Home

NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pivots

This is a discussion on NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pivots within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Next gen hockey needs to have:

1) Live stick physics (no more clipping and ghosting).

2) All stick checking moved to the right joystick for full range of motion.

Putting hitting on the right joystick is just a waste. All you need is a simple button press to prepare your player's body for a hit.

But stick checking needs directional input to go with the button command. Otherwise you just get what we have now, where your stick flails out in a random direction with a preset animation, which produces incredibly unrealistic results.

Under the current system, the puck can be right in front of you in perfect defensive position, but once you press the poke check or stick lift buttons, you are at the mercy of a dice roll, and have just as much chance of slashing or tripping the puck carrier for no reason other than the game is programmed to stick check in a random direction.

Stick checking success right now is almost entirely based on player ratings (discipline, stick checking) rather than user input (proper positioning, timing).
You know when you hold down the stick check button you can swipe the stick in any direction using the right stick
Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
You know when you hold down the stick check button you can swipe the stick in any direction using the right stick
And you can also change the control scheme so that the R-stick is poke check and hitting is R1 + R stick

Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #19
Rookie

jonapaloma's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
And it works pretty bad. Almost no accuracy at all
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonapaloma
And, at least when I try it with RB+stick, I sometimes get an unintended check animation as well.

My guy said the skating changes arguably benefit defenders more than the puck carrier. The quicker turns/pivots make for less clumsy defending and when combined with the much needed defensive strafing, make it easier to stay in position and keep the puck carrier to the outside. He added you can definitely avoid checks coming "from a mile away" thanks to the changes (and quick dekes, I assume), so here's hoping better positional defense is rewarded over seek & destroy.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I really wish they would add in the stick collisions and all other types of collisions. Rammer said they tried adding it in but they didn't like the feel of it. I don't know if I believe that. I think it was just too much work for them to get perfect so they didn't add it. Full collisions is what this series is missing. You should be rewarded for playing good positional defense by staying in front of the player and the puck, not trashed for it because the EA devs like goal fests.
yeah, he said it caused too many loose pucks, and it took a lot of "fun" out of the game. the casual gamers win yet again! why this cant be an option to turn on or off is beyond me. i bet anything its on the disk and that they could turn it on via a tuner if they wanted to.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

Quote:
Have you taken into account the "stick checking" rating of the player you are attempting to poke with as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
And you can also change the control scheme so that the R-stick is poke check and hitting is R1 + R stick
Does changing that actually making any difference in your opinion
Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
Rookie

jonapaloma's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Have you taken into account the "stick checking" rating of the player you are attempting to poke with as well
The thing is it doesn't matter if you change the attributes since no matter what you do they dont effect the gameplay.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

Quote:
The thing is it doesn't matter if you change the attributes since no matter what you do they dont effect the gameplay.
There is a whole "attribute effect" slider that says otherwise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »