Home

Sports Daily: The Limiting of Home-Plate Collisons by MLB

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: The Limiting of Home-Plate Collisons by MLB within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: The Limiting of Home-Plate Collisons by MLB

Are baseball players or lawyers coming up with MLB rules?

The league announced yesterday they will implement a ban on egregious home-plate collisions in what lines up to be a one-year experiment for the 2014 season -- including language that allows for use of the new video-review system on the plays as well. Simple enough, right? Better get your red ink pen and find some blank space in your rule book.

The new rule, 7.13, declares: Quote:
"...a runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate)."

So essentially, catchers are still allowed to block the plate if they have the ball or are in the act of fielding a ball that carries them into the path of the runner -- but, runners also have limits:

Quote:
"...the failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation."

Oh, and get this. The plays will be subject to review under the MLB's new replay system.

Sound Off: Do you agree with the MLB's new ruling that limits home-plate collisions?

Sports Headlines for February 25, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
I'll wait and see how this is interpreted by umpires before deciding if it's a good thing or not. On the face of it it should stop intentional collisions.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Only by reading it I am left scratching my head. A catcher may still block the plate, but if the runner "lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms" he breaks the rule? So am I too understand that a runner is expected to run flat into a braced catcher??
Old 02-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Rookie

Nexgenrulz's Arena

OVR: 2
I too read this rule and I am confused as well. Clear as mud. How about they just leave it the way it is? Sounds like MLB is going in the same direction as the NFL. I've already stopped watching the NFL because of their "new rules" and the direction they're going, and now it looks like baseball isn't far behind.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Sports Daily: The Limiting of Home-Plate Collisons by MLB

I hate the rule. Less so because of the actual writing, but the reason it's put in. I ranted about it on Facebook... thinking of bringing that talk over here. It's Blzer-esque so I know it'll be a tl;dr note anyway.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

I love the new rule. Anything that will reduce concussions and serious injuries is a plus.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 2

I just think it is stupid just because posy got hurt they are going to make this rule how often do you even see home plate collision like 3 times a year? They don't happen that often.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

While this is a rare play and while I was not on-board with it in the beginning, I actually think that this rule will be a plus for the game in the future. Nobody wants to see their star catcher or even baserunner get injured because of a play at the plate. That's especially true with catchers because they are so prone to breaking down over their career. The runner now has to go for the plate, not the catcher. The catcher also has to make room until he has control of the ball. It seems simple to me; I guess we'll see...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »