Home

Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB?

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Banned

champious23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB?

He's going to be fun to watch against the bengals, raven and steelers. he is flutie 2.0 and he'll have a more slitly better career than flutie.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
All Star

Jasong7777's Arena

OVR: 24

He'll likely end up in Cleveland meaning he will fail. He'll end up in some sort of rehab and be out of football in 5 years.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmehustle
Lol! This happens every couple of years. Will such and such be successful in the NFL. Smh I wish that people actually kept up with these claims. Let me go down a list of successful recent college QBs who people said would be good in the NFL. Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Colt Mccoy, Colin Klein, Sam Bradford, Dennis Dixon, Jason White, Troy Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Eric Crouch, Pat White, Colt Brennan, Chris Weinke, etc. Idk if Manziel will even be around 5 years from now in football, Im doubting it right now but hey we'll see. But Im pretty sure everyone who comments that he will dominate the NFL probably said the same thing about 75% of that list. So I am sure that you guys have no clue what your talking about. Ill listen to what Greg Cosell has to say.
1st off, whoever told you Colin Klein would make a good pro knew nothing about football. But on to johnny, I dont think he'll have an immediate impact as a Russell Wilson. But Manziel has a strong and accurate arm that many people dont credit him for. Does he have a better arm than Bridgewater? No. But he has a good enough arm for a mid to late 1st round pick. Yes he had NFL talent on his team (2 OL and WR), but Texas A&M's defense was horrible if not the worst in CFB. I give the guy credit for carrying his team by having to score 40+ just to avoid getting blown out. His worst game came against LSU, that game was probably the closest he came to facing an NFL defense. But the guy beat Alabama last year, and looked impressive this year against Bama again. As we all know Alabama has had a pretty impressive defense the past few years with a lot of NFL talent. But I think he can be a decent pro if he ends up on the right team with good O-linemen. He potentially could translate his game to a 6ft1-2 Colin Kaepernick only if he ends on the right team.

Last edited by NowAndLaterCARZ; 01-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Lastly, JM said he will not change who he is for anyone (that includes on the field as well as off the field).
We've seen what happens to QB's that love to party (J. Plummer, R. Leaf to name a few).
It's the one NFL position were you have to make a choice because it's proven you can't do both.

We will see though, it may finally click in his head to take advantage of the opportunity that's set before him.

Jake Plummer????
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
MVP

AntiBandwagoner's Arena

OVR: 6

IMO, no, he will not be a fantastic QB in the pros by any stretch of imagination. He's had a great college career but his NFL future has a Tim Tebow-esque gloom to me.

Minus the personality, that is.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I'd take a flyer on him but I'm not drafting him as high as he'll go to a team desperate for a QB.

elgreazy is right, he's maximum boom or bust. I'm leaning towards bust, because he's going to be counted on to do and be everything and I don't believe he's ready physically or mentally to be the leader he has to be.

If he comes in and makes plays, takes the hits, and has some success it could catapult him. It's such a toss up for me. I think more then ever, it's going to depend on what team he lands on, his supporting cast, his coach, the GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

He had the potential for success. He has the physical tools needed to succeed. He has decent mechanics to work with as well. Decision making is too bad either. The question is he willing to put in the time to study the game, can he be coached on his mechanics, when to run, when not to run, and to make better decisions.

There are also certain types of throws he will need to learn to make more consistently. I'd give Manziel an A potential but I see him struggling. He won't be Luck or Wilson, or Brady. I see him struggling early in his career. Not to the point of being terrible, but going through typical rookie growing pains, if not more than we are accustomed to seeing. It will be in his fourth or fifth year as a starter whether he will take off or sink like a rock.

Manziel gets a longer leash than Tebow because he actually has mechanics to build on. I like Tim, and I root for him, but man, I wish at some point somebody had taught him footwork, or throwing mechanics.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

I think he'll be successful if he doesn't get put in an offense that has alot of read option/designed QB runs. He is too small and will get hurt, limiting his mobility. He is a good enough QB to drop back and throw the ball. He's a great athlete and can scramble to gain his rushing yards. QB scrambles are harder to stop than a read option play. As long as Johnny Manziel learns how to slide, he will be a good QB

Thanks Peyton. #18

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »