Home

PES 2014 Demo Available Now For 360, PS3 - Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on PES 2014 Demo Available Now For 360, PS3 - Post Your Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: PES 2014 Demo Available Now For 360, Later For PS3 - Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawstun
Haven't gotten home to download the demo yet, but that sounds disappointing, those GK problems weren't existent in the demo videos.
on the demo stream the keepers look pretty well balanced to me..... I haven't seen any stupid keeper glitches yet when I have been watching.

Quote:
In FIFA 14 you have to hold LT/L2 to shield the ball, in PES they do it naturally and it feels way better.
that is good to hear.. the player contact when shielding looks really cool to me

Last edited by steveeee; 09-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #26

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

After a handful of matches, the bad stuff begins to creep to the surface.

The CPU is in hyper speed. Buildup is way way way too fast. Way too direct with the passing, to the point of it being ridiculous. It's like Konami looked at FIFA 13 and said, "yeah, that's what I want."

I've been playing strictly on Top Player difficulty. The last match I played as Colo Colo against Spain. All Spain did was counter attack. I had 63% possession, and it's not like I was playing conservatively.

Also, through balls are worse than ever. Disappointing.

Edit: oh, and the CPU does not foul AT ALL.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
After a handful of matches, the bad stuff begins to creep to the surface.

The CPU is in hyper speed. Buildup is way way way too fast. Way too direct with the passing, to the point of it being ridiculous. It's like Konami looked at FIFA 13 and said, "yeah, that's what I want."

I've been playing strictly on Top Player difficulty. The last match I played as Colo Colo against Spain. All Spain did was counter attack. I had 63% possession, and it's not like I was playing conservatively.

Also, through balls are worse than ever. Disappointing.

Edit: oh, and the CPU does not foul AT ALL.
Interesting, I have been hearing a lot of mixed impressions I just got to play and see for myself since I have seen other wise on live feeds and demos. PS3 demo is up right now so I will see how everything is.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
It seems as if you haven't played the demo, and instead are just saying things that were wrong with past PES games.

I've played the leaked demo, and if you up the difficulty, the AI will have more possession than you. Also, their attack is consistently changing, unlike past years. They'll hold possession, but will hit you on a counter if you leave them a chance. They'll work it into the box, or hit you with crosses.

I disliked 2013, but from the time I put in with what I'm sure is a lesser demo in the leaked one, it's fairly obvious to me that many of the legacy issues you mention are either dead or barely existent.

As for the physics, I'll take the stiff and more realistic approach of PES any day over the unrealistic motion of the competition.
It seems you are wrong. I did play the demo -- more than once. But I only used default skill.

And this is an impressions thread, Tex. Your opinion is not a fact. Neither is mine.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
After one match ... wow, this has some serious potential. It's going to take a while to figure out the best way to use the controls, particularly on defense, but this could be really really good.

For the people talking about player movement being stiff, I don't see it. If anything, I'm thinking about turning the speed down a notch. Things were moving really fast.

One of the things I notice the most is the fact that the ball is no longer stuck to the players feet like glue. It feels like a separate entity. Also, the shifts in movements and speeds. It looks amazing. And, just like every year, the players models will look crisper and more defined in the final version.

edit: i lost the possession battle in my first match, for what it's worth.
I definitely think the players have weight as opposed to being stiff. The fact that you can't spin them or stop on a dime is great. You can still trick opponents, but it's a much more slower and deliberate movement.

Once again when it comes to possession, if people don't think the AI can win that battle from time to time they need to up the difficulty or they're just a better player than most of the community ever will be.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #30
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
For the people talking about player movement being stiff, I don't see it. If anything, I'm thinking about turning the speed down a notch. Things were moving really fast.
I'm not talking about game speed. I'm talking about the physics of the players and their relationship to the ball. The First Touch feature in FIFA blows away any attempt at a similar relationship between the players and the ball in PES.

I played PES for years over FIFA when Konami was the best soccer developer in town. But EA has closed the gap -- and taken the lead in many areas -- with FIFA.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #31
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
It seems you are wrong. I did play the demo -- more than once. But I only used default skill.

And this is an impressions thread, Tex. Your opinion is not a fact. Neither is mine.
Before stating a game has the same legacy issues it's had in the past, you don't think it would be a good idea to raise the difficulty? As it's something that has historically helped make the AI play a little more realistic in past games.

My opinion is not a fact, but when an opinion is stated that goes against what the majority of the community has concluded (AI hold possession much better than past years), I'm not going to ignore it and chalk it up to a differing opinion. Instead, I'll consider it an opinion that was decided before giving the game a proper chance, even if it had been played.

Raise the difficulty and let me know how the possession battle goes, Tex.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: PES 2014 Demo Available Now For 360, PS3 - Post Your Impressions

After playing for a little over an hour on superstar....

Yes, certain players do feel stiff and its very difficult to control them in certain situations which makes it difficult to retain possession when being pressed. Although I though this was annoying at first, it really became fantastic after a while. With certain players, you simply cannot hold onto the ball for long which forces the user to know what they want to do with the ball before it arrives. The first touch is crucial considering it positions the players for the next move. If the first touch isn't the correct one for the pass or dribble you want to make, good luck because turning back is near impossible unless you have a ton of space.

The aerial passes are great. However, some of the ground passes even on zero assistance goes to players which are not my intended target and sometimes not even in the correct direction.

On the highest difficult vs teams that attack, it is quite difficult to maintain possession in their half. I ended up playing as Italy and just sitting back most of the time playing long balls to Balo. Even with Munich, it was very difficult to pass the ball around. This is a great because in past versions it was too easy to bypass the CPU midfield. The learning curve is much higher now. The CPU played offense coherently while I really had no idea where to go with the ball most of the time.

As a result of the above, there are times where I win the possession battle and there are sometimes I don't. Played as Bayern vs Man United where Man U were zipping the ball around and despite chasing for it they kept hold of it quite well. They ended up with over 60% possession. There was another time where I played against Italy as Germany where they just bossed the game controlling possession and territory. There was another game where I played as Italy vs Germany where I purposely tried to keep possession. Unfortunately, Germany was set up to press high up the field and continuously where able to steal the ball causing quick attacks. They lost the possession battle by out shot me by a lot. Then there are times where the CPU allowed me to pass neatly out of the back, but it was near impossible to beat their mid as they were all sitting near the halfway line. Thus, each game felt different.

The computer never really fouls.

The goalies at times don't react at all.

As far as the graphics, they seem inconsistent. Sometimes the game looks brilliant, but at times looks poor. The faces are hit or miss. The animations are awesome though.

The game is absolutely not perfect, but has tremendous potential.

Last edited by spartansocc12; 09-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »