Home

The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang

This is a discussion on The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: The Tough Road of Being a Sports Developer, Featuring Mike Wang

Heres my resolution, go Call of Duty and have two teams work on two games and release them every other year. Make My Player/Path to Glory or whatever a separate title, release it one year then NBA 2k the next and keep rotating. If their was a dedicated team for My Player I believe it can be deep enough for a stand alone game.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Heres my resolution, go Call of Duty and have two teams work on two games and release them every other year. Make My Player/Path to Glory or whatever a separate title, release it one year then NBA 2k the next and keep rotating. If their was a dedicated team for My Player I believe it can be deep enough for a stand alone game.
But make the myplayer an MMO... where you can play pickup games to gain points to make better player, join a MMO league ala 2Konline (2kCHINA). I believe this will happen 2k15 next gen.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 12

Article is on point. Sports games in general don't get as much appreciation as the fantasy RPG n FPS games out there. NBA 2K deserves credit for always striving to stay true to the sport and I think it's the sim crowd / hardcore NBA and basketball fans who see that and appreciate that effort the most. From subtle gameplay tweaks only hardcore fans would notice to all "the little things" that brings the game to life, this is a franchise that truly 'gets it' and they deserve a ton of credit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Sorry, but I wouldn't trust another developer to do the game right. Its not like you can't tell COD is done by two different teams. What about BioShock and BioShock 2?

Nope. Do not agree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Article is on point. Sports games in general don't get as much appreciation as the fantasy RPG n FPS games out there. NBA 2K deserves credit for always striving to stay true to the sport and I think it's the sim crowd / hardcore NBA and basketball fans who see that and appreciate that effort the most. From subtle gameplay tweaks only hardcore fans would notice to all "the little things" that brings the game to life, this is a franchise that truly 'gets it' and they deserve a ton of credit.
Sports games have to have the depth of an turn based strategy, the visual quality of a front line FPS, the character development of an RPG, and the balance of an RTS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't mean any disrespect, but 2k, you haven't touched a mode (association) whatsoever for 4 years. 4 YEARS. 5 if association hasn't been fixed this year. Surely it's not much to ask for for at least 50% of the issues to be fixed.

Last edited by Melbournelad; 08-20-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
I don't mean any disrespect, but 2k, you haven't touched a mode (association) whatsoever for 4 years. 4 YEARS. Surely it's not much to ask for for at least 50% of the issues to be fixed.
A link to the article is going to become the standard response to any negative feedback towards 2k14 on this site, lol.

I agree. On the one hand, I know that developing a game is harder than I might think. But since they're talking about year one of a feature is alpha stage, and it gets fixed and perfected the year after...well association has been a mess for 10 years now, the touches system was broken in all 3 games since introduced, rosters have been highly inaccurate for I don't know how long now. And it's not like this stuff means asking for huge new features. Just making things already in the game work as they should. That's where 2k should show progress with 2k14, otherwise I'm not buying it. I want to, but if they didn't improve some key issues, why should I?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
MVP

Melbournelad's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
A link to the article is going to become the standard response to any negative feedback towards 2k14 on this site, lol.

I agree. On the one hand, I know that developing a game is harder than I might think. But since they're talking about year one of a feature is alpha stage, and it gets fixed and perfected the year after...well association has been a mess for 10 years now, the touches system was broken in all 3 games since introduced, rosters have been highly inaccurate for I don't know how long now. And it's not like this stuff means asking for huge new features. Just making things already in the game work as they should. That's where 2k should show progress with 2k14, otherwise I'm not buying it. I want to, but if they didn't improve some key issues, why should I?
Exactly. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be as many of us as there are those clamoring for things like Crew and MyTeam. Altough i don't understand why. I would of thought the main mode of an NBA game would be to experience a realistic representation of controlling an NBA team. AKA Association.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »