Home

NHL 14 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Review (360/PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 14 Review (360/PS3)

The biggest challenge facing NHL 14 is co-existing in the same release window as several other big sports franchises which will be debuting on the new console hardware. The team at EA Vancouver told me that they felt this allowed them to focus on gameplay balance while watching how other dev teams discover the idiosyncrasies of the new hardware. As I've written before, there are also business realities to why this is the case for the NHL franchise, but either way, this current-gen version of NHL is the only way to experience a dedicated hockey product this season.

The good news is that this approach has paid off in terms of NHL 14's gameplay, as it's arguably the most satisfying and playable version of the game in several years. While the new modes offered do feel a bit thin, the gameplay has benefited greatly from some added physicality, better skating, improved goal variety and a whole host of tweaks and changes.

Read More - NHL 14 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
Any deals on this game? I'd like to pick it up, but with GTA coming out next week, I don't think I need to spend $60 on it.

I am really enjoying the season ticket release. Haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 10
Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
Any deals on this game? I'd like to pick it up, but with GTA coming out next week, I don't think I need to spend $60 on it.

I am really enjoying the season ticket release. Haven't bought an NHL game since NHL 10
I'd say wait about 4 to 6 weeks and the price will either drop or there will be sales for $39.99.

The gameplay does feel great this year.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 14 Review (360/PS3)

i mean, this game is more of the same. smoothed out skating from NHL 13 is a huge plus, but everything else? i honestly dont see what brings the casual gamer to this game anymore. very small changes year to year.

just dont get it.

i love the NHL and this series, but its so far away from being the "most realistic" game they promote it to be.

this has a lot of great base elements to make this a very solid simulation type game, but to them, its just not "fun"! that says all ya need to know about their actual passion for hockey. these guys are passionate casual hockey fans making an NHL game and it shows. thats a good thing, but not for the normal or die hard fans.

with that said, nice write up, enjoyed reading it.

but IMO, NHL 14: 6.5 (below average)
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Rookie

Bleak5170's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I'd say wait about 4 to 6 weeks and the price will either drop or there will be sales for $39.99.

The gameplay does feel great this year.
Where do you live? Here in Canada the NHL games don't go down in price until a couple of months before the next version comes out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
NHL is always solid but, as a casual gamer of hockey I can't pay $60 for this either. I am still working on NHL 12 next year with the new system I will upgrade
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Good review. Pretty much how I feel about it. The visuals, audio, and half baked modes need a total overhaul come next gen. Now that the gameplay has been refined I hope NHL15 is redefined with a whole new presentation.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Rookie

SteelersFan09's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak5170
Where do you live? Here in Canada the NHL games don't go down in price until a couple of months before the next version comes out.
Black Friday sales(Day after Thanksgiving) NHL as well as many other games that come out around the same time sale for about 40 dollars at sotres like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and so on. As well even Gamestop does a buy 2 get 1 free on Black Friday and the next 2 days after.

Canada could be different as the game is so popular up there there is no reason to put it on sale. Here in the US the same might not be able to be said.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »