Home

ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA

This is a discussion on ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: ESPN: More College Properties Might Not Licensing to EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's not just about revenue for these schools. Their presence in the game is valuable as advertising for not only their school but other revenue streams like merchandise.

But yes, all this crap is getting out of hand. I just want the court case to end so everything is clear. Just put the game on hiatus until it's all over.
Putting the game on hiatus would kill the series. I've pretty much have come to grips that this will be the last college football game coming out of EA.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
All this is isn't a huge deal if EA gives us a game with the tools to fully customize bowls, playoffs, logos, conferences, conference logos, teams, uniforms, stadiums, etc. BUT that will obviously never happen given their track record over the last decade.
I think you nailed it -- the game needs to be very customizable - somehow I just don't see that happening. I'm guessing NCAA Football 14 will become like College Hoops 2k8 and people will create new roster sets each year.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc85
I think you nailed it -- the game needs to be very customizable - somehow I just don't see that happening. I'm guessing NCAA Football 14 will become like College Hoops 2k8 and people will create new roster sets each year.
Saves me $60 a year plus the cost of wanting to buy a PS4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: our only hope at a full game past next year is for that lawsuit to be settled.
If O'Bannon etc win the case then the future of any college related merchandise could be in doubt, because the NCAA will flat out not pay players.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I said this awhile ago. These schools don't make enough from EA to go thru the hassle of being involved in this NCAA vs player battle.

If EA accounted for 30% of their revenue or so, they'd be all on board. But they'd rather lose the 5% and avoid a potential headache
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4h4mb0
Lets say that EA has to use generic teams, would that affect Nike's design in the uniforms too? I could deal with generic teams if they had sleek modern uniform touches to them.
I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that would be fine, if there was a deal between EA and Nike, as long as the actual designs didn't directly copy an actual school's.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 4
I'm sorry, I just don't see a generic game surviving in this climate. Even with the inclusion of customization. EA would have to actually monitor and enforce strict policies on team builder in regard to using logos and trademarks. They do not police this now because they own the right to use the trademarks and logos. I would imagine it would be similar to when youtube started blowing up and the different sports leagues seeked legal action and deals pertaining to unauthorized hosting of highlights.

The game would have to almost be beyond Generic. If I'm apart of the chick-fil-a bowl committee and EA tries to make the "atlanta bowl" in a dome stadium I am going to sue. ED O'bannon is suing for the same thing "generic" use of likeness.

a team called College Station? Tuscaloosa? These cities are only known for their college teams. EA would only open themselves up to more potential litigation. By having the city name of a college team who did not give them the right to use or reference their trademarks. Maybe there isn't much of a case there but ppl said the same thing years ago when this Obannon Mess started.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Pro

laxman490's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Lets say that EA has to use generic teams, would that affect Nike's design in the uniforms too?
nike would never go through the trouble on creating 100+ random uniforms for a video game.

Quote:
I could deal with generic teams if they had sleek modern uniform touches to them.
you say that now, but go play PES before it had any licenses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »