Home

WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3) within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

When 2K Sports took over the WWE license from THQ, I think most users were cautiously optimistic that a breath of fresh air would help take the franchise to the next level. WWE '13 was undoubtedly a great step forward for the series, as the gameplay and crowd reaction had started to resemble something approximating actual “sports entertainment,” and the introduction of the Attitude Era mode was a compelling nostalgia itch that helped repackage your memories of a cool time in WWE history into something worthwhile.

The reality is that WWE 2K14 likely had a compressed development schedule, and for the most part, 2K has just done what it needed to do to push the cart forward for one more year. This isn't to say that there aren't some solid changes to the gameplay — and this year's 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode is a fun time, to be sure — but much of what you'll get here is quite familiar if you played WWE '13.

Read More - WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Nice Review.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Rookie

WhiteMan22's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

Weird, because I think that the gameplay flow is better than ever. One of the main reason why this game is amazing.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
I find this game to be very much improved from last year. The AI is far better, as you actually see CPU opponents use their signature and finisher moves appropriately, and they aren't running outside the ring every single match to take the announce table apart. Also, as mentioned in the review, the reversals are harder because of the faster strikes, and the CPU does a better job than last year of mixing up the timing, so they can really string together some good offense if you aren't completely focused.

I haven't really delved beyond the 30 years of WM mode at this point, as I'm really enjoying the nostalgia, and also I want to unlock everything, but just based off of the 12 or 13 matches I've played, I am very pleased. I can't wait to get home and play that Razor Ramon/HBK ladder match again. Lost a nail biter this morning!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Ev'year I rent this game and ev'year I return it after 3-5 days w/out looking back. So I don't have the "burnout" on the series (or many of its attributes, such as the commentary) that the reviewer seems to have. 14 was the first year I rented that I decided I want to buy the game. Sometimes you have to have 2 perspectives on a review - one from the "legacy" player and one from the perspective of the new player. A player who comes into this game w/out having suffered burnout on the series will rate it higher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

Not sure how scoring the bug-filled WWE '13 as a better game than WWE 2K14 is justified. '13 received an 8.0 from this website, notwithstanding there were features of that game that flat-out did not work as advertised (looking at you, Universe mode and Community Creations servers). In addition, there was notorious two-count bug which removed all drama from user-vs-AI or AI-vs-AI matches; with drama being arguably the most important component of professional wrestling, these two things in tandem absolutely ruined last year's game for me, notwithstanding how great Attitude Era mode was (and I agree that AE tops 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode on account of cohesiveness of the package).

If there's anything at all about this game to like, it's far more polished than any Yuke's wrestling game to-date, and that alone makes it much better than last year's game for me.

Ultimately this is just a difference of opinion between the reviewer and I, however. I'm enjoying the game, that's all that really matters for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: inkcil and CM Hooe

I agree. I'm not a complete legacy player of WWE games (even though I've played many of them), but I reviewed this year's game on how it stands as a wrestling product that is meant to entertain a wide audience (as started by last year's foray into nostalgia).

I didn't review last year's game, but I think an 8 is a fair score for what it was. I agree that there are improvements to this year's game, as I pointed out (Universe Mode, slight gameplay tweaks), but for me, the online play is still a major drag, the nostalgia mode this year isn't as compelling, and the presentation isn't where it needs to be for a sports entertainment product.

A 7.5 is still a good score. I'm glad you're both enjoying the game, as there is still lots of good stuff on offer.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Sooo SummerSlam mode next year? Or go big and have Summer Slam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Moments to play out?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »