Home

Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments, Explains Defensive Switch Assist (ESPN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments, Explains Defensive Switch Assist (ESPN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments, Explains Defensive Switch Assist (ESPN)

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted a new Madden NFL 25 article discussing defensive adjustments, including an explanation of the defensive switch assist, which helps players on defense.

Quote:
"Another problem was when you switched defenders during a pass and you expected to get the defender over the top, but for whatever reason, when you click on, you end up with the defender underneath,” says Dickson. “Because you’re expecting the defender up top, you’re hitting the left stick down, but when you get the underneath defender instead, by pressing down, you immediately steer him out of the play.

“So what we do this year with switch assist is, if your stick input is more than a certain angle off the direction where your defender is moving, we give you a buffer, which allows you to recognize which defender you switched on to. This enables you to see the direction he’s moving and prevents you from steering the wrong way. In reality, you won’t even realize this assist is there, but the more you play, the more you’ll realize that you’re not steering off the wrong direction like you used to."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments (ESPN)

Nice find, finally they fixed some of the gaffes with the control scheme on defense.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

But that’s not the only defensive switch mishap that’s finally been addressed.

“Another problem was when you switched defenders during a pass and you expected to get the defender over the top, but for whatever reason, when you click on, you end up with the defender underneath,” explains Dickson. “Because you’re expecting the defender up top, you’re hitting the left stick down, but when you get the underneath defender instead, by pressing down, you immediately steer him out of the play.
..."

Thank you for finally doing something about this Tiburon, the "switch to the nearest player" mechanic has been FUBAR for I don't know how long. Seems like it still won't pick the "right" player but at least I won't be unintentionally moving defenders out of position because of it anymore.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Excellent information....Just last night I had the exact issue of going in for a hit stick on the QB and pressing the switch player button because the QB got the ball off and the DB I switched to went into stumble mode giving up a 98 yard TD pass....I almost quit the game; glad to see that this may be a true fix in 25....
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 2
"Big FN Deal" yeah you're right. This switch man logic has been screwed up since last gen. They have never got it right on this generation of console and it sounds like they're making an attempt to fix something that wouldn't be an issue if the AI would switch to the right guy in the first place. Although I appreciate the effort and that EA is finally addressing it's most glaring issues after 10 ten years of ignoring them, I still have to sort of laugh that they are band aiding the symptom instead of fixing the problem. Now if they just program the game so your guy jumps when you actually push the button they'll be getting somewhere...but we'll probably have to wait another ten years for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments, Explains Defensive Switch Assist (ESPN

thank god they finally fixed this I think it has been broke this whole generation if I remember right. nothing more annoying than trying to switch to a db on a long pass and the ai switches you to the "wrong guy". this will help defense immensely and help keep the out of control passing game in check. maybe it will keep the scores of games more realistic as well instead of every contest being a 34-28 shoot-out
Old 05-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 25 Makes Defensive Adjustments, Explains Defensive Switch Assist (ESPN

Sounds like the passing game is not easy any more. Now bring back impired draft classes and allow every player that is leaving there repesctive schools to go into Madden so we kan draft who ever we want. This is truly in the real life game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »