Home

NHL 14 Video & Blog - Goalie Collisions, Realistic Incidental Contact & Penalty Calls

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Video & Blog - Goalie Collisions, Realistic Incidental Contact & Penalty Calls within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 14 Video & Blog - Goalie Collisions, Realistic Incidental Contact & Penalty Calls

EA Sports has just posted another NHL 14 blog, which discusses the improved goalie collisions, more realistic incidental contact and penalty calls.

Improved Goalie Collisions
  • Goalie Reactions to Contact – Goalies will be live in all areas of the ice and their reactions to contact are much more realistic, utilizing the improved ragdoll physics models introduced with NHL® Collision Physics.
  • Goalie Interference – Improved logic ensures that big collisions with the goalie will result in penalty calls. Additionally, goals that come as a result of goalie interference will be called back more consistently.
More Realistic Incidental Contact
  • Speed and Momentum Matter – Not only will incidental contact occur more frequently, but speed and momentum will determine whether players colliding incidentally will trip and stumble or remain in control. Player balance attributes will also play a significant role in the outcome.
Penalty Calls
  • Interference – Expect stricter calls. Defenders won’t be able to hit attacking players as late after they release the puck.
  • Boarding/Hitting from Behind – Enhanced penalty logic judges the appropriate circumstances of a hit (angle, speed and result of the hit) and ensures the right call is made in each situation.
  • Charging – Additional logic has been added to understand the variables of each hit, such as the hitter’s speed and line taken.

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Millennium; 08-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Rookie

Mongo14's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 14 Video and Blog - Goalie & Incidental Contact

Sounds like this is the last video. Time to start making the big decision. I'm a annual buyer so I know I'm buying it.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Nice. I like that goalies are "live" and will get the same collision physics as the skaters. I wonder if they will also be live when they play the puck outside the crease?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

While I agree that this game could use an overhaul to presentation, and BAGM modes. Even the biggest doubters of this series cannot deny the significant improvements made to gameplay this year.

The gameplay looks to have been vastly improved, and this game looks FUN AS H*LL.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
While I agree that this game could use an overhaul to presentation, and BAGM modes. Even the biggest doubters of this series cannot deny the significant improvements made to gameplay this year.

The gameplay looks to have been vastly improved, and this game looks FUN AS H*LL.
There does seem to be a lot of improvements.
My biggest concern is still AI. I only play offline so if I play on AS or SS levels, will we still see 7th dmen sniping corners and deking through my entire team while my all-star players feel like they're skating in mud and get knocked off the puck by 5'3" soft dmen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Glad goalie collisions are back. I don't like that they're touting it as "new". They were in NHL 12, they seemed to have taken it out for NHL 13, and now it's back. But whatever, at least it's back.

The other stuff sounds great. All welcome additions.

I just can't help but wish there were more BaGM improvements though.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 14 Video & Blog - Goalie Collisions, Realistic Incidental Contact & Penalty C

lol. why was this removed in NHL13?

this was IN NHL12. ridiculous
Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 14 Video & Blog - Goalie Collisions, Realistic Incidental Contact & Penalty C

While I completely understand the frustration on the lack of presentation and BAGM improvements, I simply do not think this team has the resources to improve every area.

This year it seems they decided to go all in on actual gameplay improvements. Maybe to solidify an already great foundation heading into next-gen. Regardless, Id expect huge improvements to modes and presentation on next-gen NHL 15.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »