Home

The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
ahah wow, it looks sooooooooo bad. It's just impossible for me to imagine that was ever considered fun.
We'd have all-nighters playing the game, it was fun.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Lol your not lying that cartridge use to get real hot and we had to wait for it to cool down WOW!

Also their were no such thing as a patch lol you play it as is...
I was trying to tell my nephews that back in day there were

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC
NO message boards to find out tips ands tricks. You had to either buy a Game Informer or call the cheat code hotline haha

I was also telling them that the game came with manual that you would read ALL THE WAY HOME!

They asked me with a straight face "How is that a realsitic?"

I said well back in day we knew what a videogame was supposed to be! If we wanted to play realistic football WE WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED WITH THE OTHER KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC
NO message boards to find out tips ands tricks. You had to either buy a Game Informer or call the cheat code hotline haha

I was also telling them that the game came with manual that you would read ALL THE WAY HOME!

I said well back in day we knew what a videogame was supposed to be! If we wanted to play realistic football WE WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED WITH THE OTHER KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
Amen brother!!! We took it for what it was a video game not real life....
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC

Did you tell them that when they are 16 or so everything changes when people get jobs and not only have no time to hang out, but also still never have money? College and work screw everything up.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Amen brother!!! We took it for what it was a video game not real life....
I love a good sim sports title, but I feel like in the last 5-8 years people have come to expect maybe (maybe?) a little too much from a video game.

I played football all my life (Pop Warner since I was 5). All the way up until I got cut from a couple practice squads, and no videogame will ever duplicate the experience of being out there with your boys knocking each other up side the head.

That being said, as long as I can come home from work play my Franchise or with my boys, talk a lil trash, have a few beers, Im good.

Maybe I'm wrong or too old but I dont expect a videogame to replicate exactly what I see on Sundays.

I DEFINITELY dont want to start "message board argument" but I do think we might be expecting a bit much from these videogames. Even if they promise us the world with their marketing campaigns, thats business. They've been doing that since early 90's Madden.

Do you guys remember looking at the box art on the back? Then when you popped it in your system being like "This doens't look like the picture." But I dont remember complaining we just got down with it and enjoyed ourself

OK, OK, getting off my soap box now...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Did you tell them that when they are 16 or so everything changes when people get jobs and not only have no time to hang out, but also still never have money? College and work screw everything up.

Ahh Man!!! I literally LOL'd at that one!

Different generation bruh. I dont know what happened!

You also forgot the wife (no kids yets)! I LOVE my wife to death, but she's not going for me playing Madden ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!! It aint happening HAHA. I may get a Saturday every now and then and a couple hours after work but thats it.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
I love a good sim sports title, but I feel like in the last 5-8 years people have come to expect maybe (maybe?) a little too much from a video game.

I played football all my life (Pop Warner since I was 5). All the way up until I got cut from a couple practice squads, and no videogame will ever duplicate the experience of being out there with your boys knocking each other up side the head.

That being said, as long as I can come home from work play my Franchise or with my boys, talk a lil trash, have a few beers, Im good.

Maybe I'm wrong or too old but I dont expect a videogame to replicate exactly what I see on Sundays.

I DEFINITELY dont want to start "message board argument" but I do think we might be expecting a bit much from these videogames. Even if they promise us the world with their marketing campaigns, thats business. They've been doing that since early 90's Madden.

Do you guys remember looking at the box art on the back? Then when you popped it in your system being like "This doens't look like the picture." But I dont remember complaining we just got down with it and enjoyed ourself

OK, OK, getting off my soap box now...
It's a different time for sure. Expectations are higher. Part of it is that the value proposition has changed. Not really a Madden thing, just the way our industry is now.

It's funny you mention the art. What came to mind me was that PS1 era Super Bowl cinematic that would play when you put in the disc. It always looked way better than the graphics of the game. I can remember thinking how I couldn't wait until the game actually looked like that.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACZILLA
It's a different time for sure. Expectations are higher. Part of it is that the value proposition has changed. Not really a Madden thing, just the way our industry is now.

It's funny you mention the art. What came to mind me was that PS1 era Super Bowl cinematic that would play when you put in the disc. It always looked way better than the graphics of the game. I can remember thinking how I couldn't wait until the game actually looked like that.
Yes Sir! It was Green Bay vs. New England I think. Then during the loading screens it was a picture of the kick off?

I want to say that was Madden 98. That year was the year they had the Tiburon Team, EA Sports Team, all the different kinds of fields too. I used to use the Bucs that year cause they had the new uni's and Mike Alstot (sp?) (one of my favorite players of all time!). That was a fun year for Madden.

Now the games actually do look better than that cinematic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »