Home

NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Talks Priorities, Synergy, Commitment & More

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Talks Priorities, Synergy, Commitment & More within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Really bro smh lol

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Yes really bro nodding my head! As good as all the sports games look, madden, NHL, FIFA, UFC, etc.. and i know there arent many in the category of sports at e3 but live was nominated 3x and actually took home a best sports game award. Those other games displayed some impressive stuff so for live to outshine any of them with just a simple bounce tek demo of the game says something, IMO. Nba live probably showed the least of any other sports game shown and still received alot of recognition.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Wow, the guy seems sincere but it's hard not to be skeptical with EA. However, I'll be cautiously optimistic for competition sake.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Talks Priorities, Synergy, Commitment & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
The use of Synergy isnt a novelty or just some fancy words, is a proven, reliable feature that was well received by most Live fans (and may I say, many 2k fans too, i.e. me). One can argue how it is implemented (how ratings interact between them and are related to the available data), but non can argue facts. Yes, there is a level of oncourt context that complements data, but what people fail to see is that such context is already in videogames, in the form of user-cpu interaction and the decissions that present during games.
Synergy integration is possibly a step towards a direction 2k somewhat ignored in the past. What I wouldn't like to see though is adjusting offensive abilities on a short term basis. Now if there are young players clearly showing improvements over the course of the season, or veterans regressing in terms of athleticism, it's nice to have changes backed up by objective data. But overreacting to hot streaks isn't the way to go imo.
Just look at J.R. Smith...if someone actually watched the Knicks and looked at advanced stats, it was absolutely clear that his numbers were a result of taking lots of shots and attacking the rim more ( which would've warranted adjustments to individual tendencies if anything). Instead, 2k decided to jack up his offensive ratings turning him into arcade superman.
And not surprisingly, he was shut down in the playoffs. I think you get my point. Should Danny Green have 3pt maxed out for 2 games if he tears it up in real life? Don't think so.

Basically, I hope EA is careful with constantly changing ratings, concentrating more on individual tendencies and maybe even the type and frequency of plays used by teams instead.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 33

Thats why Synergy integration is so welcomed, they track a really wide array of standard and advanced stats, IMHO, by far the best site. The key to correctly portrait a player in a given timeframe, is to alter what he has been doing differently, be it tendencies or efficiency ... the difference is huge when you go the subjective route (2K) than when you go the route of facts (meassurable data).

I am all in for having players play as their real life counterpart during any timeframe of the season, so if for 5-10 games or so LBJ becomes R. Dupree 2.0, I would want his digital counterpart to do as well and if/once he regains his level, I want him to do it also ...

Now, add in the promised "after 1 hour" (non selective, based on past entries) updates statement and we may be inline to witness a true authentic depiction of the NBA, like never seen before.

Here is to hope that they can sustain such promise, that they can make propper use of this tool and back it up with neat animations and physics to showcase oncourt (there is more on a videogame than ratings and tendencies), if so, I believe this can be a deciding factor that helps Live be relevant again ... thus I am keeping my expectations in check, and at least want Live to show me sights of the future that they are aiming and signs of solid/serious effort being put onto it.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 06-21-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
I am all in for having players play as their real life counterpart during any timeframe of the season, so if for 5-10 games or so LBJ becomes R. Dupree 2.0, I would want his digital counterpart to do as well and if/once he regains his level, I want him to do it also ...
I like this type of approach for some kind of live season mode if gamers want to recreate real life storylines of some guys struggling and others having a hot streak, but outside of that I think short term rating changes should be optional. If tendencies get adjusted maybe even on a daily basis, I'd love that. With ratings though, outside of a specific real life related season, maybe updates could be made in bigger intervals.
What about a comprehensive adjustment for all players at the end of each month to track trends lasting longer than some generic hot/cold streak?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
Pro

kjjnesb's Arena

OVR: 4

I found this bit interesting

Quote:
Obviously, with NBA 2K in the picture, I can't reveal our entire feature set
Obviously skeptical based on past efforts but it seems to me that not only are they attempting to make a solid basketball game but also trying innovate where 2K isn't.

From a personal stand point I'm a big career mode guy and while 2K has a good amount of depth in that area My Player can become very dull and routine and Association is really lacking innovation and polish from an AI stand point for going on 3 yrs now.

I knows its improbable but if on top of having good solid gameplay they also had a Live version of Madden's Career mode they could be a serious contender to kick this new generation off..

I remember reading in the Tech behind Connected Franchise that they were sharing the 'FranTk' or Franchise tool kit with other sports games so I'm eager to see if live is part of that.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3
He missed a key point: right now, the game isn't only about dribbling or individual flashiness, it is more about how you put together a game that can really simulates the team basketball and reward those good ball movement, which 2k even hasn't achieved.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnesb
I found this bit interesting

Obviously skeptical based on past efforts but it seems to me that not only are they attempting to make a solid basketball game but also trying innovate where 2K isn't.

From a personal stand point I'm a big career mode guy and while 2K has a good amount of depth in that area My Player can become very dull and routine and Association is really lacking innovation and polish from an AI stand point for going on 3 yrs now.
:

I knows its improbable but if on top of having good solid gameplay they also had a Live version of Madden's Career mode they could be a serious contender to kick this new generation off..

I remember reading in the Tech behind Connected Franchise that they were sharing the 'FranTk' or Franchise tool kit with other sports games so I'm eager to see if live is part of that.
Considering at this point all I play are be-a-pro modes the lack of progression with 2K is starting to turn me off. There's hardly anything authentic or rewarding about MyCareer.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »