Home

NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NASCAR '14 Official Impression Thread

Looking forward for the review, i know it won't be what i get in Iracing, but hope it's more or less "sim" with a decent AI for when i want to play offline.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I ran two quick races over my lunch break. One at Michigan, one at Vegas, with the stock "setups" the game provides. Here's some impressions from me:

- AI seemed better to race with. I didn't notice any issues with brake checking etc. while in the pack at Michigan.

- As mentioned earlier, player handling is different. I like the feel better as well.

- If you played the last version of this title, this one will look almost identical in the menu's and such aside from some color changes etc. It's eerily similar which I guess has become the norm for most sports titles.

- The visuals/graphics to me... seem like theyve been downgraded. I was playing NTGIL a few nights ago, and it looked great on my TV using the picture settings I normally watch TV with. I play most other games that way as well. This one... looked awful. Just awful, the colors were bad, things were blurry. So, I flipped my tv over to "game mode" and it looked better, much better, but still nowhere near as nice as the previous version did. To say I'm disappointed in that, would be a big understatement. One of the thigns that made even the poor previous versions of this title enjoyable to me were the visuals, now, not so much. Using a 60" Samsung LED here... I'm going to try the game out on my 52" plasma later tonight and see if its the TV, but I'm doubting that, because like I said, I was playing NTGIL the other night and it looked fantastic. Something is going on here...

- Didn't get a chance to dig into career, season, or anything like that though. Just had time for two quickies at Michigan and Vegas, the racing seemed improved.

- That being said... I didn't use any tire wear either, not enough time to really play with it, so I'm not sure how the AI handles pitting etc. etc.

- I found it extremely hard to trigger a caution though. I could get AI cars loose by hitting them if I wanted to, but they'd typically just slide around, hit the wall, and keep going with no caution, or complete spin, just this weird almost like side to side slide until it hit the wall. Disappointed a bit there, but... hard to judge based on two quick races.

Those are some initial thoughts of mine.. .
Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22

Good points --Here are my initial observations after 1 quick race at Daytona:

1. I do agree that visuals seem to be a downgrade - that was disappointing.

2. I put the AI at 35% and the AI pretty much ran as a pack the entire race.

3. I do agree that the feel is a bit better and maybe easier to control the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I ran two quick races over my lunch break. One at Michigan, one at Vegas, with the stock "setups" the game provides. Here's some impressions from me:

- AI seemed better to race with. I didn't notice any issues with brake checking etc. while in the pack at Michigan.

- As mentioned earlier, player handling is different. I like the feel better as well.

- If you played the last version of this title, this one will look almost identical in the menu's and such aside from some color changes etc. It's eerily similar which I guess has become the norm for most sports titles.

- The visuals/graphics to me... seem like theyve been downgraded. I was playing NTGIL a few nights ago, and it looked great on my TV using the picture settings I normally watch TV with. I play most other games that way as well. This one... looked awful. Just awful, the colors were bad, things were blurry. So, I flipped my tv over to "game mode" and it looked better, much better, but still nowhere near as nice as the previous version did. To say I'm disappointed in that, would be a big understatement. One of the thigns that made even the poor previous versions of this title enjoyable to me were the visuals, now, not so much. Using a 60" Samsung LED here... I'm going to try the game out on my 52" plasma later tonight and see if its the TV, but I'm doubting that, because like I said, I was playing NTGIL the other night and it looked fantastic. Something is going on here...

- Didn't get a chance to dig into career, season, or anything like that though. Just had time for two quickies at Michigan and Vegas, the racing seemed improved.

- That being said... I didn't use any tire wear either, not enough time to really play with it, so I'm not sure how the AI handles pitting etc. etc.

- I found it extremely hard to trigger a caution though. I could get AI cars loose by hitting them if I wanted to, but they'd typically just slide around, hit the wall, and keep going with no caution, or complete spin, just this weird almost like side to side slide until it hit the wall. Disappointed a bit there, but... hard to judge based on two quick races.

Those are some initial thoughts of mine.. .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Speculation of course, but my guess is they might have subtracted some graphical assets to free up RAM space for the AI, or math needed elsewhere.

I'm holding for Bob's review before I lift a finger to even think about buying again this year.

I need to hear more about complete races with AI pitting...the concerns that Terry posted about.

I know Ed already said the paint shop was pretty much the same but would like to hear if there are some new sponsors we can use?

We need to know about online racing and the bubble effect...in particular if Terry or I would take each other out without trying again like on Inside Line lol.

So far it's really sounding like IL 2.0, but like I said, Bob's review and some thorough testing by him and other trusted OS racers here will be appreciated.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Speculation of course, but my guess is they might have subtracted some graphical assets to free up RAM space for the AI, or math needed elsewhere.

I'm holding for Bob's review before I lift a finger to even think about buying again this year.

I need to hear more about complete races with AI pitting...the concerns that Terry posted about.

I know Ed already said the paint shop was pretty much the same but would like to hear if there are some new sponsors we can use?

We need to know about online racing and the bubble effect...in particular if Terry or I would take each other out without trying again like on Inside Line lol.

So far it's really sounding like IL 2.0, but like I said, Bob's review and some thorough testing by him and other trusted OS racers here will be appreciated.

I don't have the game but someone I know does and he said the bubble effect was still there but that it was less then the last game. He said it doesn't seem as near as bad as before.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc85
Good points --Here are my initial observations after 1 quick race at Daytona:

1. I do agree that visuals seem to be a downgrade - that was disappointing.

2. I put the AI at 35% and the AI pretty much ran as a pack the entire race.

3. I do agree that the feel is a bit better and maybe easier to control the car.
I'm glad it's not just me that thought that then. The tv I was playing on today, I've only had for a few weeks now, so I thought maybe Im just not used to the switch from Plasma to LED in that room yet etc. etc. Im still going to run a race on the plasma I used to play on later tonight and see, but hearing it from someone else too at least makes me feel a bit better it's not just me, or my eyes in my old age!

I don't want to get others upset who dont have it, It's not that the game looks bad, because it still looks good. It just feels like its been downgraded. The menu's look almost a bit blurry in spots with some of the wording, the cars the same at times, lots of jaggies around alot of edges. Stuff that I typically don't notice, or care about, really jumped out at me this afternoon. Normally others complain about it, I read it here, but rarely ever notice or care at home.

That being said, there were also several times I was running from the in car, or roof cam, with wide open track in front of me, and it still does look really good for the most part.

I forgot to mention too, I ran two laps at Daytona too under testing mode. Felt good. Looked ok too.

Also want to mention, I was using a controller today too, felt I had no major issues at all controlling the car, or holding my line through the turns at Daytona. That's a huge plus for me, and any of you casual racers out there that may not have a wheel, or want to invest in one.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan

Well Dan - due to bad weather I just got the game in the mail this morning. I am playing both the PS3 and PC version and running short to long runs, and testing the AI on 50% difficulty up to 75/80% so far. They run so much better at the 75/80 mark than the default 50. Testing career right now, and will be testing online tonight hopefully - goals is to have the review done tomorrow, and possibly live tomorrow also -
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Well Dan - due to bad weather I just got the game in the mail this morning. I am playing both the PS3 and PC version and running short to long runs, and testing the AI on 50% difficulty up to 75/80% so far. They run so much better at the 75/80 mark than the default 50. Testing career right now, and will be testing online tonight hopefully - goals is to have the review done tomorrow, and possibly live tomorrow also -

Bob, I can help you test out the online performance and functionality tonight. (PC version)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »