Home

Sports Daily: Enhanced Replay is Here, Your Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Enhanced Replay is Here, Your Thoughts? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #9

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Sports Daily: Enhanced Replay is Here, Your Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
but when you consider how many teams can make the playoffs now, they have watered down the regular season so much,
Again I agree with your other points about replay so don't take offense that I deleted the rest but this is ridiculous.

Baseball has the fewest amount of teams that make the postseason out of any sport and that's after their addition of another team.

I don't like the new playoff format the way it is, but it is FAR from watering it down and in no way does it have anything to do with the replay system brought in so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:

And another thing that is annoying is when video games try to implement a video replay review system in a game that didn't need it before. To implement video replay in a video game they intentionally make the game make incorrect calls to justify a challenge system. Unlike in real life, and video games have the ability to make the correct call every time.
No....games are not implementing imperfect calls or AI in order to justify anything....it's to mimic real life.
Racing games have AI drivers take bad lines and hit turns incorrectly in order to make the game more realistic...not to "justify" crashes.

I understand you're not happy with the video replay in baseball.....but you're stretching it.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Again I agree with your other points about replay so don't take offense that I deleted the rest but this is ridiculous.

Baseball has the fewest amount of teams that make the postseason out of any sport and that's after their addition of another team.

I don't like the new playoff format the way it is, but it is FAR from watering it down and in no way does it have anything to do with the replay system brought in so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.
My point is simply this : baseball has over 10 times as many regular season games as football. A blown call costing a team a game in baseball does not affect the outcome of the regular season to the extent that a blown call costing a team a game in football affects the outcome of the season. It could, but with so many games played, that probability is much less in baseball than other sports, compounded that with the fact that now more teams make the playoffs in baseball than ever.

Baseball does still have the fewest amount of teams that make the postseason of any sport, but barely, and two decades ago only 2 teams from each league make the baseball playoff, and there was no such thing as a wildcard, so looking at it historically it's a lot more teams making the playoffs. If you look the ratio of playoff teams per regular season games played, baseball now has the most. It's generally accepted that there should be more teams in playoff for sports with fewer regular season games played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
No....games are not implementing imperfect calls or AI in order to justify anything....it's to mimic real life.
Racing games have AI drivers take bad lines and hit turns incorrectly in order to make the game more realistic...not to "justify" crashes.

I understand you're not happy with the video replay in baseball.....but you're stretching it.

M.K.
Knight165
You're missing the point: The cool thing about video games is that you don't need a challenge system to "challenge missed calls". Sports video games have the ability to calculate the correct call every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:

You're missing the point: The cool thing about video games is that you don't need a challenge system to "challenge missed calls". Sports video games have the ability to calculate the correct call every time.
Judging by your screen name....you want games to SIMULATE real life sports.
Sports have mistakes made by officials.
Why would you want a sim game to neglect that fact?

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Judging by your screen name....you want games to SIMULATE real life sports.
Sports have mistakes made by officials.
Why would you want a sim game to neglect that fact?
In many great sports video games, there are sometimes missed calls, and many times it works as something to keep the gamer on their toes. That can and has been implemented in some games, and in many games can be very effective. There are also many sports games that get the referee calls right 100% of the time because they were designed that way. Whether or not refs / umps make incorrect calls in video games isn't the basis of what my username "simgamer" is about.

A video game isn't governed by the bottlenecks that exist in real life. Refs making bad calls could be implemented in a game, or there could be an option for the user to control this. Even with video replay reviews in sports, many times video replay just stops the momentum of a game, and calls are still missed throughout the game. I always thought that sports video games could be designed so "fix" the problem of bad calls that exist in real life sports. And it could be up to the developer as to how they choose to design a game. You highlighted an important point though because I think real-life changes to sports have changed some sports video game franchises in a lot of ways.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Rookie

jhendricks316's Arena

OVR: 32
I am happy for this expansion of replay, despite thinking that it's overdue. As a Detroit Tigers fan, this play still gives me chills (and obviously not the good kind). The Brandon Inge non-called HBP in the infamous AL Central Tiebreaker versus the Twins a few years back is another call that may have impacted this team's recent history.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendricks316
I am happy for this expansion of replay, despite thinking that it's overdue. As a Detroit Tigers fan, this play still gives me chills (and obviously not the good kind). The Brandon Inge non-called HBP in the infamous AL Central Tiebreaker versus the Twins a few years back is another call that may have impacted this team's recent history.
Or the Armando Galarraga incident.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Rookie

JFB123's Arena

OVR: 0
I like extended challenges but we don't need to make this like football. Why not add an extra official to call down to the head umpire and say 'hey, you might want to take a second look at this'. Makes more sense to me but I guess I will get use to this system. Way better than not having challenges.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »