Home

Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Shop just replied to my question about if this works for the wildcat as well.

@Shopmaster: @jpdavis1982 should work the same in any formation that has a read.
Thanks JP.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
You mean like in real life? I don't like this at all. So far the NFL hasn't shown an ability to stop the read option. Why give the user one button that will essentially take all the randomness out of it.

When the Redskins played the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, Washington left DeMarcus Ware unblocked on just about every running play and left him to make the call. Ware was rendered useless for much of the game because of the great ball handling of RGIII and his natural aggression. Dallas coaches were telling DeMarcus to stay at home and not bail on his assignment, but he kept doing it. Now EA gives us a button to take that away.

Based on most running plays in Madden 13, the best way to stop this would be to just have the defender take the QB, because the blocking on the rest of the play was rather bad. Not a fan of this move at all. And yes I do use the Redskins and see the potential to limit the impact of my QB.
This brings up an interesting point that I have tried to make in regards to preplay adjustments, how much User control over players not literally controlled by the User, is too much on the field?

I like the addition of being able "coach up" players but, as I have been suggesting for some time, is that better served to be handled on the sideline, ie the play call screen? Also, should there be some element of AI players messing up, as you aptly described Ware did against my Skins in real life? I guess that would need to be tied to PRC because in Madden, Ware's AWR is likely too high to not make the proper read.

The underlies my point that User control extremist should not be asking for unrealistic omnipresence, they should have to coach on the sideline and actually play with ONE player on the field. If a User doesn't like the reads the defender, in this example Ware, is making, then take User control of Ware or some other defender to manually stop it.

Again, I like the coaching premise but it seems to be another preplay adjustment, that would be better representative of NFL football on the sideline/playcall screen.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Banned

californ14's Arena

Last year we saw more of the Read Option and to very good success; rarely in the NFL does anything, outside the basics, last longer than a year...I am willing to bet the Read Option this year will go the way of the wildcat....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
Last year we saw more of the Read Option and to very good success; rarely in the NFL does anything, outside the basics, last longer than a year...I am willing to bet the Read Option this year will go the way of the wildcat....
Except that the main ball handler in the read option can throw the ball as well as run it. It still seems to be living and thriving in college. The spread read option is another evolution of the game. How many game plans employ the principal of "Lets leave the best pass rusher on the other team unblocked every time we are in this formation."? It needs to have all the pieces to work though.

Washington, Seattle and San Fran were so effective because of their running backs. They could run through those off balance arm tackles and move the chains. If Washington tried to run that offense with Roy Helu, it would've been dead in the water. Having a back that can run through tackles and gain 4,5,6, yards is what makes that edge defender feel like he needs to chase the RB to help the defense, because everytime he stays at home and watches the QB the RB gains 6 yards.

That said, I fully expect to see the defense make some adjustments to the read option this year and contain it better. But, it will still come down to a few simple things, discipline and tackling.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

The way to eventually stop the read option is having committed assignments and likely two LB spies, as well (one for the QB - one for the primary RB). In the committed assignments, the blocking/decoy backs should get swallowed up.

So, in Madden 25, my best bet is having defensive calls against such read option (ab)users being every formation with a spying LB, trigger/button my commits and probably being USER with another LB (or a NB, even).
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Banned

californ14's Arena

Quote:
Except that the main ball handler in the read option can throw the ball as well as run it. It still seems to be living and thriving in college. The spread read option is another evolution of the game. How many game plans employ the principal of "Lets leave the best pass rusher on the other team unblocked every time we are in this formation."? It needs to have all the pieces to work though.

Washington, Seattle and San Fran were so effective because of their running backs. They could run through those off balance arm tackles and move the chains. If Washington tried to run that offense with Roy Helu, it would've been dead in the water. Having a back that can run through tackles and gain 4,5,6, yards is what makes that edge defender feel like he needs to chase the RB to help the defense, because everytime he stays at home and watches the QB the RB gains 6 yards.

That said, I fully expect to see the defense make some adjustments to the read option this year and contain it better. But, it will still come down to a few simple things, discipline and tackling.

Super Bowl was not won by a Read Option team. I get what you're saying, I just disagree...Also, get a QB, that million dollar baby, knocked out of a game or more and you will see a new story told...

Defenses just need to spread the play is all; maintain gaps and pursuit paths...Teams that got beat by the Read Option where over zealous and bunched their defenses up; the GB Packers are a perfect example; they lacked patience and discipline to contain the Read Option.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
I welcome a strategy assignment, like NCAA but the power to dictate the assignment in "bullet time"?

It is another training wheel mehanism. Is this feature an option? Is the offensive prowess really this powerful that it warrants these heat-seeking radar devices on defense?

I guess this is a 'flaged way of disgusing reads as you can clearly now make any individual great or poor in the "heat of the moment" (by bypassing ratings that govern this read and react ability) - It is not like the CPU uses these controls.

It is yet another indicator of more user tyranny destroying the integrity of the game. It appeases arcade fanfare and although it may share a potentially safe *risk:reward factor, what good is it for the CPU AI in the balance of gameplay?

Will I use this tool? Perhaps. I may have no choice if the CPU AI does not use their brains to adjust. I already had the power to spy and set QB edge contain which has worked well enough in the past.

*This feature reminds me of playmaker control albeit playmaker control was more relevant in the simulation sense. I wonder what the window of opportunity is like: Is there a slowdown effect that gives the User D time to lock-on and engage?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 06-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
You mean like in real life? I don't like this at all. So far the NFL hasn't shown an ability to stop the read option. Why give the user one button that will essentially take all the randomness out of it.

When the Redskins played the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, Washington left DeMarcus Ware unblocked on just about every running play and left him to make the call. Ware was rendered useless for much of the game because of the great ball handling of RGIII and his natural aggression. Dallas coaches were telling DeMarcus to stay at home and not bail on his assignment, but he kept doing it. Now EA gives us a button to take that away.

Based on most running plays in Madden 13, the best way to stop this would be to just have the defender take the QB, because the blocking on the rest of the play was rather bad. Not a fan of this move at all. And yes I do use the Redskins and see the potential to limit the impact of my QB.
Was that said somewhere that the Dallas coaches were telling Ware to stay at home? Because I just found the Redskins offensive plays in that game on youtube and to me I looks like the gameplan was to check the back first and then pursue because not once does Ware (or the other DE) ignore the back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »