Home

Sound Off: Player Personalities and the Teams You Root For

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Player Personalities and the Teams You Root For within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Sound Off: Player Personalities and the Teams You Root For

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
That's a very good point.

I don't remember him boasting about himself ... but I could be wrong on that.
He was very good at having a media/endorsement persona while being a complete ******* in every other aspect of life.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah, I just had a complete brain fart with the Jordan reference. Carry on.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11
I have no problem with his outburst, especially of the earlier Crabtree instigated beef is true. Regardless though, he made a game winning/changing play. They are going to the superbowl and he was excited and hyped up and it happened to be a play where he was covering his arch nemisis... now that I have THAT out of the way. He grew up in Compton. He didnt live a life of a brady-bunch Manning type suburbia. He was around and exposed to things that probably would have had someone like Peyton or Russel Wilson having to see a shrink to cope with. I'm not making an excuse for Sherman, I'm just pointing out the elephant in the room. Yes he went to Stanford and yes he's smart, but there will always be a small part of you about where you came from that stays with out and will come out at times. This was one of them.

Now... do I think Sherman should be upset about how some football fans and media are talking about him and depicting him? Nope, he shouldn't be upset because this how our society is. Is it fair that society is wired this way? You know... Sherman from Compton with his dreads being depicted as some wild animal by some of the press... What Sherman should have realized is that no one though is saying what he did was "OUT of character"... even though he's an articulate well spoken calm person in most interviews. It's like when he did that, some people were thinking "well.. you know.. I'm not suprised.. you know.. thats just how they.. (and I'll stop there). What Sherman did was reinforce some stereotypes and take the spotlight from his teams achievement. He should have taken that Stanford education and understood this. But again, I'm not mad at him for his outburst.. I'm just saying HE shouldn't be mad at some people's reactions. Perception is reality and if anyone should understand this, it's someone who used to attend Stanford. Now could you imagine if he had that same outburst in a city where people didnt recognize him because he was in a conveince store and a hoodie? The clerk might have accidentally shot him as a fearful knee-jerk reaction. Something to ponder.

As far as others wishing he was more like a Peyton or Russell Wilson I have news for you. Everyone is different... and some people need to get over the fact that not every great player, athlete, actor or whatever is going to act the way you'd like them to act. Being great at what you do doesn't mean you have to change who you are. Some people are the opposite of Sherman and great at their position (Manning).. and that's fine.. but it rubs me the wrong way when I hear people upset when every great player doesn't act like you think the should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm good with whatever antics players on the teams I root for as long as they don't cost us games. Want to be PC like Tom Brady? Cool. Want to rush your managers post game press conference to complain about the official scorer not crediting you for an RBI like David Ortiz? Cool with that too. Want to come back mid game in wheelchair like Paul Pierce (this guy )? Cool do you.

My point is as long as they aren't hurting the team or the public who cares. If the organization him or her works far has no issue than who am I to make an issue out of something.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 13
I root for the laundry. If you are wearing the jersey (or sweater, as the case may be) of my teams, I'm rooting for you. Sometimes, I actually like the guy, sometimes not (Desean Jackson comes to mind as a current guy I root for that I don't really like). If I was a Seattle fan, I guess I'd just ignore it (Richard being Richard?). As an objective observer, I think he sounded like an ***. As LowerWolf said above, though, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

I picked the Patriots as my favorite team because they had my favorite player, Randy Moss, but stayed a fan after he left. I don't really mind how players act as long as they don't act like the Seahawks, constantly trash talking and calling out the other team. Really I prefer teams who use the scoreboard as a indicator of how good they are, not smack talk.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #15

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Really I prefer teams who use the scoreboard as a indicator of how good they are, not smack talk.
Well the Seahawks have done a pretty good job of doing that then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 11
One more thing... he's no dummy, outburst aside the first thing that came out of his mouth was "I'm the best corner in the NFL!" While that's arguable, he's a free agent in 2015 and it's a good way to start campaigning for that big contract extension.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »