Home

Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Sound Off: Time To Slow Down College Offenses?

Don't feed me this BS about it being for the safety of the player. Soccer doesn't need a rule like this, neither does rugby or basketball. That's a hilariously bad reason.

As far as the substitution thing goes, isn't that the point of the offense? To get any advantage possible against a defense? And so they found a way to do that, so instead of making the defense finds a way to adjust, we're going to candy them?

Quote:
These offenses are not creative. They rely on smoke, mirror and gimmicks to find mismatches to key on. The read option uses deception. Spread offenses flood the field. Nothing creative about that. The good thing about those offenses is that they are comprised of guys who don't like to get hit, so when they face a physical defense, you can usually call the night nurse for them.

This guy.

@AdamdotH
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

This new rule proposal is a joke i call bs on it being about player safety. There are reports are saying this is coming from Nick Sabin and Bret Bielema. I like that teams run different offenses. The last thing college football needs is bland football. Hey Nick Sabin and Bret Bielema shut up and defend these quick offenses stop trying to legislate everything.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2
Sounds like a supposedly great coach is getting beaten by a philosophy that is different to his own. Rather than innovate to regain an advantage, like the truly great coaches of the past have done, he cries foul and raises his concerns based on safety... It always stinks more at low tide...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
These offenses are not creative. They rely on smoke, mirror and gimmicks to find mismatches to key on. The read option uses deception. Spread offenses flood the field. Nothing creative about that. The good thing about those offenses is that they are comprised of guys who don't like to get hit, so when they face a physical defense, you can usually call the night nurse for them.
Sounds like everything that you have described is the very definition of "creative".

Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Rookie

tbennett54's Arena

OVR: 5

Hell no, if this passes I may be done with college football. How can teams like Marshall compete against the power 5 conferences? Maybe that's the point.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
As much as I hate the gimmick of it, I enjoy the hurry up offenses because they put the ball in the hands of playmakers. That's what every sport wants: dynamic players making explosive, highlight-reel plays that results in points.

I'm not a fan of all the constant tweaks because it's being thrown under the guise of player safety. Plus, there is not a long enough sample size taken to see how new rules affect the game before newer rules are added. Football is definitely morphing into something different. Things are far less structured and "templated" and now taking on elements of basketball, rugby, and hockey. Players are more reactionary which speeds up the game.

With that said, my biggest gripe is that players are no longer students of the game. When tempo has the utmost importance, players tend to lose technique, don't have to learn to diagnose plays, and rely solely on athleticism. It drives me mad when an college QB looks to the sideline to essentially have everything fed to him, it shows there is no onus on the player to learn his craft. This is why coaches love the spread offenses: players only need to learn a small sampling before they contribute, but the players themselves learn nothing of the sport which will keep their careers going long term.

We see the trickle down and trickle up of this already. Defenders are abysmal tacklers, take horrible angles, can't seem to read offenses, etc. Where as on offense, we see WRs & QBs transitioning quickly to the NFL - remember when it took until "year 3" of these positions before they were solid contributors? - but then when these players face smart, schemes/teams, they crumble and get exploited.

In all, it just feels really unfortunate that the game is solely being geared to benefit the offense. We saw this in the NBA in the last decade or so when defenders could no longer get physical, so point totals shot up drastically, offensive stats blossomed, and technique/fundamentals get downright sloppy. There were far too many "kids" basically playing street ball. And since the NBA offenses have more pull, things like "flopping" became a phenomenon. Can you imagine even 5 years ago an NFL player getting away with flopping? What about 10, 15 years? Now we see WR's calling for a flag more so than fighting for the reception.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
i think there should be a rule where the ball cannot be snapped within the first 10-15 seconds at the start of the 40 second play clock. This up-tempo offenses are all just a gimick. I dont wanna see gimicks win football games. I wanna see one team say my talent is bettter than yours and we are show you. All these quick WR screeens and passing 60-80 times are all for teams who dont necessarily have the talent to run a real offense and beat someone with their talent. Its becoming ridiculous.
Plus it isnt fair to the defense because you cant just say to a coach, hey as long as the other team doesnt sub you cant sub either. That gives a huge advantage to the offense. I want to see great games with teams physically beating another team. This will never happen though because that would mean the oregons of the world wouludnt even be on the same field as top neir teams. (talent wise)
The game has become way to geared toward the offensive side of the ball. its really a shame. People have forgotten that a great football game also involves great defense. I just the NCAA passes a rule where the offense isnt allowed to snap the wall within 10 or 15 seconds at the start of the 40 second play clock
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Banned

Omar_Coming's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
This up-tempo offenses are all just a gimick. I dont wanna see gimicks win football games.
people used to say the forward pass was a gimmick

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »