing any collisions where both players fall down. I really hope that is still in this game, or else it went back to NHL 11.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Looks fantastisc, BUT...
- Are those clips "the best of the best", meaning, did the EA team take the best 15 out of 1000 hits to make this clip?
- And, did 9 out of 10 of the hits in the video cause a 2 min penalty for "interference" (because the puck wasloose)?

Those are two big questions... But it does look great indeed!

And something I'd like to know, will there be any chance for the puck carrier to brace himself for an incoming check, or even check back?
Talking about "offensive checks" a la Forsberg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7Z5Kb3StI

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

Don't really like being negative but this looks the same except the arms wiggle a bit more when they fall. Did I see goalie contact? Great expect interference calls left and right with the keepers in play. One touch dekes still make me nervous. With all of these new collisions and animations the officiating better be updated or this game is already gone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
Who chooses whether to do a shove or a shoulder check?
I don't think there is an actual checking button anymore. I thought that's what one of the preview articles said. Also if you've ever played FIFA you probably know that when running into a player, that's when their physics system comes into play. Obviously there is no hitting button in FIFA. So now the user actaully has to run into the player to hit them, not just hit a button to do so. IMO I think that is the best way to go about it, as long as they don't lay a guy out every single time.

Now there are a couple things I'm concerned about. If there is no hitting button will running into a player always result into a check or some crazy "ragdoll" animation? Can you rub out a player into the boards to take the puck, instead of a full throttle body check? And finally, will there be any hits where neither player falls down?

I like the idea of this system, but I definitely need to see actual gameplay footage in order to make a true judgement.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Looks pretty good, but c'mon now with the ridiculous leg flailing. I saw a bunch of hits that looked like this resulted in a torn ACL. Definitely look over the top and need tweaking.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I don't think there is an actual checking button anymore. I thought that's what one of the preview articles said. Also if you've ever played FIFA you probably know that when running into a player, that's when their physics system comes into play. Obviously there is no hitting button in FIFA. So now the user actaully has to run into the player to hit them, not just hit a button to do so. IMO I think that is the best way to go about it, as long as they don't lay a guy out every single time.

Now there are a couple things I'm concerned about. If there is no hitting button will running into a player always result into a check or some crazy "ragdoll" animation? Can you rub out a player into the boards to take the puck, instead of a full throttle body check? And finally, will there be any hits where neither player falls down?

I like the idea of this system, but I definitely need to see actual gameplay footage in order to make a true judgement.
But the problem with just running into people, the game already has trouble with interference. Now just bumping a guy causes a hit. Then how is the game going to decide interference? Everytime I bump someone on the way to the puck is my guy going to lay into him? If he does will I get interference calls without even trying? Like before what about goalie collisions? Will we have to avoid the crease and twenty video feet around it just to avoid goalie contact? This really has me concerned, as 13 has already shown problems discerning all of this, now it will be more complicated and less intentional.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Rookie

Garism's Arena

OVR: 2

Looks great but..

Is it just me or does sometimes their leg bend and land in an awkward position where in real life it could be a career ending injury?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 24

Looks good. I wonder though if this is the only way to separate the player from the puck; I'm interested to see if we can "ride" the player to the ice as well. ( I'm not sure of the terminology, sorry)

You know,grabbing the jersey and pulling the player down? Usually happens behind the net in real life?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »