Home

Report: SEC Marks in Next Year's EA College Title, One School Out

This is a discussion on Report: SEC Marks in Next Year's EA College Title, One School Out within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Report: SEC Marks in Next Year's EA College Title, One School Out

It appears the news which ESPN broke and the rest of the internet ran with yesterday (including us) was a bit premature as far as the SEC's involvement within the game. According to Owen Good at Kotaku, sources with knowledge of the situation say the SEC marks will be in next year's college football game despite yesterday's reports.

However those same sources do confirm the Big Ten and Pac-12 won't be in the game.

Also in Good's report is the mention that all but one school will be in next year's game, which is certainly a relief but far from guarantees the series' long term viability until a 'Division 4' model is fully realized within the next decade -- which will all but guarantee a fully licensed and fully named College Football game from EA Sports well into the future.

Pasta Padre sourced an article of an interview with the AD from the University of Washington, who was going to recommend they not license to EA Sports -- but according to Kotaku, UW is not the missing team from next year's game.

That is an important story in and of itself because if a schools athletic department doesn't want to be licensed, it may only be a matter of time before they opt out of the license. As I stated yesterday, it's not a matter of if schools can opt out of the agreement they are in with EA Sports currently through the CLC -- the only question is how much will it cost to exit the agreement if anything.

While today's news does seem to indicate most schools are still on board with the College Football product from EA Sports -- it also underscores the product's shaky foundation it still sits on as schools like UW will continue to monitor their legal risks vs. monetary rewards of being involved with EA's College Football product.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
This is just a really volatile time for the series. I am cautiously optimistic but I may wait a couple years and roll with '14 for the foreseeable future, just to see how things play out.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Rookie

AlwaysBased's Arena

OVR: 2
the end of college video games as we know it..
Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Report: SEC Marks in Next Year's EA College Title, One School Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
This is just a really volatile time for the series. I am cautiously optimistic but I may wait a couple years and roll with '14 for the foreseeable future, just to see how things play out.
Why would you do that? If this is true, the game will be missing 1 team. Would you really skip out on the '15 because of one team.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Hopefully not too many will skip the game. Support is essential if we want to see the series continue. It would suck if poor sales means the series gets canned, and then the court ruling is in EA's favor meaning things could go back to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I think we all knew College Football 15 was going to have most if not all the teams, but question is what is going to happen after next year.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

What a great find by PastaPadre! Except I found it and I posted it. Even though it was not deemed worthy of its own thread, somehow made Kotaku. Not to shabby.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4

NCAA13 was missing a team. So this is nothing new.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »