Home

Sports Daily: A-Rod, PEDs, and What The Future Holds

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: A-Rod, PEDs, and What The Future Holds within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: A-Rod, PEDs, and What The Future Holds

I wholly support the notion that baseball's Hall-of-Fame should serve as a museum that documents the game's history. And, yes, that includes suspected, admitted and proven PED users. Put them in the "Asterisk Room," Hall-of-Shame, or Hall-of-Infamy wings. The 1990's was the era that brought baseball back, but a clear line was drawn that it's drug-use antics weren't allowed going forward -- something Alex Rodriguez hasn't figured out.

Should teams be allowed to take their salary back? I think I know the New York Yankees thoughts on that right about now. Perhaps positive PED tests should result in a one-year suspension for the first offense, followed by a lifetime ban after a second positive test? Or maybe we should just let A-Rod continue to dig a muddy hole for himself, knowing that no player will ever get away with what he did throughout the prime of their money-making and home run hitting career before getting caught.

Does the MLB need harsher penalties for players who test positive for PEDs? Should organizations be allowed to take back salary paid to players who test positive?

Sports Headlines for January 14, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Sports Daily: A-Rod, PEDs, and What The Future Holds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I wholly support the notion that baseball's Hall-of-Fame should serve as a museum that documents the game's history. And, yes, that includes suspected, admitted and proven PED users.
It already does. People who haven't been to Cooperstown always get this confused. The Hall of Fame itself (ie, where the plaques are) is one small wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. The "museum" part (which takes up about 90% of the building) does document the game's history, including suspected, admitted and proven PED users. And Pete Rose. And Shoeless Joe Jackson. When I was there, I saw displays on Rose, Shoeless Joe, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Eddie Gaedel, you name it.

So for all the people out there saying that the Hall of Fame is being whitewashed of its less savoury history, you're wrong. If PED users get in, there's a ceremony in the summer, and a 10-by-16 inch bronze plaque in the HoF wing. That's the only difference. Now if people want to argue that certain players deserve those bronze plaques, go for it. But don't use the argument that Rose, Bonds, Clemens, et al should have their accomplishments detailed in the museum, because they already are. Just not in bronze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Does the MLB need harsher penalties for players who test positive for PEDs?
Is that really the problem? The punishment is fine. The real problem is that it's still relatively easy to beat the testing. A-Rod only got caught by paperwork. He passed a bunch of tests while juicing with flying colours.

Quote:
Should organizations be allowed to take back salary paid to players who test positive?
It can't ever be left up to the ballclubs.

Scenario 1: "Oh, you're young, have a reasonable contract, and are raking at the plate? Hey, everybody makes mistakes. We forgive you."

Scenario 2: "Oh, you're old and have a ridiculous contract (that we gave you) that is pushing us over the salary cap? You're the worst person since Hitler! Give us our money back so we can overpay another player who hopefully never gets caught!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
It already does. People who haven't been to Cooperstown always get this confused. The Hall of Fame itself (ie, where the plaques are) is one small wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. The "museum" part (which takes up about 90% of the building) does document the game's history, including suspected, admitted and proven PED users. And Pete Rose. And Shoeless Joe Jackson. When I was there, I saw displays on Rose, Shoeless Joe, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Eddie Gaedel, you name it.

So for all the people out there saying that the Hall of Fame is being whitewashed of its less savoury history, you're wrong. If PED users get in, there's a ceremony in the summer, and a 10-by-16 inch bronze plaque in the HoF wing. That's the only difference. Now if people want to argue that certain players deserve those bronze plaques, go for it. But don't use the argument that Rose, Bonds, Clemens, et al should have their accomplishments detailed in the museum, because they already are. Just not in bronze.
Did not know that. Interesting.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm one of the very few that doesn't care too much about PED use. I've accepted it as part of the game and realized that no one is perfect. What really bothers me is the fact that people think PED use started in the 90's. Players have been popping pills and shooting up concoctions of drugs for a long long time. Guys like Mantle, Mays and Aaron used amphetamines. Koufax would be high on the mound half the time off of all the pain killers he used to take. Hell Pud Galvin Injected himself with monkey testosterone. The five players I mentioned are all Hall Of Famers. Four of whom are widely known and loved by the fans of the game (Not sure if too many people know who Galvin even is)

Players like Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds were once in a generation talent. Even before they took PED's they were widely regarded as two of the best players in the game. Barry Bonds was a monster during his Pittsburgh and early San Fransisco days. Same goes for Clemens when he pitched for the Sox. I could understand if they were absolute scrubs before they touched the Juice but they were legitimate All Stars.

And it's not like the MLB is clean in this situation either. Selig and the Owners didn't mind looking past the rampant drug use. As long as butts were being put in the seats and the Money kept rolling in they didn't care who was taking what.

Another thing that annoys me to no end is when fans will say "Well I wouldn't want that cheater Barry Bonds on my team". Please if your team had Barry you would have loved the guy from his production alone. He put up possibly the single most dominant stretch of seasons in MLB history.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I'm one of the very few that doesn't care too much about PED use. I've accepted it as part of the game and realized that no one is perfect. What really bothers me is the fact that people think PED use started in the 90's. Players have been popping pills and shooting up concoctions of drugs for a long long time. Guys like Mantle, Mays and Aaron used amphetamines. Koufax would be high on the mound half the time off of all the pain killers he used to take. Hell Pud Galvin Injected himself with monkey testosterone. The five players I mentioned are all Hall Of Famers. Four of whom are widely known and loved by the fans of the game (Not sure if too many people know who Galvin even is)

Players like Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds were once in a generation talent. Even before they took PED's they were widely regarded as two of the best players in the game. Barry Bonds was a monster during his Pittsburgh and early San Fransisco days. Same goes for Clemens when he pitched for the Sox. I could understand if they were absolute scrubs before they touched the Juice but they were legitimate All Stars.

And it's not like the MLB is clean in this situation either. Selig and the Owners didn't mind looking past the rampant drug use. As long as butts were being put in the seats and the Money kept rolling in they didn't care who was taking what.

Another thing that annoys me to no end is when fans will say "Well I wouldn't want that cheater Barry Bonds on my team". Please if your team had Barry you would have loved the guy from his production alone. He put up possibly the single most dominant stretch of seasons in MLB history.
Off-topic and a whole different sport, but that's how I feel about LeBron. I can't stand him, but if he played for the Celtics I would have shirts, jerseys, cards, pictures, everything lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Off-topic and a whole different sport, but that's how I feel about LeBron. I can't stand him, but if he played for the Celtics I would have shirts, jerseys, cards, pictures, everything lol.
Exactly. There have been tons of Athletes across all sports that fit this mold. I get that Barry Bonds was a bit of an *** and he took roids but if He was on the team you liked you would have loved the guy. Especially if he was on a team with a really hardcore fan base like the Sox or The Cubs

Last edited by 24; 01-15-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 32

I wouldn't say I don't care about PED use, but what I truly can't stand is the incessant lying from players who get caught. Especially guys like Braun who are willing to sabotage others to keep their lies and dishonesty going a little longer.

The truth will eventually win out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »