Home

Gran Turismo 6 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 6 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Gran Turismo 6 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

The Gran Turismo 6 demo is available now. It includes the following modes on the new Silverstone track.
  • A quick tutorial that includes tips and tricks on the controls and navigating around the track
  • Four warm-up races using two Nissan cars, the LEAF and 370Z
  • Five time trials on the Silverstone track driving the Nissan 370Z, four of which take place on various sections of the track, and one being the full lap. That one full lap time becomes the entry time for GT Academy.
Get in a few laps and let us know what you think.

Platform: PS3
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 07-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Rookie

B1MM3R's Arena

OVR: 0
Need to play this demo and see if they improved the car sounds. Its annoying, after playing forza, how all of the cars in gt5 sound exactly the same.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Gran Turismo 6 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Might be able to try this tonight.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Pro

Graphically it looks exactly like GT5 to me, but the handling felt different and you notice the new physics engine which is really nice. When I was racing against the AI I was able to bump them off the spot around corners without penalty which I was hoping would finally be changed. Didn't notice any damage effects to the driving . I will say though it feels extremely realistic if you are just focusing on the driving; accelerating/braking/handeling. By far more accurate than any other racing sim. The menus seem very similar to GT5 as well which is a disappointment for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Banned

it's same ole, Gran Turismo, Forza, Need for Speed, they all have gotten Old and wore...It's time for something fresh and New!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry Fans of the games..I'm sure some will enjoy it very much..But they all has gotten like some of our sport games, just flat....add a little here and there and ship is the way anymore..maybe Burned out is a better way to say it..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Rookie

not so encouraging comments so far, i was going to try this demo out but i don't really want to waste my time either. i hope the ps4/xboxwhatever transform racing games because they are too stale, i agree w/ footballfan41.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Gran Turismo 6 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Playing through it now. The physics and the sense of speed is noticeably better than in past versions. I haven't played Forza so I can't compare. Feels good but definitely an update. At least the load times are way better.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Okay, well, I guess my opinion is quite different.

The first thing you'll see is the menu. These are much improved, as the layout seems more fluid, the load times are much faster, and they even tied the main menu into the "start" button. Why was this not done from day 1?

The physics are greatly improved. Your first race is in a Nissan Leaf, and the first time you try to "throw it into a corner" you'll notice a tremendous amount of body roll. I find myself cocking my head to the side trying to orient myself in the corners. This is much reduced in the second challenge in the 370Z, as it should be. I'm a Dual Shock racer (no wheel) and I have to say the "feel" of the cars makes everything else I've played from Forza to GT5 feel like arcade games. You feel every bump in the corner rumble strips, accelerating in a tight turn you can feel the rear end start to kick out, and spinning into the grass is a whole different level of feel, from the sliding and bumping just trying to recover. They say with the faster cars you'll even be able to feel the difference in air density from hot noon racing to cool air night racing, but that isn't present in the demo.

The graphics are better, but you need to know where to look to notice it. Cars used to go "low res" when behind or in smoke, no longer. The shadows and glare seem much more realistic to my eye, and if you pay close attention you can even see birds flying overhead and airplane trails (sorry, don't know the tech term for them).

Let me stress, however, that while I love this game, it's certainly not for everyone. It's a driving simulator. It's not really a racing game or car damage simulator (though it does very well on things like gas usage and tire wear, if they trend from gt5 continues). If you're looking to get nitro boosts or do barrel rolls or go 350mph, this isn't your game. If you want to know what it feels like to take a Lamborghini Aventador around the Nürburgring, or try to recreate the Mustang's famous dominance at Leguna Seca, this is the one for you.

This will be a day one purchase for me, and more than likely Forza will be as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »