Home

FIFA Soccer 14 Review (XB1/PS4)

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 14 Review (XB1/PS4) within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Just curious, any differences between X1 & PS4
This was more or less a review of the XB1 version, as that's the platform it was reviewed on.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: FIFA Soccer 14 Review (XB1/PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
This was more or less a review of the XB1 version, as that's the platform it was reviewed on.
Just trying to figure out which version I'm picking up

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Just trying to figure out which version I'm picking up
Yeah, I haven't heard of any crazy differences between the two, and both would run at 1080p/60fps, so there's probably not much of a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
Yeah, I haven't heard of any crazy differences between the two, and both would run at 1080p/60fps, so there's probably not much of a difference.
Thx man. Picked up the X1 version.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Never been much of a fifa fan but this plays a great game really enjoying it. Got it free with my XB1 might not have bothered otherwise. The shooting is the best I've seen on a football game great feeling when you score. Never bothered with CG and play mainly offline.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Don't believe the reviews, Fifa 14 is TERRIBLE. And that is coming from and avid supporter of the series. After players have the basic concepts down and understand how to job the defensive system, "high pressure" skill has little to do with the outcome of the game. Now when I first started playing it I thought it was amazing, a step up from current gen as I thought 14 was a step up from 13 but after playing it thoroughly online you will understand what I am saying. It is just a spam fest with everyone playing all out pressure and looking for long over the top balls. You score way too infrequently from intelligent control and build up play but score WAY too frequently from full out sprint crosses and corner kicks in which you have little control of the outcome. Most games are won based on luck. I am stating this as a warning. Hold off until there is a patch. The game will seem great for a short bit but then it will dawn on you that what is dictating the outcomes is pure trash. Again I am a huge fan of the series but this game needs a serious patch for online.
Meh... I hate online mode for sports games, whether FIFA or any other. There only one thing: Spam & Cheese... while not a bad meal when the budget is tight, not something I want when playing a sports game. :P
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Pro

Honestly I should retract my statement a bit, saying the game is terrible is harsh. The game has a fantastic base to build from and potentially could easily be the best sports game this year. However I stand by my comment on the cheese and erratic play that the game currently favors. I do feel that it is patchable by limiting the effectiveness of automated defensive pressure when set to 100 and the by limiting the frequency of goals scored from corners and crosses (especially taken when sprinting full speed). The auto defense is supposed to be "contain" defense which in fifa 13, it really was contain, in 14 it is used almost like legacy defense. It would not be as much of a nuisance if the 1-2 give and go was as effective as last year. What happens is the player passes and then stops and takes time to make his sprint. Meanwhile the defensive players just continue to rush whichever ball handler and can catch up to the ball before the player made the sprint. In fifa 13 players were punished continuously with the give and go if they relied to heavily on aggressive contain. This year it is far less punishable meaning players that are playing less skillfully on defense have a distinct advantage because rushing the ball and taking away space is more effective then proper position. "IF" it is fixed the game will be much more fun, tactical, and less cheesy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Pro

Also to add; Your defensive line can continuously get beat by through balls because they play to high and the momentum system stalls there movement from getting back in position in time. This seems great sometimes but can be a huge problem and game killer as you become helpless on defense to the counter attack. I even set my custom tactics to 10 on pressure and customized my formation so that all backs work rate is high defense and low offense to counteract this problem yet I still helplessly get beat by long through balls and the defenders are out of position and can not catch up. Again this leads players towards continuously pressuring to get the steal and sending long through balls. Not very realistic.

I kind of resent the people saying to just stay away from online. Well I am an online ONLY player. In every sports game I play I intend on being one of the top players using realistic tactics. Some games I feel that I get there sometimes I don't, and sometimes I feel that the game does not allow you to become a top player using real life tactics. The games I consider to have the best gameplay are games that allow you to use real tactics and still dominate if the skill level is high enough. Though many think FIFA 13 was a spam fest you could dominate the game using slow build up play and a slower pace. I know this because I won division 1 using that style. In fifa 14 it is currently not possible to take a team like Barcelona and be high class by playing their style of footie. I feel like developers many times develop the game around how they intend on playing it and do not realize how the online community will attempt to exploit. If they do sniff out the online bugs and can patch it without severely altering offline AI then the game will be better for everybody. Lets hope they do and give us the great game instead of the potentially great game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »