Home

FIFA 14 - What's the Difference Between Current-Gen and Next-Gen?

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 - What's the Difference Between Current-Gen and Next-Gen? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA 14 - What's the Difference Between Current-Gen and Next-Gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I was upset when it was first announced. But after watching the NG gameplay, it's clear the game is basically a CG port. With FIFA PC mods we can have all that and more anyway.
I KNOW, THAT'S PART OF WHAT STILL PISSES ME OFF!!!

If what EA is saying is true about Ignite and how much more they can do with the game using it, concerning animations and AI behavior, imagine what modders could do with it!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
I was upset when it was first announced. But after watching the NG gameplay, it's clear the game is basically a CG port. With FIFA PC mods we can have all that and more anyway.
Totally agree with this.

Reports are emerging that EA has scooped up certain La Liga stadiums to exclusive deals. I would, for once, like EA to stop relying so much on exclusivity and actually produce good gameplay. and I say this with respect to all their franchises. It seems like their aim is always to stamp out competition as opposed to making a good game - even though they say they are doing the opposite.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
If what EA is saying is true about Ignite and how much more they can do with the game using it, concerning animations and AI behavior, imagine what modders could do with it!
I don't buy or trust the hype. The above article says "More believable behavior from its players." What does that mean in EA's world? If they meant an emphasis on simulation realism, FIFA CG would have that already. EA designs their games and game features for a very particular target group, so I would guess "believable behavior" has more to do with player-specific animations and celebrations, etc.

I did notice more animations in the NG videos, so that's an improvement. But the overall movement of the players and game, and the choppy transition animations in particular, look almost identical to CG. I honestly feel happy and content now, knowing there's no need whatsoever to even consider rushing out to buy a next-gen system just to play FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Totally agree with this.

Reports are emerging that EA has scooped up certain La Liga stadiums to exclusive deals. I would, for once, like EA to stop relying so much on exclusivity and actually produce good gameplay. and I say this with respect to all their franchises. It seems like their aim is always to stamp out competition as opposed to making a good game - even though they say they are doing the opposite.
As much as it blows for us as consumers, from a business perspective you can't really blame EA for what they're doing. Why spend money on a year-by-year basis to produce a product good enough to compete with your opposition (that's also not guaranteed to give you the greater market share) when you can invest heavily on the front-end in the form of the licenses, and squeeze your competition out entirely? Look at what they have now with the Madden franchise: a product that you release yearly, with a massive consumer base that will buy yearly, and no competition so you can spend less, not having to worry about making your product stand out. I reiterate, it absolutely sucks for those of us who want better but their profit margin couldn't care less.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

Quote:
I don't buy or trust the hype. The above article says "More believable behavior from its players." What does that mean in EA's world? If they meant an emphasis on simulation realism, FIFA CG would have that already. EA designs their games and game features for a very particular target group, so I would guess "believable behavior" has more to do with player-specific animations and celebrations, etc.

I did notice more animations in the NG videos, so that's an improvement. But the overall movement of the players and game, and the choppy transition animations in particular, look almost identical to CG. I honestly feel happy and content now, knowing there's no need whatsoever to even consider rushing out to buy a next-gen system just to play FIFA.
That's exactly why I said "If". I don't buy into the EA hype machine either, I just feel that the modding community would be better off with the added tech of the new engine than without it.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
I just feel that the modding community would be better off with the added tech of the new engine than without it.
Sure, always. But here we are, looking at a choice between spending 40 bucks for the CG version of FIFA, versus a $500 investment for a NG version of essentially the identical game, just with better visuals. Considering that, I'll be happy with the CG PC version for this year anyway.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

Quote:
Sure, always. But here we are, looking at a choice between spending 40 bucks for the CG version of FIFA, versus a $500 investment for a NG version of essentially the identical game, just with better visuals. Considering that, I'll be happy with the CG PC version for this year anyway.
Yeah, no use crying for the moon. Sigh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Yeah, no use crying for the moon. Sigh.
Well it's probably easier for me because I'm practical and frugal. Saving myself $500 and knowing I won't be missing out on much is good stuff.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-29-2013 at 12:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »