Home

Madden NFL 25: Next-Gen Gameplay Completely Revamped Under the Hood

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25: Next-Gen Gameplay Completely Revamped Under the Hood within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 25: Next-Gen Gameplay Completely Revamped Under the Hood

That was a hearty trailer. Definitely worth the wait. That DL/OL interaction was great. Obviously we'll have to see how much we notice that when we're going full speed with a pulled back camera, but that was encouraging for me.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0

Is the ball carrying arm gonna move? If this one thing isn't fixed it doesn't matter what they do to "upgrade" running animations, the runners will still look like they are scurrying around with a dump in their pants.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Rookie

thesubmittedone's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 25 Blogs - War in Trenches, Pass Rush/Blocking, Sense, TrueStep Locomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Watched that play about 20 times. Everyone watch that video.

You have D lineman running sideways ignoring better paths to the quarterback so they can seemingly engage with the blockers the way the game wants them to, the way they animate and the angles they take are just poor.

Also watch 23 on the left of the screen, he too has a path to the QB, gets a tiny bump from someone and instead of bursting through the hole to the QB he runs into the O lineman who then falls flat on his face.

Watch the 2 D lineman who run sideways to the right of the screen, 94 should have ripped right past the center instead of running over to engage the guard.

I don't like the way that play looks AT ALL, if there is one plus, it almost looks like a pocket kind of forms, but watch it a bunch of times like I did and tell me if I'm wrong.
I agree.

After watching the videos numerous times, the two biggest issues I have are:
1) The angles the defensive linemen take and how the Olinemen simply "slide" right in front of them no matter what kind of angle the defensive linemen had on them. For example, if the center comes off the ball and takes a step to the right, and a DT is crashing to his left, the DT should have much more leverage than any of these videos are showing when the Center goes back to his left engage him. Instead, the Center simply slides back with little foot movement and engages the DT perfectly. It's ridiculous. All these new animations and they can't get any to show the battle of leverage decently?

2) Defense's animations in general. I know they're saying they've put in a ton of new animations for the defense, but it sounds like their shtick every year. I'm not seeing it. The defense looks almost exactly the same outside some of the new pass rush moves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely pleased we're getting updated Oline/Dline interaction. It's much needed. But if that's the improvement from current gen to next gen, that's still a massive disappointment. These videos have also proved once again that their E3 videos are simply unattainable by this team and they need to stop bull****ting us. I know, they didn't say that's in-game footage, but we all know they implied that we'd be getting something like it.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The DL has a stunt called and the linemen are crashing outwards -- this isn't that worrisome when it's in that context.

23 got caught up in traffic and the two DL were stunting. That's literally how that play should play out. He wasn't running to engage the guard but doing what he should, guy even says it in the video. My only complaint is that the DT seems to potentially go too wide on the stunt, but had he ripped inside as you suggest, the guard might've picked him up there as well.
Yeah but it still seems "kinda" scripted in the following sense. If 23 runs smooth to hit the B gap, then that Guard that engages the DT should be in no possible position to pick him up. But what they do is have the Center waiting for the pass off and make 23 do a lot of wasted movement so the Guard can pass the DT to the waiting C and so the G can pick up 23.

Also shouldn't the player A.I have 23 finding the gap rather than running into his man?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The DL has a stunt called and the linemen are crashing outwards -- this isn't that worrisome when it's in that context.

23 got caught up in traffic and the two DL were stunting. That's literally how that play should play out. He wasn't running to engage the guard but doing what he should, guy even says it in the video. My only complaint is that the DT seems to potentially go too wide on the stunt, but had he ripped inside as you suggest, the guard might've picked him up there as well.
23 got a little bump that really shouldn't have bothered him from his prime directive, the QB, no reason for him not to turn upfield and avoid the O-Lineman who was already engaged. It seems like 23 is chipping the O-lineman when in reality if anything the O Lineman might have disengaged his block and chipped 23 as he had a head of steam and a path to the QB, instead 23 turns into the O-lineman and knocks him down instead of going for the sack.

As for the stunt, that was the widest stunt I've ever seen and 94 and 91 didn't stunt with anyone they both ran laterally to the line of scrimmage, watch it again.

That being said I just saw the other trenches videos and they look better than that one. It looks OK when they just engage the guy in front of them, perhaps it's just a problem with the stunts? The other vids looked ok with a pocket forming but that one, I contend still looks bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Watched that play about 20 times. Everyone watch that video.

You have D lineman running sideways ignoring better paths to the quarterback so they can seemingly engage with the blockers the way the game wants them to, the way they animate and the angles they take are just poor.

Also watch 23 on the left of the screen, he too has a path to the QB, gets a tiny bump from someone and instead of bursting through the hole to the QB he runs into the O lineman who then falls flat on his face.

Watch the 2 D lineman who run sideways to the right of the screen, 94 should have ripped right past the center instead of running over to engage the guard.

I don't like the way that play looks AT ALL, if there is one plus, it almost looks like a pocket kind of forms, but watch it a bunch of times like I did and tell me if I'm wrong.
They're running a Stunt (the guy even says it in the video), that's why the 2 DL on the right take that approach (they're following the play call).

I don't understand your complaint about the nickelback, he got bumped and thus his path was thrown off, you don't just get bumped off your path and accelerate immediately (physics). The offensive lineman falling down is a bit troublesome. He goes down for a cut block but because of the collision with the nickelback I can't figure out if it was the collision that caused that to happen or if the plan was to engage him then cut him and the nickelback just made the animation look awkward.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
23 got a little bump that really shouldn't have bothered him from his prime directive, the QB, no reason for him not to turn upfield and avoid the O-Lineman who was already engaged. It seems like 23 is chipping the O-lineman when in reality if anything the O Lineman might have disengaged his block and chipped 23 as he had a head of steam and a path to the QB, instead 23 turns into the O-lineman and knocks him down instead of going for the sack.

As for the stunt, that was the widest stunt I've ever seen and 94 and 91 didn't stunt with anyone they both ran laterally to the line of scrimmage, watch it again.

That being said I just saw the other trenches videos and they look better than that one. It looks OK when they just engage the guy in front of them, perhaps it's just a problem with the stunts? The other vids looked ok with a pocket forming but that one, I contend still looks bad.
It's amazing that we still have to be sold on this. 2k had all of this working in 2007, along with proper bracket coverages, proper fronts, delayed blitzes and blitz angles. Why is this so hard?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
They're running a Stunt (the guy even says it in the video), that's why the 2 DL on the right take that approach (they're following the play call).

I don't understand your complaint about the nickelback, he got bumped and thus his path was thrown off, you don't just get bumped off your path and accelerate immediately (physics). The offensive lineman falling down is a bit troublesome. He goes down for a cut block but because of the collision with the nickelback I can't figure out if it was the collision that caused that to happen or if the plan was to engage him then cut him and the nickelback just made the animation look awkward.
I'm talking about the 2 lineman on the right of the screen, not the lineman on the right side of the line. They both run sideways taking the widest route in NFL history to the QB.

As for the physics on 23, he got bumped, he made a turn to hit the O lineman, he just as easily could have made a turn towards the QB instead, like he should have. So he did turn, just not the way that would have been proper. What I'm saying it wasn't proper physics that had him colliding with the O-Lineman.

These are world class digital athletes with 50 times the calculations available to them, I expect 23 to go for the QB next time or I'll cut his digital salary!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »