Home

The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang

This is a discussion on The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang

The grind of a yearly sports videogame can work the nerves in so many different ways. GameSpot has posted an interesting look behind the scenes with NBA 2K14 lead gameplay designer, Mike Wang. Make sure you give it a read, you might learn a few things.

Quote:
Wang believes that developers given multiple years to fulfill their vision have an inherent advantage over those who work on a yearly schedule. "[Sports developers] don't have the liberty of a two- or three-year cycle," he said, "so you don't get to see these big jumps." Because there isn't an obvious technical leap from one entry of NBA 2K to the next, a layman may not recognize how dramatic the improvements are. But if you compare every second or third entry in the series--putting NBA2K on the same development timeline as other franchises--you can see a jump that's on par with its more respected peers.

..."If we're at that point where we feel we can't innovate any further, we can't take the game any further, then we shouldn't be here."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / Wii U / PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 08-19-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer with Mike Wang

Mike and his staff should do a behind the game documentary of sorts going through the daily struggles of the game. Make it a webisode thing - I promise that thing will bubble if its released a month or two before the game drops and ends as the game is released.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Good stuff. I enjoy hearing truthful tidbits on the development process, as I do not know much about the in's and out's.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

One thing I loved about the old CH was that they had another studio working on the game (Kush) and when 2k took over the project, you didn't see a drop in quality.

I promise if these guys could get involved with someone that allowed them to switch off between years like what the COD games did we'd probably get a chance to see what Mike is mentioning here. I understand why people say nuh uhn, it aint gonna happen...its just something I wish they could do.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Good stuff. I enjoy hearing truthful tidbits on the development process, as I do not know much about the in's and out's.
same here. It also let the fans know the dilemma that developers have to face on a yearly basis. I imagine it would be quite harder. This is why I try to always take everything with patience when it comes to these games. However, 2k has shown that they can innovate well within a year. Just think of the jump between 2k10 and 2k11 it was a completely different and better game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang

After I read this It made me feel sorry for the devs, it's really unfair that they don't get nearly the amount of time most of these games get but get all of the backlash. They have really improved their game from year to year which is impressive, even 2k13 in some areas is really an improvement. Now knowing the facts that a lot of stuff was year one stuff, it really answers a lot of stuff that I see during games. Devs did the best they could do.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Rookie

MoultonHawk's Arena

OVR: 1
I understand what Wang is saying, but if the game wasn't broken every year, and many things not fixed we wouldn't have that problem. My team was broken , they never fixed it. I couldn't drop players. Stolen VC glitch never fixed. No matter how good my defense was the player would still make the perfectly contested jumper iif he was shooting with a superstar, drove me crazy,
Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Rookie

MoultonHawk's Arena

OVR: 1
As well it shouldn't be so easy to score under the paint if you are playing excellent man on ball defense, where the only open look is directly under the basket which is so hard to stop if the opponent does it repetitively. We shouldn;t be punished for playing man on ball defense. The people playing off ball should be punished. Man on ball D is how a SIM game should be played.

They need to make online a more user friendly excellent experience like NBA LIVE 2005 used to for example, online lobbies were epic, complete with different rooms, matchup games we could choose to join, DNF %, records, skill level, etc, and a chat box, and everyone had an avatar. So much fun !

However, all that being said we love NBA 2K, we just want it too be perfect. THat's why Wang gets the big bucks. Thanks Mike !

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »