Home

FIFA 14: IGN Reviews Next-Gen Version

This is a discussion on FIFA 14: IGN Reviews Next-Gen Version within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17
FIFA 14: IGN Reviews Next-Gen Version

IGN checks in today with a review of the next-gen version of FIFA Soccer 14, giving it a 9.1. In the review, the improved animations and graphics, self aware players, enhanced atmosphere, and better gameplay are cited as huge positives for the game.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One

Last edited by Cpre5; 11-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
ERA
MVP

ERA's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: FIFA 14 PS4 9.1 IGN

I vouch for them, I played it at the Sony Kiosk at my local Best Buy and it was amazing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

Chelsea FC
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

+Vastly improved animation
+Self-aware players
+Enhanced atmosphere
+Great variety

– Not a huge leap forward

Those kind of contradict each other.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

The score is what it is (it's IGN) but I honestly recommend watching the video review on their site if you have the time. It's actually one of the more honest opinions I've heard from IGN in a while; the reviewer tells it like it is despite his high praise of a series with its own fair share of drawbacks.

I'm pretty much treating it as a "GOTY" version of FIFA 14 PC. Basically the same game we're used to with a variety of small new tweaks that help enhance the experience.

If you're used to FIFA you're pretty much going to pick up right where you left off. If you hate FIFA you're likely going to hate next-gen 14. If you love the game, haven't played in years or are generally desperate for a next-gen sports title, you could do a lot worse than pick up 14.

As someone who either rents or purchases FIFA every year, my expectations are tempered but I'm sure I'll put it through its paces starting Friday and into next year.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

I think that FIFA is the game that can benefit the most from Self Aware players. This has always been the weakest part of FIFA. When a ball rolls two feet from a cpu controller defender on the user team they just watch the ball. The same goes when a cpu team is breaking the ball and the back line just keeps dropping deeper and deeper and not stopping the ball and marking up.

If this is corrected then honestly this year's FIFA would deserve a 9.5.

I haven't had a chance to play next gen yet but this is the only think lacking on PC for me. Graphically the game looks infinitely better on pc than ps3 so just dressing the game up is not enough on ps4. The additional animations, real time presentation, additional camera angles and flowing shirts do make the game look much more realistic and fluid and are nice to have, but cpu controller players on the user team have to get better. Hopefully this added self awareness brings that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Rookie

Escobeats's Arena

OVR: 0
Looks decent ... Still going to pick PES over FIFA tho. Just perfer the build-up and slow paced play over the much faster style
Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 14: IGN Reviews Next-Gen Version

I don't know about saying it's the same gameplay but better graphics. I didn't like FIFA 13/14 on PS3, and ended up trading them in very shortly. The game feels different to me, and I've scored many different types of goals in my career I have going on, I just don't know what to expect.

On my Napoli career I've seen my team struggle with their form against teams such as Atlanta, and then our first game in the Champions League against Man U we won 3-0 as I felt the whole team stepped up, passes weren't sloppy, players were more aggressive, etc. I have noticed a difference between my bench and starters. When I don't have Gonzalo Higuain in the lineup, I don't have the same attacking power, and struggle to get shots on goal, let alone score.

I've said it before, but the defense has gotten much better. I see the CPU AI on defense being much smarter. I did a slight move with my player to get around the defender and beat him, he regained himself (Not sure who I was in control of but he wasn't the fastest) I could see the cpu ai defender hustle back asap, as he came beside me shoulder to shoulder and did a slide tackle taking the ball from me as my player stumbled and kicked it out of their defensive end. I don't remember seeing this type of thing on last gen.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Drive for 5

Lonestar210's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
I think that FIFA is the game that can benefit the most from Self Aware players. This has always been the weakest part of FIFA. When a ball rolls two feet from a cpu controller defender on the user team they just watch the ball. The same goes when a cpu team is breaking the ball and the back line just keeps dropping deeper and deeper and not stopping the ball and marking up.

If this is corrected then honestly this year's FIFA would deserve a 9.5.
Yes; I hate on defense when that happens. then when I am forced to switch to my oblivious teammate, it's too late to make an interception and my opponent dribbles on by. I also like how on next-gen more than two players can challenge for a header; it may seem subtle but is very important considering how many challenges are made at a ball lofted into the air. And of course on set pieces such as a free kick when you want to lob the ball into the box. I will probably wait til FIFA 15 to get it on next gen since I don't see myself buying either PS4 or Xbox one anytime soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »