Home

EA Files Motion to Be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case

This is a discussion on EA Files Motion to Be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
EA needed NCAA more then what people think they do, I'm sure most won't be happy with the Collage game that's made under the CLC...CLC is just schools, they going to be a big diff in the games, I'm happy it's will get a Name change...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Re: EA Files Motion to Be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case

Is CLC just schools or is it conferences as well?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Banned

BigMoneyAllDay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtom
So this is what ea has been working on instead of a patch...
um billtom you realize that ea doesnt use its ncaa devs as lawyers right? wtf?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyAllDay
You do realize that his was probably joking, right?

And you do realize that at some point, EA is probably going to have to have their NCAA Developers testify in some way saying they didn't use any type of player likeliness.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyAllDay
Wait a sec are you telling me that the guys that make a video game are not also top notch lawyers litigating in a class action lawsuit?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoco11
EA is still holding on to their wildcard argument!

Doubtful this will be tossed out, in a civil case you don't need to present your facts at pre-motion hearings, so EA is just creating more paperwork and headlines knowing this isn't going to work. It's just driving up O'Bannon's legal fees.

Once the trial starts, EA is going to use their number 1 defense "We followed NCAA rules barring payments... Yes we used their likeness, but the NCAA rules still state they cannot receive payments as amateurs... therefore we owe Keller & O'Bannon nothing".

Only reason the NCAA is sh!tting bricks is because as a non-profit, they made a boatload of profit off this deal. Their hypocrisy will be on trial, and EA can sit back and let their former business partner take the fall.
lol looking forward to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
I really wouldn't be surprised at all if some point EA says "forget it, this game isn't worth our trouble."

Let's face it, if you were to rank the heavy hitters in the EA Sports lineup, NCAA Football is what. 3rd or 4th on the list? Madden and FIFA are most definitely more important to EA, and I'd wager NHL is probably above it as well. It's not like NCAA sells an absolute ton either; I mean it does fine for what it is, but it's not like this is a title that EA puts at the top of its portfolio.

Between the NCAA dumping the license, and now what this could potentially become, there have to be some people at EA questioning whether or not this series is worth continuing.
behind NHL??? I just read another post that said NHL has sold 1.2 mil copies per year these last few years. I would have to guess NCAA is more than that based on the fact that it's maddens little brother/beta lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
You do realize that his was probably joking, right?

And you do realize that at some point, EA is probably going to have to have their NCAA Developers testify in some way saying they didn't use any type of player likeliness.
By testify you mean lie right? ..... right?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 30
Hmmm. EA may get out of this because of the fact that they paid for license to use for their game and representing college football is what the game is supposed to be about. The NCAA amateur sports clause for nonpayment of players is apart of all that but who knows. The law and rules don't always work right....right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
Hopefully something is resolved soon. I want a college basketball game and this case certainly isn't helping issues
The NCAA owns "March Madness" and the NCAA tournament.....I suppose a generic game could be made but without the actual tournament it wouldn't be worth it to EA to bother.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »