Home

WWE 2K14 Universe Mode Detailed

This is a discussion on WWE 2K14 Universe Mode Detailed within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
WWE 2K14 Universe Mode Detailed

2K Sports conducted a stream this afternoon detailing what's new in Universe Mode in WWE 2K14. Universe mode allows you to set up WWE shows by playing as the GM with your own matches, storylines, and PPV event cards.

Some of the new additions this year:
  • New this year are custom rivalries, which will allow you to set up your own feuds throughout the course of the mode. The rivalry manager allows you to have short or long rivalries, and they can begin and end and different times.
  • Improved menus which will have news, rankings and statistics within your own personal Universe.
  • The game will also set up rivalries by itself if you choose not to use the manager.
  • You can now manager wrestler attires within the mode. You can customize the look of each wrestler as you move through the mode.
  • Other customization options include the ability to edit the rosters of each show, edit the tag teams, titles, and the storylines.
  • You can now set up an actual King of the Ring PPV in Universe Mode complete with the tournament along with other matches within the card. This is accomplished via the PPV editor, which also gives you the option to select a 'No Man's Land" PPV theme, which features a PPV built around different cage matches.
  • Winning King of the Ring will result in a Superstar carrying the title of King of the Ring for the rest of the year.
  • You can set up a Divas Themed PPV now with Diva Titles being able to be named a major title.
If you want to watch the full stream, you can do so at this link.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360

Last edited by RaychelSnr; 09-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: WWE 2K14 Universe Mode Detailed

A lot of things I liked.

-Rivalry Manager with a few different length options (***This is a borderline mode-changer, great stuff here***)
-Can set default attires or randomize attires (Cena had like 9 options lol). It looks like the team did a ton of work with different attires for this game and most characters should have many to choose from
-KOTR PPV theme
-The new menu designs and stuff are great and sharp looking
-Can change each show's match card length (I think I heard 3, 5 and 7)

And the biggest plus of them all (for me), GAMEPLAY LOOKED GREAT! They showed around 4 matches and maybe only one was dominated by the user. The best part about that is the matches were all played on NORMAL difficulty. I saw the AI being aggressive (it was still stagnant a few times, but most of the time it was aggressive), there was a kickout at the last second by the CPU, the CPU used their finishers when they had them and there were no obnoxious attempts to break the damn announcers table for no reason.

Of course the AI isn't perfect, but it looks much better than last year.

Overall I think this livestream was a huge success, and that's putting it lightly.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
I like the possibilities but unless the AI logic can be edited then I'm not getting it. The AI in Firepro Wrestling and Here Comes the Pain are perfect! Yukes have dropped the ball for years! bring back Aki please!!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
2014 Dodgeball Champion.

almostbobsaget's Arena

OVR: 2

Some notes I took during it:

-Special Referee outfits "might" be back...HBK had one in the HHH/Taker match.

• Rivalry Manager is part of Universe mode
    • Can set rivalries and adjust the length (long/short/medium?)
    • Can play rivalries from the rivalry screen.
    • Can view past 25 rivalries from rivalry screen.
    • Rivalries will generate cutscenes before/during/after matches.
    • Rivalries should generate automatically, too. Mentioned it AI should be "smart about it, too"
  • WWE.com is part of the menu
    • Rivalry news
    • WWE Rankings
    • Superstar news
    • Has indicator that shows the amount of news headlines on main Universe Mode menu.
    • Can look at current rivalry recaps in WWE.com menu, including matches and moments.
  • Control over attires in Universe Mode
    • Can set default attires
    • Attires are set in the same area of customizing crowd reaction and attributes.
    • Can randomize the attires that will generate.
Random Tidbits:
-All music plays during all modes (unlike last year where Attitude era music did not play in anything but the Attitude Era mode).
-New animations for ladder match championship wins...looks alot better than last year's animation.
-During attires segment, it appears that many superstars have many alternate attires...they alluded to Cena having a crazy amount of attires. That leads me to believe each WM attire will be part of the character attires.
-WWE Retro might be a faction for some past superstars. "Legend" and "WWE Retro" showed up during edit superstar section...it might be user generated, though.

My video cut out at about the 30 minute mark. I'll update this when it decides to cooperate.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadojoker
I like the possibilities but unless the AI logic can be edited then I'm not getting it. The AI in Firepro Wrestling and Here Comes the Pain are perfect! Yukes have dropped the ball for years! bring back Aki please!!
Yeah, AKI no longer exists, they became syn Sophia. If you would like to check out their latest game offering - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_Savvy:_Trendsetters

Something tells me they would bring nothing to the table.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

As long as the 2 counts work I will be happy that ruined the game last year. Also very excited to be able to create my own feuds that was a bummer last year because you couldn't create the real life story lines.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadojoker

how do you edit AI logic? re-code the game yourself?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
how do you edit AI logic? re-code the game yourself?
You can edit the AI in Firepro Wrestling and its a very elaborate system , that you can change almost everything how CPU controlled wrestler acts and wrestles in the ring.In the current wrestling game WWE 13 they all share the same AI logic, the only thing different is the movesets.Being able to control how a wrestler wrestles in the ring would be the best thing for this franchise in my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »