Home

Sports Daily: The Success of Short QBs in the NFL

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: The Success of Short QBs in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: The Success of Short QBs in the NFL

We can forgive him considering his youthful ignorance, but Johnny Manziel says Russell Wilson deserves credit for "paving the way" for short QBs.

History doesn't always translate well when comparing players to the strains of the modern-day NFL, but Fran Tarkenton, Sonny Jurgesen, and Drew Brees -- just to name a few -- might have an argument.

Elite quarterbacks who struggle to reach 6' in stature isn't the norm, and the fact that they're limited enough in numbers to garner a 'list' only helps to illustrate the risk involved with taking on vertically challenged signal-callers. Magnify that choice with the importance of a first-round draft pick and suddenly taking someone like Johnny Manziel with a No. 1 selection becomes an all-or-nothing option for NFL GM's.

Sound Off: Will Johnny Manziel be a franchise quarterback or will other factors, including his size, limit his long-term success in the NFL?

Sports Headlines for February 17, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Sports Daily: The Success of Short QBs in the NFL

Before I go into Manziel specifically, I want to address the height thing. A while back I had the privilege of watching a game from 1994 which involved Drew Bledsoe during said game Don Criqui noted a conversation that he had with Marv Levy who stated that Bledsoe was the first star QB in NFL history at 6'5 or taller. If we go by that then it can reasonably be said that the idea of the big hulking QB is a relatively recent phenomenon that quickly became common wisdom which shut out shorter guys. It's true that the list of 6 feet and under guys is small enough to be, well a list isn't necessarily a bad thing. Including Wilson that list comes up to 18. If we include Wilson, the list of very good QBs in that listing comes to 10 with Eddie LeBaron being "okay". That's a pretty impressive ratio IMO.

So I think it's fair to say the notion of the short QB automatically being a bad thing can be put to rest.

Now onto Manziel in particular, I think this kid needs a LOT of growing up to do. It's clear that he believes all the hype that he's gotten within the bubble that is the Texas A&M community and the cavalier way in which he took money etc etc (whether you agree that this shouldn't be an issue or not he DID break rules) shows his lack of maturity. That being said, he does have a lot of talent but the running around with reckless abandon that he does in the college level is the kind of thing that's going to lead to big injuries in the pros. If he can reign some of his tendencies to run around and work on his passing game then yes, he should be a pretty good QB but something tells me it's going to take some physical blows before he gets the message that he can't just use his feet to make things happen.

It also really depends on what team he lands in. If he goes to a team like Oakland or Cleveland where there's outside forces at play that can easily turn ugly then it's going to be an uphill battle for him. One of the big rumors is that he goes to Houston and since that's his home state it's going to create a TON of pressure. A rookie NFL coach with a kid with maturity issues and reckless style of play playing in his home state can really cause a stir. If he has moderate success it's going to blow up the way Tony Romo's rise in Dallas but if it's slow going for Manziel people are going to get VERY antsy especially considering what happened to Matt Schaub last season.

So I think it's a 60/40 proposition with 60% being that there will be factors that will limit Manziel's success in the NFL but I DON'T think size will be one of those factors.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
His accuracy and thinness will be why he isn't successful. There have been shorter QB's, but they could place the ball where they needed and rarely took big hits. Not sure he can spot the ball where he wants it yet and his ego is too big for him to get down to avoid getting rocked.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Banned

Manziel is too immature mentally to compare him to Wilson outside of size. He's going to struggle a lot at the pro level. That said, if he can get his head together and is willing to work, he can some day be a polished NFL starter, but I can't see it happening as soon as it did for Russell Wilson.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
To be honest, the height thing isn't so much an issue, it really comes down to vision and hand size. Wilson may be a small guy, but he has great backfield vision and his hands are bigger than guys like Luck and Griffin, so it definitely helps him control the ball whether passing or moving in the pocket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Manziel is too immature mentally to compare him to Wilson outside of size. He's going to struggle a lot at the pro level. That said, if he can get his head together and is willing to work, he can some day be a polished NFL starter, but I can't see it happening as soon as it did for Russell Wilson.
Well I wasn't comparing him to Wilson. The first part of my response was strictly based on the size argument and then I gave my opinion on Manziel himself which is pretty critical.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Banned

I wasn't responding to any particular post. I was just giving my view.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

It's not sure QBs. It's the hands. Has it ever been documented that QB failed because he couldn't see over the line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »