Home

Gran Turismo 6 Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 6 Review (PS3) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
Gran Turismo 6 Review (PS3)

Though you may buy it from a place that sells video games, and play it on a machine called a gaming console, I would hesitate to label Gran Turismo 6 as a game.

The word I find more accurately describes this title is simulation. When thought of in the same vein as flight and economic sims, it's a bit easier to overlook some of GT6’s flaws -- even if this is the best entry in the series to date.

Gran Turismo 6 Review (PS3) - Read More
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Rookie

BigBadTom's Arena

OVR: 0
Seems like Polyphony Digital is a good developer, but they lack of finish in the game (not all cars are equal, and the insides are hit or miss) and constant/un-addressed legacy issues such as damage remains untouched. The lack of motivation to flesh out the game is apparent.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
I wish this review went into detail about the a.i.
I read a few reviews for this game and they mention legacy problems with the a.i. in detail.
this review not so much.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Rookie

Best entry to date, but you only give it 7.5? Yeah ok.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Gran Turismo 6 Review (PS3)

I'm enjoying it immensely.... Much better than GT5 with respect to driving model and load times which erked me before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4
My impressions are for offline. The game is a bit rough, like no way to see how weak or powerful the ai's cars are, which leads to some one sided races in your favor. No way to search for cars by it's power, drivetrain, or cars that you can afford. Instead, it's just one giant list, and premium and standard cars are lumped together. You would think a game about collecting cars would have a view to see the cars from the side, but that's not in this game.

The ai is weak, even set to a more 'aggressive' setting. They always stay on the same path as if they're pulled by magnets, which makes it feel more like a cruising game instead of racing. No career mode is like not having a franchise mode in sports games, and the small payout in comparison to the expensive costs of cars is built around annoying grinding and dlc. No penalty for damaging your car or driving through grass.

I traded in a few games towards this, and I'm pretty disappointed so far. It's not bad, but there isn't enough difference between GT5 and GT6 to justify a $65 purchase. I agree with the reviewer's score.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
I waited a week until I posted impressions...I rate the game at a 7. I think Milestone Racing (WRC 3 & 4, Moto GP 13, etc.) does a better job of merging simulation driving with an interesting career mode and racing that is more fun than it is sterile.

The racing in GT6 is terrible offline. Always a rolling start with you starting in last place, no qualifying, no rivals, no feeling of life. Just robotic and bland as a racer. Always a "rabbit" car placed by the CPU in the front of the car for you to catch. AI drivers do not "race" on another.

The driving is excellent. A great game for doing countless time/drift trials and for testing new and exotic cars. Just a great wealth of cars. I avoid most standard cars and duplicate Nissans like the plague. More than enough individual premium cars to enjoy, IMO. The Jay Leno cars are just amazing to drive. Not to race, to drive.

I like the lunar missions and coffee break stuff...but not because they are great ideas, but because we needed something, ANYTHING to break up the MONOTONY of the "career" mode.

Lack of customization, poor car sounds and poor damage modeling. These all would have made the game much more fun. But they're not there. Poor and predictable AI, outdated career mode that really isn't a career mode. No life or atmosphere. No racing rivals. Tons of recycled cars and tracks. Minimal visual upgrades from GT5. Poor BGM system. But the feeling of driving different cars is beyond compare. Go figure.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Banned

"Though you may buy it from a place that sells video games, and play it on a machine called a gaming console, I would hesitate to label Gran Turismo 6 as a game.

"The word I find more accurately describes this title is simulation. When thought of in the same vein as flight and economic sims, it's a bit easier to overlook some of GT6’s flaws -- even if this is the best entry in the series to date."

I love the huge pass Sony gets for making a boring as heck game. You just choose to think that's the point. Well done!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »